Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #1816
riothamus
Connoisseur
riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!riothamus rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: None
Not sure if its a fluke or not, but I'm getting the 403 error with ff.net again. A few hours ago everything was working fine and I got several stories downloaded. Just tried to do an update and no go.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #1817
cryzed
Evangelist
cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
That's probably because FanFiction.Net doesn't want something that looks like an entirely automated bot network (spanning hundreds of IPs) crawling their website -- It currently looks like that, because the same exact non-default user-agent header is used by a wide range of users, thus they blocked it, just like they did with the Python urllib default user-agent.

An easy fix for this would be to simply allow users to customize the user-agent in their personal.ini configuration file, and set it to something commonly used.

Last edited by cryzed; 09-08-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Advert
Old 09-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #1818
RenoA
RenoA began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Actually, my FFDL was working before I updated it to 1.7.41. I think I had 1.7.39 before that, and it worked fine, then I updated and it stopped. Incidentally, I also updated Calibre from 1.1 to 1.2 at the same time. I tried the fix on the previous page, and it didn't work :/
Old 09-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #1819
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by riothamus View Post
Not sure if its a fluke or not, but I'm getting the 403 error with ff.net again. A few hours ago everything was working fine and I got several stories downloaded. Just tried to do an update and no go.
Hrm. This is what I've been afraid of. Looks like they are now specifically blocking our new FFDL User-agent, too.

I need to think about how I want to handle this for a bit. Morally, not technologically. I have a whole bag full of tricks I could apply (including cryzed's suggestion).

At a minimum, however, downloading ffnet stories will be slowed down significantly-- probably 5x slower.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:05 PM   #1820
cryzed
Evangelist
cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
It's definitely the blocked user-agent, I know because when changing it to something more common in the "base_adapter.py" file it works perfectly again.
Advert
Old 09-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #1821
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryzed View Post
It's definitely the blocked user-agent, I know because when changing it to something more common in the "base_adapter.py" file it works perfectly again.
Yep. It's the 'FFDL' part now, not even the specific string. (The Modify Headers add-on in Firefox is extremely useful for web developers.)
Old 09-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #1822
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Attached is another version to try. It significantly increases the wait between chapter fetches on ffnet.

User agent remains configured as:
Code:
## User-agent
#user_agent:FFDL/1.7
UPDATE Sep 14 2013 - Remove obsolete beta versions

Last edited by JimmXinu; 09-14-2013 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 09-09-2013, 03:05 AM   #1823
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
I gave it a go and it works, thank you. It wasn't that much slower for me (but then I'm on wireless and my connection speed is ordinary).

And I learned how to manually install a plugin! Go me!
Old 09-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #1824
Patricia1066
Zealot
Patricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kindle PW 10th gen, Kindle Fire 7 9th gen, Kindle KB 3rd gen
I installed fanfictiondownloader from the downloaded zip. It still shows 1.7.41 - am I doing something wrong? I deleted 1.7.41 then installed plugin from zip file.

I tried to install a new story from ff.net and got the and got the following log. Thats when I realised that the plugin had the same version number as the recent update.

Status Title Author Comment URL
Bad Unknown Unknown HTTP Error 403: Forbidden
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9250468/1/

Ignore this comment, I hadn't restarted calibre. Its downloading now.

Last edited by Patricia1066; 09-09-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #1825
Patricia1066
Zealot
Patricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to beholdPatricia1066 is a splendid one to behold

The plugin has not changed its version number after restart. The FFDL identified a valid URL, and started download. But no file was created.

The log says its been created. But I cannot find it.

Pastebin Paste ID: j8zRG0k3

Last edited by Patricia1066; 09-09-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #1826
BaconButty
Connoisseur
BaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enoughBaconButty will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 & iPad Mini & Galaxy Tab10
The recurrent 403 error from Fanfiction.net is resolved after a manual installation of JimmXinu's latest zip file (see comment #1822).

Thank you.

No noticeable speed reduction here.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #1827
seabream
Enthusiast
seabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-T1, RIM Playbook & Z10, Samsung Note, MacOSX
@BaconBuddy - I think that was the one Patricia1066 installed. Otherwise the version number question wouldn't make sense right? (ignore this comment if your comment at #1826 wasn't a reply to Patricia1066)

@Patricia1066 - JimmXinu generally doesn't give plugin versions an official higher number unless they are official releases. Posts announcing those look like #1815 or #1808. And unlike #1822, don't contain an attached version. So the lack of change in version number doesn't mean that you're doing anything wrong. It's supposed to look that way. Can you post the log file from the one where it says it created a file that doesn't show up?

Last edited by seabream; 09-09-2013 at 08:27 AM. Reason: typo correction, clarification
Old 09-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #1828
Patricia1066
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabream View Post
@BaconBuddy - I think that was the one Patricia1066 installed. Otherwise the version number question wouldn't make sense right?

Yes it is the downloaded zip that I have installed.

@Patricia1066 - JimmXinu generally doesn't give plugin versions an official higher number unless they are official releases. Posts announcing those look like #1815 or #1808. And unlike #1822, don't contain an attached version. So the lack of change in version number doesn't mean that you're doing anything wrong. It's supposed to look that way. Can you post the log file from the failed download please?
Can you access it from the pastebin post #1825, or shall I paste it here?

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #1829
Patricia1066
Zealot

Stranger and stranger.

One successful download, which has not shown up.
One successful download which has shown up in the calibre library.

Same author, same site but different stories (ff.net)
Old 09-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #1830
seabream
Enthusiast
seabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheeseseabream can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-T1, RIM Playbook & Z10, Samsung Note, MacOSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia1066 View Post
Can you access it from the pastebin post #1825, or shall I paste it here?
Ah, so that's what that is. I'm not familiar with pastebin, so thought it might have been a signature I didn't understand.

Hmm. Reading the post, I don't have a better idea of what didn't work. Sorry. Maybe someone else will?
Closed Thread