Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #76
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Since it has no external micro-SD slot, it will be interesting to find out if it has an internal slot like most of the other models do, and if it is easy to open the case to access it. The Kobo Mini didn't have an external slot, but it was very easy to open it up and replace the internal card with something larger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cme View Post
There you go
http://allesebook.de/e-book-reader/k...29-euro-62704/

Prices:
$129.99 (CA/US), €129.99 (EU), £109.99 (UK), $179.99 (AU), $219.99 (NZ)
It is interesting to compare the prices in the same currency. As a multiple of the Canadian price, at today's exchange rates:

Canada: 1.00, US: 1.25, EU: 1.35, UK: 1.57, Australia: 1.33, NZ: 1.59

So Canada gets the best deal fair enough, but UK and NZ not so good.

Edit: This pic from the Glo HD overview on Kobo's website shows the advanced font settings (TypeGenius) with seperate weight and sharpness sliders, like they used to be in earlier firmware. Hopefully this means they will be bringing the seperate sliders back in the next firmware?

Last edited by GeoffR; 04-07-2015 at 07:02 PM. Reason: ... seperate weight and sharpness sliders ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:24 PM   #77
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
The Kobo Device comparison page doesn't provide for the H2O and the new device to be compared - the H2O doesn't show as existing.

Or am I wrong? (I'm looking at the page from Aus)

https://www.kobo.com/devices/compare#ereaders

Edit
Mmmm .... so the release of this device may be why the Kobo 'Refer' promo has been extended .....
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2015, 09:05 PM   #78
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
It is interesting to compare the prices in the same currency.
Considering the exchange rate and the GST, the Australian price is cheaper than the US price, if there isn't any US local sales tax.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:48 PM   #79
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Chapters Canada preorder:
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/...7080-item.html

Case:
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/...6755-item.html
or
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/...6762-item.html
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:05 PM   #80
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
The Kobo Device comparison page doesn't provide for the H2O and the new device to be compared - the H2O doesn't show as existing.

Or am I wrong? (I'm looking at the page from Aus)

https://www.kobo.com/devices/compare#ereaders

Edit
Mmmm .... so the release of this device may be why the Kobo 'Refer' promo has been extended .....
https://www.kobo.com/devices/compare#ereaders look here.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2015, 10:41 PM   #81
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Nice to see that Kobo is not asking an arm and a leg for the new cover. They merely ask for a pint of blood instead.

But really, $30 is a nice surprise.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 12:19 AM   #82
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Glo is dead. I cannot see why anyone would by a new Glo when the Glo HD is the same price.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:31 AM   #83
Antioch
Connoisseur
Antioch began at the beginning.

Device: Nook STR, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
... does the Glo HD feel heavier or look chunkier?
Well, looking at the images released thus far it does look chunky. Though, I'd rather say bulbous. It looks thicker than the H2O (but it's actually thinner) and the display looks more recessed. It's probably just a trick of the eyes because the width/height are smaller than the H2O.

Really want to see side-by-side pictures!

Edit: Also it seems like the back is more textured (is it still the same rubbery plastic?) and the front bezel is a matte black whereas the H2O, while not glossy, is still reflective.

Last edited by Antioch; 04-08-2015 at 02:35 AM.
Antioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:33 AM   #84
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The H2O has a Carta screen with IR touch, and looking at this pic from post #1 the inside edge of the Glo HD's bezel looks a lot like the H2O's.

But if there is no SD slot and no IR touch then I think I would go for the H2O instead of the Glo HD when it comes time to replace my Glo.
I just checked eInk's site. It wasn't listed in the specifications. Thanks for the information.

It is very cold where I live (40 degrees in the summer, -20 degrees in the winter, I hate our climate) and my big, woolly mittens doesn't work with standard touch screens =)
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:44 AM   #85
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
I just checked eInk's site. It wasn't listed in the specifications. Thanks for the information.

It is very cold where I live (40 degrees in the summer, -20 degrees in the winter, I hate our climate) and my big, woolly mittens doesn't work with standard touch screens =)
Have you tried something like this?
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:20 AM   #86
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Have you tried something like this?
The problem with special gloves when you live in a cold climate is that it's not a one-pair per season deal. You have many different weight gloves for the various weather from 50°F down to -10°F. That can get pretty expensive. It's one of the main reasons I'll never switch to a capacitive touch reader. And most of the gloves have just the index finger with the special conductive material. I swipe with my thumb most often. And no, I don't want to make all my fall/winter/spring gloves weird looking by sewing on conductive thread myself to save money.

This reader looks interesting enough that I'll have to take a look at it. Lack of an SD card doesn't bother me at all, I usually keep no more than 400-500 books on my readers at a time, deleting those I've read. I prefer to keep the entire library in one spot on my PC (with backups to other HDs). When I first got my Glo it was locking quite often, like every few days, with the original firmware requiring full factory resets, so I got in the habit of carrying an SD card in my wallet just in case it ever happens while I'm out for the day. But of course, since I'm prepared for that disaster, I've never had to use it yet. So that's been the only use of an SD card for my purposes. And if it has 4GB space on it, that's 2GB more than what I'm used to (and always still have plenty of room left on a 2GB reader).

It looks though like the back is shaped that weird way that the H2O is shaped and I'm not sure I'll like that. It adds thickness to the reader, and is pointless if you use a case since the cover folds back while reading and you've turned it into a flat back at that point.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:51 AM   #87
bernard.ryefield
Connoisseur
bernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Desktop, Kindle Desktop, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
I am hoping this is not a trend for Kobo not to include MicroSD Card slot in their products.
Actually it's a trend in all e-readers: http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...has-no-sd-card
bernard.ryefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:56 AM   #88
bernard.ryefield
Connoisseur
bernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beautybernard.ryefield does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Desktop, Kindle Desktop, Kobo Forma
Glo vs Glo HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Glo is dead. I cannot see why anyone would by a new Glo when the Glo HD is the same price.
Actually the Glo has a SD card slot contrary to the HD, so is well alive!

No SD card, no buy!
bernard.ryefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:03 AM   #89
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Wish I could pre-order it from The Netherlands.. this is the answer of the difference between the Aura HD and my normal Glo !!
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:08 AM   #90
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
... Kobo Glo HD will be available in black and will retail for $129.99 CAD/USD (MSRP)** online and in-store, starting May 1 in Canada, the US, Australia, and New Zealand; ...
So is there any hope that the Glo HD will be available at B&Ms in the U.S. on May 1?

I'll probably pick one up soon. I'll wait for the initial reports (I'm concerned about dead spot problems) and firmware patching is working.

Well done Kobo!
John F is offline   Reply With Quote