Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #16
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalReader View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't a color nook a back lit tablet with limited tablet capabilities. If so, it does not satisfy my desire for an e-ink reader.
Sure, but that's not the point - (it's also the reason I was looking to update my old PRS-600). As far as I know, the e-ink models will read anything the color ones can read.

The big feature that Sony has over Nook is being able to group your books into Collections either through the host software or through Calibre. AFAIK, no one else has this capability.

Last edited by mwheinz; 10-01-2013 at 07:13 AM.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:20 AM   #17
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
I went from the original Nook to the T-1, and while Calibre capability is a close second, the ease of borrowing library books is number one for me. I buy a lot of books, but I can't afford to buy everything I want to read. The difference in price of a Sony is, for me, offset by the fact that I can supplement my personal library with public library books, even when I'm away from home. While that may not matter to everyone, I think Sony made a big mistake in not highlighting that as a marketing tool.

Plumadona
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #18
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
The black T3 is already backorder only at Sony.ca. Perhaps they are having problems with not enough stock manufactured to sell in the US.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #19
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheinz View Post
Doesn't look good for that idea - I actually went to the sony webstore today, where they have the T2 "on sale" for $99 - but if you click on the freaking link, it says the T2 is no longer available!

What the heck, Sony?

Wow. I was just about to say that the black T2 was still available on Sony.com because after hearing that the T3 wouldn't be released in the US, I decided to check on the T2 so I would have a backup to my T1 for the easy library borrowing capability I like and use so much. The T2 in red and white were no longer available, but the black one was. That was fine with me because I preferred the black anyway. I placed my order for the black T2 just 90 minutes ago and got confirmation it should ship tomorrow.

I was just about to post that the black was still available and thought I better double-check so I wouldn't be lying to you all. Sure enough, it's now no longer available either.

I guess I lucked out and got one of the very last ones in stock.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #20
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
The black T3 is already backorder only at Sony.ca. Perhaps they are having problems with not enough stock manufactured to sell in the US.

Helen
The white T2 is still available at Sony.ca for $99.99 as well as the red or white T3 being in stock for $129.99.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #21
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
The white T2 is still available at Sony.ca for $99.99 as well as the red or white T3 being in stock for $129.99.
The white and black T2s are still available in the US. The OOS popup specifically names the PRST2RC as the OOS item. Click on the white box under the picture and you can add the PRST2WC to the cart.

[IMG][/IMG]

The black T2 (PRST2HBC Harry Potter version) is also available.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #22
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one

That's strange, because now it's showing the white is still available, but the red and black are not, no matter what I click on.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #23
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
That's strange, because now it's showing the white is still available, but the red and black are not, no matter what I click on.
The furshlugginer black one shows "in stock" until you get the the final step before purchase before I get the "Reader PRST2HBC is currently not available. Please remove it from the cart before proceeding." I tried purchasing it again before removing the first reader and it now shows "Quantity 2" unavailable readers ready to purchase. Odd that it doesn't automatically remove unavailable products from the cart. Well, at least white T2s are available in the US...for the moment.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #24
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
If you really want a T3 and live in the USA, buy one from the following website:

http://www.shopereaders.com/Sony-PRS...ony-prs-t3.htm

I don't see the point, however, if you already have a T2.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #25
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
The furshlugginer black one shows "in stock" until you get the the final step before purchase before I get the "Reader PRST2HBC is currently not available. Please remove it from the cart before proceeding." I tried purchasing it again before removing the first reader and it now shows "Quantity 2" unavailable readers ready to purchase. Odd that it doesn't automatically remove unavailable products from the cart. Well, at least white T2s are available in the US...for the moment.
Strange. Now it's showing that the black is in stock again and the estimated ship date is 10/02/2013. I wonder what's going on.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #26
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
If you really want a T3 and live in the USA, buy one from the following website:

http://www.shopereaders.com/Sony-PRS...ony-prs-t3.htm

I don't see the point, however, if you already have a T2.

In one place in their ad copy, they refer to the T3 as the T2 (near the read pricing area).

Here's that quote:

Order the Sony PRS-T2 Today and get 100 free eBooks and a free screen protector!
Our Price: $179.99

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #27
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
As for a new reader, compared to the PRS950, I am unimpressed with today's smaller plastic readers. What I and many others seek is a large screen reader able to display PDFs. Maybe the 13.3 screen will arrive.
i also own and love the 950. and i'm also hoping that the 13.3" reader will end up in my hands. we should have more news on this reader by the end of the year.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:15 PM   #28
SoCalReader
Enthusiast
SoCalReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950SC, Sony PRS-T2, (former) Amazon Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwheinz View Post
The big feature that Sony has over Nook is being able to group your books into Collections either through the host software or through Calibre. AFAIK, no one else has this capability.
I did not know that. Thanks for the info. Sorry to misunderstand your argument.
SoCalReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #29
SoCalReader
Enthusiast
SoCalReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950SC, Sony PRS-T2, (former) Amazon Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
i also own and love the 950. and i'm also hoping that the 13.3" reader will end up in my hands. we should have more news on this reader by the end of the year.
But you also own a slew of other readers I have considered, particularly the Aura HD. I will giving readers to family members as birthday presents, should I strongly consider the Aura HD, given that I probably will be unable to secure T3 or even a T2?
SoCalReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #30
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
But you also own a slew of other readers I have considered, particularly the Aura HD. I will giving readers to family members as birthday presents, should I strongly consider the Aura HD, given that I probably will be unable to secure T3 or even a T2?
If you're looking at a reader for ePubs, the Aura HD is a very nice reader. The screen is sharp. The minimum level for the backlight is very dim, which is good for bedtime reading (and it turns off if you don't want the backlight). Sideloading works well, and calibre offers very good support for Kobo readers. PDF support is functional, but it is a huge step backwards from the Sony readers (at least the T1). Kobo also has an obnoxious tendency to change the user interface through firmware updates. A number of users complain about bugs in the firmware, but I've found most of them trivial (e.g. odditities in rendering that a lot of people simply wouldn't notice unless it's pointed out to them) or difficult to reproduce.

Tags
sony prs-t2, sony prs-t3