Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-15-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
The key to Dan Brown’s success

Comment from the UK Times - read the full story here

Quote:
Critics hate him, readers devour him, publishers are in awe of his Midas touch. As the clock ticks down to Dan Brown’s latest opus, we unlock the mystery of how an Elton John wannabe became the defining author of our time
Quote:
On May 7, 2005, the horror author Stephen King gave the commencement address to graduates at the University of Maine, his home state. In it, he half-joked: “If I show up at your house in ten years from now ... and find nothing on your bedroom night table but the newest Dan Brown novel ... I’ll chase you to the end of your driveway,
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
thianliongpatpoh
Zealot
thianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litterthianliongpatpoh doesn't litter

Device: iPad
I've preordered the next ebook. Love the previous two, enjoyed reading them, hate the movies because of elimination of some characters.
I don't understand why critics hate and bash Dan Brown.
thianliongpatpoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I preordered the book also. I also dont know why critics hate him but I enjoy the books and that is what counts for me
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
I never met a critic that I agreed with. The whole premise of critics is arrogant, imagine someone having the gall to tell me what I (should) like.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:12 PM   #5
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I never met a critic that I agreed with. The whole premise of critics is arrogant, imagine someone having the gall to tell me what I (should) like.
Intriguing. Then how do you feel about those wonderfully, and imo aptly named, "blurbs"? (to me suggesting the contents are on par with a flatulent episode)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thianliongpatpoh View Post
I don't understand why critics hate and bash Dan Brown.
It's amusingly explained in places like this one ;-)

Last edited by zerospinboson; 08-15-2009 at 04:14 PM.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:13 PM   #6
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
I could never get through the first three Chapters of Da Vinci. Horrible writing, inane premise. What pissed me off the most though is how so many people seemed to think that his books are factual. After a while trying to explain proving a negative to people, I just gave up.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:21 PM   #7
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
Intriguing. Then how do you feel about those wonderfully, and imo aptly named, "blurbs"? (to me suggesting the contents are on par with a flatulent episode)
Speaking as an "Old F@&!" I feel as though they are just that.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:21 PM   #8
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I think having already read 'The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail' pretty much ruined 'The Da Vinci Code' for me - it was constant deja vu.

I might try one of his others when I'm in the mood.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:23 PM   #9
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
As a corollary, I hate when people tell me what I should like.

I couldn't get past page one of Da Vinci Code. It's all telling, no showing, and the prose was just awful IMO. I completely agree with the link provided above.

But tastes do vary, and plenty disagree with me, so more power to Dan Brown.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
critics

It strikes me that many of the critics are probably the ones that picked out the high school english class books, which were totally hated by me and if I did not read other books before that it would have entirely turned me off to reading.

I think of Dan Brown as being alot like Clive Cussler, sure his books are outrageous and the situations in them are HIGHLY unlikely, yet are enjoyable escapism.

Do books have to have a deep literatary meaning? Sure some have one, but most don't.

I would say that Dan Brown writes well for his intended audience who like the way he explains things and even enjoy the fact that his writing style is more accessable than some of those "classic" books.

As for editing, has anyone read The Life of Pi? I thought that the author needed to go back to school and learn how to make a chapter, and that his editor needed to actually do his job. But my understanding is that this book was highly praised? Each person has their own idea of what is a good book.

Just look at movies, there are many serious movies that have deep intellectual value, but the market is flooded with simple, and yes often stupid, comedies because that is what people enjoy.

If only I could write as badly as Dan Brown I too could be a millionare!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:27 PM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I read the DaVinci Code the week it came out (worked in a bookstore, and they wanted employees to read it since they thought it would be a big hit). I enjoyed it, so I read his other stuff. Angels and Demons was cool, but then I read one of the other two, and realized I had just read three books that were exactly the same. Now, I perfectly OK with people enjoying a "fun" book, but he really is a poor writer, when you get down to it. I got so involved in the plot of DaVinci I didn't notice, but afterwards looking back I realized how poorly written it was.

Remind you, I read fun fluffy romance novels, so it's not a case of me being picky about literature. I hate that people elevate him to some amazing author when he isn't (and also believe what he writes in the books). I won't be reading his next book.

Also, I hear his French is atrocious.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #12
kikar
Zealot
kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many eReaders, One annoyed wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I think having already read 'The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail' pretty much ruined 'The Da Vinci Code' for me - it was constant deja vu.

I might try one of his others when I'm in the mood.
That is what ruined it for me as well. I heard so much about 'The Da Vinci Code' that I went out and bought it. Once I started reading it though it felt to me as if Dan Brown had a copy of 'The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail' beside him as he was writing. So I went back to read his first book 'Digital Fortress' and it was different writing and hard to get through.
And while I do not really like his work my wife does so I will be buying his new book when it comes out.
kikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:02 PM   #13
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I really hope poor MoeJoe stays out of this thread, for fear of him having a stroke!
As previously noted, I've enjoyed everything of Dan Brown's that I've read, with the exception of Deception Point. I'm looking forward to the new release.

That being said: I am not about to even try to convince anyone that Dan Brown is the greatest writer the world has ever seen. He isn't. And even if he WAS - as my signature implies - we all have different tastes, everyone is never going to like the same thing, and wouldn't the world be pretty darn boring if we did?
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:06 PM   #14
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
The more Dan Brown's books, demeanor, and credibility are questioned the more they sell. Having not read his books, yet, did he give any credit or mention to Henry Lincoln?
Gunner...
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:11 PM   #15
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
There's a place for everything... one doesn't always want to read serious literature. I think Dan Brown's books are the book equivalent of a reality TV show but I had fun reading The Da Vinci Code even if I was very curious as to why it was as popular as it was.

I wouldn't bother reading the rest... if I'm going to do a 'fun read' I still think there's more than enough better than that out there: Pratchett, Palahuik, Stephen King, Clive Barker... etc.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote