Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-10-2013, 03:21 AM   #106
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's my point: we don't know, and hence this thread title - a definitive statement that Sony are about to announce a new reader - is misleading.
I read elsewhere (I don't remember where) that Sony is selling off T2 stock, which is a sure sign that a new e-reader is upcoming early. However, on looking at the Sony site, I see no evidence of that. Can anyone else confirm what may be an unfounded rumour?
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:38 AM   #107
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Confirmation by Sony or not, rumor or not, Sony selling off T2s or not... every year this speculation happens and every year since 2006 Sony comes out with a new reader sometime between August-October.

So while Sony hasn't made a definite statement yet, by now after 7 years of the same pattern, does anyone really need an official Sony announcement to know they'll release a new reader for 2013?

The only question for me is will it have a front light or not. And like Rizla, I'm not taking the French interview as gospel, I'll wait to see what they come out with for 2013.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2013, 04:51 AM   #108
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Either she's lying, ill-informed or Sony e-reader strategy is idiotic.
Two out of three ain't bad
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:12 AM   #109
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Ever since this thread started, every time it pops up on the forum's front page I read Sorry to anounce new reader. Have to admit I like that in some weird way.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #110
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Two out of three ain't bad
Come now; don't sell Sony short.
They are perfectly capable of meeting all three requirements.

(I hope not, but it wouldn't be the first time somebody there pulls the trifecta. Hint: Kutaragi!)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #111
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Frontlighting gives you more even light coverage without any loss of battery life or added weight. At a minimal added cost. Plus the KPW screen really is white.
It may not be for everybody but it is a genuine improvement over the T1.
and John f.

Guys, ok, it will be eventually more white the screen and one can manage with a different packaging, more light.
both of you convinced me.

let's see what happen, I am ready to switch to a color Eink supplier that furnish a rootable device to use android, it is definetely useful to have a bad tablet that last for days and do not give struugle to the eyes of a bookwormer like me
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #112
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
This story about Sony supposedly having market research showing that consumers are not interested in built-in light is old news. Steve Haber (president of Sony DRBD) was making this statement a couple of years ago, and it must be a "talking point" for now. I doubt Sony would be investing in its own front-lighting tech, as PRS-700 was a disaster, but if such technology is offered by E Ink, Sony might buy it.

Otherwise, I am not sure where the dedicated ebook reader development is taking us. Neither B&N nor Amazon is coming up with a flood of semi-annual or quarterly upgrades. Could it be that eInk technology has hit a dead end? I don't think there is any Android-based reader with an eInk-HD screen. Perhaps those are not supported by Android distributions and drivers offered by FreeScale, and neither Sony nor B&N has the know-how to make its own?

For Sony front-light seems like a logical step forward. A generation upgrade that's big enough to justify some new purchasing from existing fans. I wouldn't be expecting any FCC action until July, and official announcement until end of August.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #113
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Tolino shine runs android with xga frontlit eink and desperately needs better software.
There is some interest at xda:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2218458
Old 04-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #114
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The Tolino shine runs android with xga frontlit eink and desperately needs better software.
You're right, it is an eInk HD running Android. Interesting. Perhaps Sony PRS-T3 will have that too.

The guy on XDA is complaining about Shine not having a landscape mode. Well, Sony Readers no longer have it either. And when they did (before Android), it never worked very well anyway. My info may be a bit obsolete, but I don't think any of the mainstream readers has landscape mode.

I've been a Sony Reader fan since the very beginning (since I bought a PRS-500 to supplement my old REB-1100), and I've had every model of it. But since they have now started actively shutting down the root/hacking capabilities (including removing ADB from Android), I am about to give up.

I am not sure if B&N is ever going to release another generation of eInk-based front-lit nooks, but if they do, I may be switching.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #115
thk84
thk84 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm also waiting for PRS-T3!
thk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #116
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
My info may be a bit obsolete, but I don't think any of the mainstream readers has landscape mode.
It took them about six months to add it, but the Kindle Touch got landscape mode last summer. The KPW inherited the feature. (There was a big fuss because the older models launched with 4-way rotation.)
The Kobo glo only does it on pdf.
The Nook doesn't.
The stock Sony T1 does so I assume the T2 does it, too. (Though some might debate how mainstream Sony is, these days. )

A new Nook Glo with XGA screen is very likely. In the fall, if they've learned their lesson.
It'll be interesting to see how hackable it ships.

Given that my android reader of choice is Coolreader, I'm keeping an eye on this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=147

Coolreader on a KPW would be a nice consolation prize if neither Sony nor Nook steps up.

Last edited by fjtorres; 04-10-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:25 AM   #117
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But since they have now started actively shutting down the root/hacking capabilities (including removing ADB from Android), I am about to give up.
Really? Is the T2 less rootable than the T1? Is it a deliberate policy on Sony's part to restrict rooting? This is important news to me if it is the case.

I was going to sell my T1 to fund a T3. Maybe I should keep it after all.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:29 AM   #118
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
I am not sure if B&N is ever going to release another generation of eInk-based front-lit nooks, but if they do, I may be switching.
Yes, I've been thinking this way for awhile. My main doubt is that the Nook lighted screen seems to be fragile. If they fix that, it may be my next reader, if I can get one outside the USA. I might have to take a trip lol.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:30 AM   #119
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Really? Is the T2 less rootable than the T1? Is it a deliberate policy on Sony's part to restrict rooting? This is important news to me if it is the case.
As a matter of interest, what does "rooting" allow you to do on your T1 that the stock device can't do?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:48 AM   #120
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
As a matter of interest, what does "rooting" allow you to do on your T1 that the stock device can't do?
You are then on a vanilla android system, so you can install apps, for instance I had the kindle app on my t1, which allowed me to access my kindle account and read my mobis on it. At that time I had epub and mobis, so that made sense to me. You can also install fbreader and coolreader, or a mail app (I had k9 for instance running very smoothly). It does not replace a tablet of course, but the readability in the sun can be useful.

Forgot to say : the sony firmware is still on the device, so you can access the sony interface anytime without rebooting, it is implemented as a button, but also have the vanilla android interface.

Last edited by aceflor; 04-11-2013 at 03:50 AM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote