Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-27-2009, 09:10 PM   #1
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Post Samsung launches e-book reader in Korea

Samsung Electronics has launched an e-book reader, the SNE-50K, in South Korea. The reader features a 5-inch screen and can display Power Point, Excel, Word, PDF, and BMP files, and also supports ePub. Samsung is working with bookstore Kyobo for the marketing of the e-book reader. The reader also allows you to take notes with a stylus, and features a calendar. The device weighs 200 grams and comes with 512 MB of memory. (I can't figure out if this is expandable – there's only so much Google Translate can do.) The device costs KRW 399,000 (USD 321).

The Korea Herald is quite critical of the reader and service. Apparently there are only 2,500 book titles available on Kyobo's online e-book store, and about 1,000 new titles will be updated every month. The books will be sold for 40% under the price of a paper book. The Korea Herald also said the screen size was disappointing, as was the lack of wireless connectivity.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
Samsung Electronics has launched an e-book reader, the SNE-50K, in South Korea. The reader features a 5-inch screen and can display Power Point, Excel, Word, PDF, and BMP files, and also supports ePub. Samsung is working with bookstore Kyobo for the marketing of the e-book reader. The reader also allows you to take notes with a stylus, and features a calendar. The device weighs 200 grams and comes with 512 MB of memory. (I can't figure out if this is expandable – there's only so much Google Translate can do.) The device costs KRW 399,000 (USD 321).

The Korea Herald is quite critical of the reader and service. Apparently there are only 2,500 book titles available on Kyobo's online e-book store, and about 1,000 new titles will be updated every month. The books will be sold for 40% under the price of a paper book. The Korea Herald also said the screen size was disappointing, as was the lack of wireless connectivity.
Thanks for the heads up

Looks pretty nifty, and I have the feeling we're at tipping point here with the adoption of ereaders.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
gfhuertac
gfhuertac has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gfhuertac has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gfhuertac has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gfhuertac has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gfhuertac has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Memory cannot be extended

메모리 확장 불가능. -> Memory cannot be extended
Dissapointing....

Does anyone know whether we can take notes on books, or the handwriting is limited to the memo and scheduler?
gfhuertac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:38 AM   #4
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfhuertac View Post
메모리 확장 불가능. -> Memory cannot be extended
Dissapointing....

Does anyone know whether we can take notes on books, or the handwriting is limited to the memo and scheduler?
Well that makes the specs pretty disappointing indeed. No idea about the notes, I'm thinking not.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:54 AM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
a big company like Samsung getting involved, that means more innovation. The first version always leaves a lot to be desired, they will catch up.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2009, 01:08 AM   #6
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Are people interested in a 5-inch screen? I have a PRS-700 with a 6-inch screen and it is far too small for effectively reading Word docs or PDFs (without reformatting). I'd prefer to see some bigger screens (though I think the Amazon DX is a bit big for my liking).
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:15 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgreedo View Post
Are people interested in a 5-inch screen? I have a PRS-700 with a 6-inch screen and it is far too small for effectively reading Word docs or PDFs (without reformatting). I'd prefer to see some bigger screens (though I think the Amazon DX is a bit big for my liking).
Better grab the iRex iLiad while you can. It is the only screen size device that you like.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:31 AM   #8
grimo1re
Geekette

Quote:
I don't know. In Japan reading books and manga on mobile phones is pretty popular and widespread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
a big company like Samsung getting involved, that means more innovation. The first version always leaves a lot to be desired, they will catch up.
Let's hope so. They could also find the device isn't very popular and get out of the e-book business altogether....
Old 07-28-2009, 01:32 AM   #9
grimo1re
Geekette

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Better grab the iRex iLiad while you can. It is the only screen size device that you like.

Dale
I'd love one...a little out of my budget though. Or I should just save up, or see what the new slew of devices is going to be like, or....oh, the humanity!
Old 07-28-2009, 01:35 AM   #10
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
better wait for the plastic logic reader. That is what I will do, then I will give the Sony to my wife, hehehe.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:36 AM   #11
grimo1re
Geekette

Heh, yeah, my husband's lusting after the Sony too
Old 07-28-2009, 01:52 AM   #12
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
5-inch is predominantly a book reader, not a general document viewer. I can format books for a 5 inch screen with an 8-point font that will be readable, if a bit ugly. Since the pixel pitch is a bit finer, perhaps feathering issues will be slightly less noticeable at standard reading distances.

I would like a nice pocketable device, but single-panel 5" screen, while OK, is not really my idea of a good book. Hopefully one day, someone will figure out a hinged/foldable display arrangement that isn't just a concept model.

Bigger readers like the plastic logic and irex seem nice, but I wouldn't carry them around to read books. I like my market paperback size...possibly as big as A5 (device, not screen).

I'll say that the OLPC 2.0 concept is a good direction for interface and design...though screen tech still needs to be developed further.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 07-28-2009 at 01:56 AM.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:55 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I've always read comfortably from my 3.4" screen. I only read mobi books (novels) and a smaller screen doesn't matter then.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:34 AM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re View Post
I'd love one...a little out of my budget though. Or I should just save up, or see what the new slew of devices is going to be like, or....oh, the humanity!
I haven't heard of a single new E-Ink device between 9.7" and 6". And the iLiad has passed into maintenance mode. It looks bleak for this size device currently.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #15
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Samsung introduces 5" reader in S. Korea

From CNET News:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10296228-1.html

South Korea only until next year.
The SNE-50K is a 5" reader, 600x800.
Supports handwriting recognition.
Korea price translates to about $270.

Everett
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote