Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-06-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
StreetScooby
StreetScooby began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Converting Java Look and Feel Design Guidelines from HTML to kindle

I'm trying to convert file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Louis/My%20Documents/Downloads/Java%20Look%20and%20Feel%20Design%20Guidelines.htm for download to my Kindle. The Caliber FAQ instructs one to load the table of contents HTML page in order to convert to a complete Kindle document. It's not working for me. Any suggestions on how I can debug this?
Thanks,
StreetScooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Hi StreetScooby, and welcome to MobileRead.

Would be good if you could provide a bit more info about how, exactly, it's not working for you. At the moment, you're not giving anyone much to work on!

Let us know what you're doing, step by step, and where it's going wrong, and what exactly happens - do you get an error message (in which case the text of that message would be good), does something fail to happen, etc. Then others will be better able to suggest possible solutions.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
What DMSmillie said. But also, if said guidelines are available as a (or on a) publicly available website, giving a link to that might be helpful. The link you posted is a link valid for your local filesystem, which is of no help to any of us with no physical access to your computer
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
discharge
discharge began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have similar problem with converting presented HTML structure (command tree /f on dir named postgres):
D:.
│ index.html

└───html
acronyms.html
admin.html
adminpack.html
anoncvs.html
app-clusterdb.html
app-createdb.html
app-createlang.html
app-createuser.html
xtypes.html

In total 975 files *.html pointed from index.html.

Calibre sees only index.html (dir packed by zip).

Can Calibre convert multi-files HTML pages into other formats at all?
discharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discharge View Post
In total 975 files *.html pointed from index.html.
Calibre sees only index.html (dir packed by zip).
Can Calibre convert multi-files HTML pages into other formats at all?
If the files are linked to directly from index.html (like a table of content, for example), then, if you import the index.html, Calibre will bundle up all linked (local) files and embedded images into the ZIP file it creates. When you convert, you should get an ebook containing the content of all the files.

But again, what DMSmillie said: Post what is actually going wrong, including error messages and examples, if possible.
Advert
Old 03-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
discharge

Oh, my mistake!

I noticed too late that index.html is:
<meta http-equiv="REFRESH" content="0; url=html/index.html">
pointing to other index.html within "html" dir.
I replaced it with:
<a href="html/index.html">Go</a>
within the <body> tag and from 20 minutes Calibre fights with it
Unfortunately it hang on 67% (progress not increases but it seems working cause details are coming).
I'm going to wait a hour.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:44 PM   #7
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Unfortunately it hang on 67% (progress not increases but it seems working cause details are coming).
I'm going to wait a hour.
Just let the process finish. As long as there's no error message, Calibre is still working, and big and/or complex documents can take quite a while to convert. My personal "best" is a 24 hours conversion (a HTML document with about 20.000 files).
Old 03-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
discharge

Ok, it unexpectedly finished :)

Im satisfacted of results. They are not perfect but probably theres possibilities within Calibre settings. Book (mobi) is readable within Kindle Previewer (I have not yet bought any reader because I have to make sure of their ability).
The most important that content displays and hyperlink works!
Old 03-06-2011, 03:00 PM   #9
discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
My personal "best" is a 24 hours conversion (a HTML document with about 20.000 files).
Let me guess - Java JDK or .NET SDK?
Old 03-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #10
Manichean
Wizard

Quote:
Let me guess - Java JDK or .NET SDK?
No, a math reference book. I bought the paper version about 8 years ago, and that included a disk with the book as that collection of HTML files.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #11
discharge

Happy reading
Old 03-07-2011, 06:50 PM   #12
StreetScooby

Thanks for the answers here.
Manichean, I feel like an idiot for posting my local link

Here's the link to the Web page:
http://java.sun.com/products/jlf/ed2/book/index.html

What I did was:
Save page as "Web Page, complete". This generated a html toc file on my disk, that I thought pointed to further html web pages in the directory it created. The directory structure was not as expected.

What I want to do is:
1) Go to a web page like this (e.g., Java Tutorials, there are many actually).
2) Convert the entire related collection of web pages to something I can read on my kindle.

Any idea how I can do this?

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #13
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
You need to use a web crawler/spider to create an offline version of the site. There are lots of tools do this. Scrapbook is a Firefox plugin which can do this as an example.

Once you've got the entire site on your machine, then you can drag the main file to Calibre.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:37 AM   #14
StreetScooby

ldolse,
I've plugged in Scrapbook. Any idea where it puts its output?
Thanks,
Old 03-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #15
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
I've never actually used scrapbook - Let me google that for you:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=scrapbook+output+html

First result has your answer.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote