Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-10-2015, 09:31 PM   #1
allowingtoo
Bibliophile
allowingtoo began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon
Sigh Sigil 8.6 no longer working Crashes

I have NO idea what I did. I was using it and it worked fine. I must have cleaned something out with CCleaner in the registry and messed something up is all I can think of.

I used Revo and removed everything and started over and downloaded Sigil 8.6 64 for Windows 7 and let it install to the default folder as usual. It would not install the Microsoft Visual C++ since that was already installed of course.

When I click directly on the Sigil Icon and try to launch it I get the MSVCR120.dll error. If I try to open an epub I get various dll errors. They change from time to time.

I went back and looked in my computer and I had several instances of Microsoft Visual C++ installed so I used Control Panel and Revo and removed them all and started over again with Sigil AGAIN and let it install C++ on it's own, which it did. I did start and restart the computer in between just to make sure.

Here is the whole crash just from trying to start Sigil:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Sigil.exe
Application Version: 0.8.7.0
Application Timestamp: 557e2f8e
Fault Module Name: MSVCR120.dll
Fault Module Version: 12.0.21005.1
Fault Module Timestamp: 524f83ff
Exception Code: c00000fd
Exception Offset: 00000000000251c7
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: c525
Additional Information 2: c525eafd5e89f9be2a46aac90c361fb5
Additional Information 3: 41dc
Additional Information 4: 41dc8bf40d24a3ff0852b450a8de960c

Am I going to have to format my computer just to install Sigil? I can't even remember the last time I used it so I don't have a point in time where I think I could roll my computer back to.
allowingtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:09 AM   #2
rubeus
Banned
rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Try to delete the Sigil settings in the Appdata Folder. Sigil settings are not deleted when re/de-installing. The Folder is in your Windowsprofil und hidden by default.
rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2015, 01:13 AM   #3
allowingtoo
Bibliophile
allowingtoo began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon
YAY I managed to fix it. I downloaded a DLL repair thing and ran it after System File Checker ran and it didn't fix it. There were a bunch of DLL's that needed to be repaired. So I am up and running Sigil again.

Every time I had a Crash it was directly related to a DLL. So I figured that was my clue. I can't imagine how CCleaner removed them and I didn't notice it. I usually pay more attention than that. Finding a DLL repair tool was harder than anything but they are out there if you just keep searching.

Last edited by allowingtoo; 07-11-2015 at 01:18 AM.
allowingtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:46 AM   #4
rubeus
Banned
rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post
I can't imagine how CCleaner removed them
Same Snakeoil like Tuneup.
rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 06:02 AM   #5
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I used CCleaner to get rid of a nasty a few years ago. Nothing else worked. Saved me a visit from the local Computer Guy.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert