Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-16-2014, 10:53 PM   #1291
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
See Kindle_Touch_Hacking#Blocking_Official_Updates

There are two possible blockers, and to be extra careful, it wouldn't be a bad idea to use both.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:21 AM   #1292
cqwang
cqwang began at the beginning.

Device: KPW2
Is it possible to enable both cover and random mode? I tried and cover overrides random.

The way I'd like it to work would be:
a) if a book is currently open, then display its cover
b) else (i.e. at the home screen, etc), then display a random png

is it possible?
cqwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2014, 08:16 AM   #1293
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqwang View Post
Is it possible to enable both cover and random mode?
Unfortunately no.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #1294
frakman1
frakman1 began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Sorry if this has been asked before but I was wondering if it is possible to tweak the time before the screensaver actually kicks in.

Thanks
frakman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #1295
Zombater
Enthusiast
Zombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
I have jailbroken and am on version 5.4.3.2 yet Update Your Kindle is grayed out.
Zombater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2014, 08:27 AM   #1296
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombater View Post
I have jailbroken and am on version 5.4.3.2 yet Update Your Kindle is grayed out.
Is your Kindle a model 9017?
Did you use the package from this thread or from NiLuJe's snapshot thread?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:37 AM   #1297
Zombater
Enthusiast
Zombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheeseZombater can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Is your Kindle a model 9017?
Did you use the package from this thread or from NiLuJe's snapshot thread?
Yeah, it's a 9017. Why, should I be using the ones from his snapshot thread? And I want custom screensavers from the net, do I need to install both Python and linkss or just linkss? Thanks for your help.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:46 AM   #1298
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombater View Post
Yeah, it's a 9017. Why, should I be using the ones from his snapshot thread? And I want custom screensavers from the net, do I need to install both Python and linkss or just linkss? Thanks for your help.
The update_*.bin packages are both "model locked" and "cryptographically signed".

The packages in NiLuJe's snapshot thread recognize the 9017 model Kindles.

Most other packages have not (yet) been re-built with the newest package tool.
That will not happen until NiLuJe "releases" the newest KindleTool.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #1299
Zombater
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The update_*.bin packages are both "model locked" and "cryptographically signed".

The packages in NiLuJe's snapshot thread recognize the 9017 model Kindles.

Most other packages have not (yet) been re-built with the newest package tool.
That will not happen until NiLuJe "releases" the newest KindleTool.
Umm do I need to install both Python and linkss or just linkss for random screensavers?

*nvm got it*

Last edited by Zombater; 08-22-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #1300
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@frakman1: Technically, yes, but doing it in a safe, idiot-proof way is a risky proposition (needs an edit of system files loaded at early boot, if the syntax is wrong == brick).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:25 AM   #1301
Zombater
Enthusiast

YABADABADOO I GOT IT TO WORK UNTIL IT BROKE!

I had it working for one day until my dad jumped in and updated it to 5.4.5.1

This is the second time... sigh.

Do I need to install it again? Just asking cuz I don't wanna screw up and brick my kindle.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:50 AM   #1302
knc1
Going Viral

#1: It may not have been "Dad" -
It could have been an OTA (Over The Air) update from Amazon.

Yes - you have to re-install everything (or at least those things that are now broke).

To avoid any more OTA surprise gifts from Amazon - -

• Put device in "airplane mode" - leave it there - watch out for when the device "restarts" it might take the device out of "airplane mode" - if it does, immediately put it back into "airplane mode".
  • Choose the firmware version you want to run -
    Big Note: If this is a 4Gbyte PW2 and you want to use "Active Documents" - your choices are 5.4.5 or 5.4.5.1
  • Downgrade to desired firmware version (if required).
    You've done that before, no changes to what you already know.
  • Re-Install things -
    Start with the newest JB snapshot that NiLuJe posted yesterday - since that will also install MKK and the Jailbreak Bridge along with the actual JB.
    https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030
  • Also install KUAL
  • Also install the KUAL "Backdoor Lock"
  • "Lock" the backdoor
  • **NOW** you can take the device out of "airplane mode" if you want to.

[1] Dads who are members here are fairly "fast learners".

You might check out what control the device's "Parental Controls" give you - -
I have never used it, but it seems to say it is for keeping the parents out of the kid's toys.

Last edited by knc1; 08-23-2014 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:45 PM   #1303
cbraun
cbraun began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Murakami wins

Hello,

I seem to have issues installing the screensaver hack on my PW2, model 9017. The PW came pre-installed with 5.4.5.1, which I downgraded to 5.4.3.2 before installing the JailBreak.

I have used the BINs from NiLuJe's snapshot thread so that the python and screensavers updates run correctly.

The problem I seem to have is that the default screensaver (Murakami quote) keeps being displayed. I have read the FAQ and correctly restarted the kindle (USB out!) but despite the files seemingly being correctly installed (directories are in place and update was successful), I dont see NiLuJe's screensaver. Adding the empty "cover" file does not change anything.

When the kindle is restarted, I get the "S checking screensavers..." message, but "Cover" not working.

I have dived back in the forum and found references to the "Waterstone" location for the screen saver, but am not too sure how to proceed (or if this is the issue). The thread on Waterstone is mainly about finding the location of the files. For the "cover" mode to work, do I need to delete the Waterstone screeensaver file? Or is the hack simply not yet working with my version?

Help welcome.

Thank you
cbraun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:03 PM   #1304
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@cbraun: That's a Waterstones device. You should see a Waterstones button in the KUAL settings for the ScreenSavers hack. Enable that, and restart your device.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:45 PM   #1305
cbraun
cbraun began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Thank you NiLuJe

Yes it it a Waterstone device.

I did not install it with the KUAL extension. I will obviously do this now, but do I have to uninstall anything before. or just proceed with the KUAL installation and re-install the screensaver hack?

Also, it's KUAL or KUAL+ I should install?
cbraun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch