Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
Nate0072
Enthusiast
Nate0072 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Nate0072 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Nate0072 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader 505 (Silver)
Post What book have you tried to read many times but could not finish?

Just a question.

Over my reading life there have been a few books that I've started but have never finished. Tried reading again, and again never finished. Either because I couldn't get into them or just lost interest.

Here are three of them:

- We were soldiers once
- The Stand
- The Art of War

What about you?

Last edited by Nate0072; 02-27-2009 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Wrong tense used in sentence
Nate0072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I can only remember one book I tried and never read, and that was Gone with the Wind.

I tried Shogun several times before I finally finished it, and now I would finish it in one sitting if I could...

Oh wait, I never finished Gai Jin, so I bought it with my last credit on audible. And I'll read it once I've finished the audiobook, I think...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
'Titus Groan' by Mervyn Peake - the first of the Gormenghast trilogy.

I doubt I still have the stamina to make another assault on it - might just climb the Matterhorn instead.

The BBC & WGBH did make a good TV series of it though.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I think I've now finished just about every book I've started - if I haven't, I don't remember what they are!

However, not all that long ago Lord of The Rings was on that list - finally forced myself to finish it about 5 years ago.

Edited to add:
I once heard a book critic say as if it was fact that people who claimed to enjoy Thomas Pynchon's books had never actually finished reading one. I can safely say that is not true.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Gosh, there's been so many! Just in the past year since I first got my EBW1150 and now on my Sony 505, the number of discards has risen dramatically. I'd estimate 25% have been deleted. I no longer feel like a weasel if I don't like a book that I've started reading.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I couldn't even finish the first part of Lord of the Rings.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:41 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Any book that I've decided to out down because I did not like it, I've never gone back and finished it. Also, I don't go back and try to read it. I just have too many I do want to read.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-27-2009 at 02:50 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Tristram Shandy by Sterne. I've given up.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:50 PM   #9
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I couldn't even finish the first part of Lord of the Rings.
The only way I made it through the first time was to read the third book first, then went back to the second book, and then finally the first book.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:08 PM   #10
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Don Quixote was a major stumbling block for me over the years. I tried, and failed to read the book on at least ten occassions until one summer when I found myself in Germany with only that book in my possession. I read it cover to cover and now every summer I break that novel out along with Ray Bradbury's Dandelion Wine and re-read them. This year (fingers crossed) I'll be reading Quixtoe for the first time in a digital format.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:09 PM   #11
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
The Island of the Day Before, which is strange since I read and enjoyed three other Umberto Eco books...
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #12
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
Wicked by Gregory Maguire. I've gotten about 1/3rd of the way through it, then gave up because I couldn't keep track of the characters. I know it's supposed to be good, though, so I'm going to keep trying!
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:35 PM   #13
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I can honestly say that I've finished every book I've started, even if I hated it in the end.

Usually though, after I suffer through the first 100 pages, I catch the rhythm/cadence and vocabulary the author (i.e. Thomas Ruggles Pynchon, Jr.) is using and start to enjoy what I'm reading, but not always. I'll suffer through it because I'm frugal or stubborn.

I can also honestly say that I would not read any books that I had no interest in, or appeared beyond my scope of understanding in the first place.

WDE.

** Correction **

There was one book that I didn't finish. My sister visited me about 10 or more years ago and had a Rocket eBook reader. She let me use it for a few days and I got half way through a book before she left. Can't even remember what book it was. I liked it, but probably was too cheap to go out and buy a book that I had already read half of.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 02-28-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #14
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Tristram Shandy by Sterne. I've given up.

Jim
Funnily enough, Tristram Shandy (along with Ulysses of course) has also defeated me twice, so I'm not going to bother trying it again.
I couldn't pin down what it was either that made it so boring as it's supposed to be very witty.

And I wonder, has any of the francophones here finished Proust :-)
I did it as a special subject in my degree but never actually read it all. :-(
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #15
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
The Stand by Stephen King. I got 400 pages into it, and I just couldn't go on. Also, the last couple of books from The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan were non-finishers for me. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I've also had a hell of a time getting through any of Dan Brown's books...
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote