Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Carrier Questions

Let's get real. What's the REAL cost of cellular service for an iPad?

Sure, I could look at the various plans offered by at&t, Sprint, and verizon; but it's always been my experience with communications companies that what they advertise and the amount you write on the monthly check frequently have little in common. So with that in mind, I'd like to hear your answers to three questions:
• Who do you use for you cellular provider?
• How much do you pay per month?
• How do like the service?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Depends on the country where you live, but I'd like to point out it's not strictly necessary to have the 4G/3G version of the iPad to be able to use it online while on the go. If you also have an iPhone, activating it as a mobile WiFi hotspot is a matter of pushing a button, and you can then go online on the iPad using your phone's, not your iPad's cellular service. This has worked reliably for me.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #3
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
In Australia I use Telstra. I use my iPhone as a hotspot and connect the ipad with Bluetooth.
The plan I have is $79 per month for 24 months includes the iPhone. Includes $500 calls at 35c flag fall and 90c minute. Unlimited SMS and 1.5 gig data. For $100 you get unlimited calls as well.
There are much cheaper rates here but I think you get what you pay for.
I haven't had a hic-up yet so I would give them 4 1/2 out of 5. I get a call from them every now and then and they go through all the services I have and work out if I'm on the right plan for what we use.

Last edited by wannabee; 01-10-2013 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Answer if I like it.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I have a Verizon plan. Unlimited minutes and messages (I think... I don't use messages...), 6gb of data shared across three 4g devices (iphone, ipad, ipad mini). I get some workplace discount (18% on my monthly bill, I think).
I pay $145 per month.
Not sure how. I add all the charges I should be paying and it should be less. But there are hidden fees, taxes, etc.
It's not cheap. But 4g is fast, coverage is good, 6gb of data is good for a boring bastard like me that watches very little video. Plus I have wifi at work and home... so I actually usually hit 2-3 gb per month.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
I have a Verizon plan. Unlimited minutes and messages (I think... I don't use messages...), 6gb of data shared across three 4g devices (iphone, ipad, ipad mini). I get some workplace discount (18% on my monthly bill, I think).
I pay $145 per month.
Not sure how. I add all the charges I should be paying and it should be less. But there are hidden fees, taxes, etc.

It's not cheap. But 4g is fast, coverage is good, 6gb of data is good for a boring bastard like me that watches very little video. Plus I have wifi at work and home... so I actually usually hit 2-3 gb per month.
Now that's what I'm talking about, although that doesn't sound too far removed from what they advertise. According to this page, Verizon's "Share Everything Unlimited Minutes & Messaging - 6GB Data" plan is $120.00.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:30 PM   #6
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Now that's what I'm talking about, although that doesn't sound too far removed from what they advertise. According to this page, Verizon's "Share Everything Unlimited Minutes & Messaging - 6GB Data" plan is $120.00.
Yes - but you forget I get 18% off.
So I was expecting $100 or so.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Yes - but you forget I get 18% off.
So I was expecting $100 or so.
New math.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
vxf
Guru

Quote:
New math.
You mean Verizon's math?
In that case, I agree...

Or you mean my expectation?
It's probably a bit below $100, but not far...
Ok, fine, i'll stop being lazy. It's $98.40
Old 01-13-2013, 02:15 AM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Of course I meant Verizon's math, but it's really the math of all communications companies. There are always hidden fees, it seems.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Let's get real. What's the REAL cost of cellular service for an iPad?

Sure, I could look at the various plans offered by at&t, Sprint, and verizon; but it's always been my experience with communications companies that what they advertise and the amount you write on the monthly check frequently have little in common. So with that in mind, I'd like to hear your answers to three questions:
• Who do you use for you cellular provider?
• How much do you pay per month?
• How do like the service?
-Verizon
-20 bucks
-Good

I used it at work, to check personal stuff like bank accounts. I also download books from Amazon

I use average, 40 MB per day. Weekends I barely use the 4G signal as I'm at home or close to wifi.

At the beginning, I had a 2GB plan, reduced it in Jan to 1GB and it's prepaid, no contracts.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #11
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Those Verizon prepaid plans look to be about the best ones I've seen. I'm currently using a $20 prepaid Virgin hotspot with my original flavor iPad, but it's only 3G and limited to 500 MB/month.

When I take the plunge to the next gen iPad, that's the route I'll probably go.

Thanks, jocampo!
Old 01-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Of course I meant Verizon's math, but it's really the math of all communications companies. There are always hidden fees, it seems.
In the US it is customary to exclude taxes on all product pricing, except Gasoline.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #13
Wickedkitten
Wickedkitten began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
With 3 in the UK, tethering to an android mobile

£15 for unlimited data, 300 minutes, and 5000 texts

Great
Wickedkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:00 AM   #14
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
In the US it is customary to exclude taxes on all product pricing, except Gasoline.

Dale
Yes, funny that.
But gas is also the only product that lists its price down to the tenth of a cent, so they can display the 9 tenths in small print, making the gas look a penny cheaper per gallon than it really is.
It seems like marketeers won't keep their jobs unless they find a way to hide true cost in SOME way.

Communication companies have the added out being able to shift the blame to various government-imposed fees aside from normal taxes.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedkitten View Post
With 3 in the UK, tethering to an android mobile

£15 for unlimited data, 300 minutes, and 5000 texts

Great
Wish we had that deal here. That's not bad. Not bad at all.