Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2011, 07:45 AM   #16
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I must admit I like that photoshop'd layout of the books on a shelf.

@timlegge: thanks for the Calibre work. It's very much appreciated. Out of interest do you work for Kobo or just work on this on the side?
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:31 AM   #17
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by molman View Post
@timlegge: thanks for the Calibre work. It's very much appreciated. Out of interest do you work for Kobo or just work on this on the side?
Thanks. I am not associated with Kobo so this is on the side. However, kobo has been very helpful and has provided me with several Kobos to allow testing and development for the various versions.

In addition, their beta program allows me to test and code for upcoming releases before they are made available. I particularly weird areas I have been able to ask for clarification on how things work. All in all they have been remarkable helpful.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #18
Latch
Porcupine Tree fan
Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I jut hope that Kobo doesn't start to ignore the Touch now that the Vox is out and getting all the attention.
Latch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #19
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Well, we're getting at least one more big firmware update - to add (*spit*) Pulse.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #20
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Well, we're getting at least one more big firmware update - to add (*spit*) Pulse.
Pulse to an e-ink reader? I hope they have something more compatible than a pulsing area at the bottom of the screen. :P
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:01 PM   #21
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
Thanks. I am not associated with Kobo so this is on the side. However, kobo has been very helpful and has provided me with several Kobos to allow testing and development for the various versions.

In addition, their beta program allows me to test and code for upcoming releases before they are made available. I particularly weird areas I have been able to ask for clarification on how things work. All in all they have been remarkable helpful.

Tim
Well thanks all the more for doing this in your spare time, I very much apreciate it. It's also nice to know Kobo is supporting your efforts. Out of curiousity what language is the coding done in? Python?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latch View Post
I jut hope that Kobo doesn't start to ignore the Touch now that the Vox is out and getting all the attention.
I hope so too. Curious what the track record is with regards to the older Kobo models when new ones came out?
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #22
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Well thanks all the more for doing this in your spare time, I very much apreciate it. It's also nice to know Kobo is supporting your efforts. Out of curiousity what language is the coding done in? Python?

I hope so too. Curious what the track record is with regards to the older Kobo models when new ones came out?
Yes, much of Calibre (the drivers in particular) is written in Python. With respect to Calibre I try to ensure that it supports all the older hardware but I normally ask that users be on the most recent firmware version for that device.

Kobo typically supports earlier hardware but there is a limit. We have not seen any updates for the original kobo in a while.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #23
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post

Tim
Glad to read that Kobo has been so helpful. After all they could look on Calibre as being competition of sorts. Or decreasing revenue, etc.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:26 AM   #24
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
-
I don't think it will make any difference because Kobo doesn't own ANDROID .

The Vox is running Gingerbread with a Kobo/Kindle App (Unless I really got something messed up). So really Kobo will just be updating the reading App which has been around for quite awhile.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:28 AM   #25
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
There are some differences between the stock Android reading app and the one on the Vox. For example, Vox has pulse and the other Android App does not (yet). We know that Kobo is planning another Kobo WiFi update and is continuing to develop the Touch.

In the realm of wild speculation, I would not be surprised if, at some point, we saw a 6 inch eINK Android reader.

PS: The iOS App has support for collections and more stats for reading life. The big question, for me, has to do with ADE support (present on our Kobo Touch, not on Vox (and not expected, from what I hear) and how they end up supporting sideloaded books, in general. They have different teams working on the various platforms, and even if they are all heading in the same direction, they may not get there at the same time.

Last edited by taming; 11-04-2011 at 05:56 AM. Reason: PS
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:02 PM   #26
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
In the realm of wild speculation, I would not be surprised if, at some point, we saw a 6 inch eINK Android reader.
That would be cool. Though the user should not expect it to run all android apps, those that do not require extensive animation and are relatively basic could be supported. (e.g. a simple dice rolling app, Other casual puzzle games, simple tools like English/Metric conversion)
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #27
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latch View Post
They won't if they have any business sense. The Touch and Vox appeal to different markets.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #28
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
deleted

Last edited by filmo; 11-07-2011 at 12:00 PM. Reason: wromg thread
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote