Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-14-2014, 03:18 PM   #61
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Thank you! to all who have made recommendations and to Dr. Drib for starting the thread.

What a great way to focus in on an interesting genre.

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:23 PM   #62
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Here are some free books (90+ titles) at Smashwords classified as "steampunk & retropunk". Some titles are foreign language.

Thanks for the link.

I'll be picking up some titles.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2014, 03:25 PM   #63
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Why not fold my post about Steampunk books into this one? Click

I'd be happy to do that - I didn't want to trod on your thread, without permission - but I would like to keep my title.

If that's acceptable, please let know.

ADDED: Because your thread was created first, your post will be the first.

Don
(Moderator)
Old 08-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #64
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
The Internet Archive has some steampunk music if anyone is interested:Click
The first track rocks! Downloading the rest now.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:34 PM   #65
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

I'd be happy to do that - I didn't want to trod on your thread, without permission - but I would like to keep my title.

If that's acceptable, please let know.

ADDED: Because your thread was created first, your post will be the first.

Don
(Moderator)
I have no objection to you keeping the title as is. It makes sense for it to stay in fact as my 1st post was about just one steampunk book and the thread should reflect that it is about the sub-genre as a whole.

Last edited by crich70; 08-14-2014 at 04:21 PM.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #66
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
How do they define steampunk music?
I think it's a bit retro in that they mention air ships and then there are assorted sounds that make one think of clockwork etc. Some of it is pretty interesting listening.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:40 PM   #67
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
My favorite steampunk is the Foglios' GIRL GENIUS project.
It most honestly works steampunk as an offshoot of fantasy.
Yes! I mentioned those above. The originals were graphic novels. The stories are being reworked as regular (text-only) novels published by Night Shade Books and sold by Baen eBooks. The graphic novels are mostly available in hardback or paperback, but I see that they are becoming available in eBook omnibus editions. See http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C74OY6S for the first omnibus.

The first two standard novels are available from Baen for $6.00 or from Amazon for a whole lot more! (I didn't look at Kobo or B&N for their prices -- Baen certainly seems the best deal.) #1: Agatha H and the Airship City and #2: Agatha H and the Clockwork Princess. The third book, Agatha H and the Voice of the Castle is scheduled for release in mid-January. I don't know if it will be available from Baen, but I sure hope so. The pre-order price at Amazon is really high!
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:48 PM   #68
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
The first track rocks! Downloading the rest now.
My favorite is track 12: Airship Pirate. I like the rhythmic quality of the music.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #69
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
I enjoyed the Magnificent Devices books. I picked up the freebie of Lady of Devices and enjoyed it enough to buy the omnibus of the 1st four books. My niece flew through those 4 and quickly bought #5 & #6. I read the rest of the omnibus, still enjoying the series, and have queued up #5 (A Lady of Resources) for next week's Bout of Books read-a-thon.

I will point out that the protagonist is a 19-20 year old girl. She teams up with a gang of teen-agers. I think it may appeal more to young adults or to people who frequently read YA fiction.

I haven't read The Clockwork Scarab, so I can't compare it to the books that I have read and enjoyed. Based on the description at Amazon, you may find that your reaction to the Magnificent Devices series is much the same.
Thanks! I can't remember exactly but I think the girls in The Clockwork Scarab were about 16 years old, or thereabout. I'm not a big YA reader and I have to admit to an instinctive negative bias. I'll read YA but only on recommendation. And it didn't help that the character development never really took off, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
But steampunk is also a visual style and aesthetic. Part of the visual style involves Victorian materials and design elements applied to technology far out of the reach of the Victorian era.
When I first read about steampunk and saw book covers, this was the element that made the strongest impression on me, and made me want to try it out. And this was also my major source of disappointment in The Clockwork Scarab. It being my first steampunk read, I'm in no position to judge, but the mechanics (no pun intended) of the world didn't feel authentic to me.
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:19 PM   #70
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I enjoyed the Magnificent Devices books. I picked up the freebie of Lady of Devices and enjoyed it enough to buy the omnibus of the 1st four books. My niece flew through those 4 and quickly bought #5 & #6. I read the rest of the omnibus, still enjoying the series, and have queued up #5 (A Lady of Resources) for next week's Bout of Books read-a-thon.
I bought the 1st four (in omnibus)the other day and have read some of the 1st book. It is interesting reading. The main character seems to be a bit of a rebel as well.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #71
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Crich70 has graciously allowed me to add my later thread to his earlier thread, and also keep the same title for my thread.

Thank you!

And additional thanks for his turning me on to some great steampunk novels and stories!

Don
(Moderator)
Old 08-15-2014, 01:31 PM   #72
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Crich70 has graciously allowed me to add my later thread to his earlier thread, and also keep the same title for my thread.

Thank you!

And additional thanks for his turning me on to some great steampunk novels and stories!

Don
(Moderator)
You're quite welcome Dr. Drib. The Steampunk thread certainly does seem to be popular. There are almost 3000 hits on it already.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:50 PM   #73
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
I haven't read The Clockwork Scarab, so I can't compare it to the books that I have read and enjoyed. Based on the description at Amazon, you may find that your reaction to the Magnificent Devices series is much the same.
Back to say I read the first book yesterday and enjoyed it so much, I've already gone on complete the second book today. They're a little addictive, actually. If not for my Miss Marple marathon I'd start book three right away. Thanks for reminding me that I owned them

(And they're nothing like The Clockwork Scarab; they're so much better. The characters are well-drawn, the plot is exciting, and the devices aren't info-dumped but are well-integrated into the narrative. IMO )
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #74
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
Back to say I read the first book yesterday and enjoyed it so much, I've already gone on complete the second book today. They're a little addictive, actually. If not for my Miss Marple marathon I'd start book three right away. Thanks for reminding me that I owned them

(And they're nothing like The Clockwork Scarab; they're so much better. The characters are well-drawn, the plot is exciting, and the devices aren't info-dumped but are well-integrated into the narrative. IMO )
To clarify -- your glowing recommendation is about "Magnificent Devices"?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #75
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
Thank you! to all who have made recommendations and to Dr. Drib for starting the thread.

What a great way to focus in on an interesting genre.

Dean
Now there is an interesting topic to discuss. Is Steampunk a genre on it's own or just a sub-genre of SF? I can see arguments for either point of view.