Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #91
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Try putting in a clean 32 GB SD card in an Android phone/tab and see how much you have left.
Should be reported as roughly 29GB (using 1024 prefixes). Unless Android copies a bunch of crud onto the SD card.

But an SD card doesn't need to contain an OS while built-in flash does.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #92
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
ZDnet has an answer to the Surface vs iOS/Android question:
http://www.zdnet.com/surface-is-it-m...20/?s_cid=e539

Quote:
What I think is apparent now is that everyone expected Microsoft to build a competitor to the iPad, then we saw a lot of fervent activity, and throughout we assumed that building an iPad was exactly what they were doing. Now that I hold the Surface in my hands, I'm not sure that's what they were doing at all.

There's now an additional duality highlighted with Surface. We can now see decisions that the market forced Microsoft to make with its incessant demands to keep throwing cash at Apple in exchange for iPads. Just looking at how Surface operates, everything that we see in the reimagined Windows -- the UX, the Start menu, Windows Store apps, the Metro design aesthetic, all of this is secondary to the primary goal of getting Office to run on an ARM-based tablet. It's "Office" first, "compete with iPad" second.

The Office side of this is perfect. Everything else that will make Windows RT and Surface attractive in the consumer and business markets is playing catch-up. You should only invest in Surface is your an ardent early adopter and are aware that the experience of using this thing is, as I mentioned, like using an 18-month old Android tablet.

For me, the Surface is a "Wordbook", a new device form-factor for running Word in ultra-portable, cloud-connected mode that also happens to be one degree away from a market ready post-PC tablet
Translation: Surface (and other RT Tablets) are about keeping iPad out of the corporate market not about going after the consumer media pad market. (Not yet.)

It's a productivity tablet. Not a bad place to start.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 09:18 AM   #93
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Type cover vs touch cover

After 2 days of comparison:
Most of the times, I'll stick to the touch cover.

Very often, I'm using the Surface RT as a "normal" tablet.
Then I fold the covers back.
Both covers work flawlessly.
If you lay the tablet flat on a table and the cover is in front, typing works fine.
If you fold the cover back, more than 180° angle, the keys are blocked.
Meaning: When folded back, you can't by accident hit any keys.
Absolutely fine, just as intended.
BUT: I find it a bit awkward, having the tips of my fingers rest on the keys. You still can press them and it just feels a bit "strange".
On the touch keyboard, this doesn't matter, as you don't actually press the keys but kind of "hover" over them.

So: When traveling and/or only doing "light typing", I'll stick to the touch cover.
But I'll take the type cover with me all the time, in the very same sleeve.
When switching to "heavy typing", I can exchange the covers then.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #94
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
I frequent a website called "Make use of" and on their site they have free cheat sheets you can print out on various topics. One such cheat sheet is a Windows 8 "Touch and Mouse Gestures."
Worth looking into so you can get the most out of the UI.
Ralph

www.makeuseof.com

Last edited by Red Alert; 11-10-2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: added url
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #95
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Alert View Post
I frequent a website called "Make use of" and on their site they have free cheat sheets you can print out on various topics. One such cheat sheet is a Windows 8 "Touch and Mouse Gestures."
Worth looking into so you can get the most out of the UI.
Ralph

www.makeuseof.com
They also have a very informative article about getting Windows 8 features in Windows 7.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/get-gre...grade-opinion/
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2012, 09:42 PM   #96
Edward M. Grant
Zealot
Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
Keep in mind that 5GB is just a restore partition so that you can restore to clean without a USB drive.
I can do that on my Transformer, and it doesn't need 5GB.

It claims to have 27.15GB free out of 32GB on the device. I've no idea whether it's talking binary gigabytes or decimal, or a mix of the two.
Edward M. Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #97
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I looked at an Ultrabook with W8, but I don't like the SSD. Only 128standard and so expensive to go to 256 which is still a small drive these days.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #98
Edward M. Grant
Zealot
Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Only 128standard and so expensive to go to 256 which is still a small drive these days.
Depends on what you're doing with it. If you buy it for web browsing, email and word processing, 128GB should be plenty. If you want to install a few modern games at 20GB apiece, or put your entire movie and music collection on the disk, you'll run out fast.
Edward M. Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #99
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Played with a Surface for about 10 minutes this weekend. The lack of apps was the most glaring deficit, but I also found the thin keyboard with no key travel was unwieldy to type on. I didn't get a chance to use the thicker cover. Hardware seemed fairly nice otherwise. However, the dual metro/desktop OS is completely incomprehensible to me. You haven't lived until you've experienced the special hell of trying to use Excel with a touchscreen.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:51 PM   #100
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Played with a Surface for about 10 minutes this weekend. The lack of apps was the most glaring deficit, but I also found the thin keyboard with no key travel was unwieldy to type on. I didn't get a chance to use the thicker cover. Hardware seemed fairly nice otherwise. However, the dual metro/desktop OS is completely incomprehensible to me. You haven't lived until you've experienced the special hell of trying to use Excel with a touchscreen.
Wow, Mr Apple made it through 10 minutes on a non-iDevice. The Surface must be really special, now I know I will have to get one!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #101
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
I'm curious how a ten minute play can provide anybody with the conclusion that the "lack of apps was the most glaring deficit"?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #102
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
You haven't lived until you've experienced the special hell of trying to use Excel with a touchscreen.
what were the issues you faced?
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #103
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I'm curious how a ten minute play can provide anybody with the conclusion that the "lack of apps was the most glaring deficit"?
Unfortunately, 10 minutes is more than plenty to gather the lack of apps.
There are ca. 10 categories.
In each category you find ca. 100 to 400 apps.
You easily can scroll through those 100 to 400 apps in a minute or so.
The tiles are very informative and neatly arranged. But the downside to this is, you can scroll through the apps that fast...
Old 11-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #104
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
On one hand I agree: The experience is somewhat inconsistent. On one side, you have the tiles. Great design and quite an innovation. On the other side, the office suite falls back to the desktop. Still better than what I've seen on iOS or on Android.
But: There's a version of OneNote within the office suite. And there's another, Windows 8 specific, version of OneNote. I very much prefer the Windows 8 style. And it perfectly shows, what can be done...
Old 11-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #105
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Unfortunately, 10 minutes is more than plenty to gather the lack of apps.
There are ca. 10 categories.
In each category you find ca. 100 to 400 apps.
You easily can scroll through those 100 to 400 apps in a minute or so.
The tiles are very informative and neatly arranged. But the downside to this is, you can scroll through the apps that fast...
How many apps do you need?
Lets pass on the games. I don't do games except on rare occasion, I might look at something someone is pressing into my hand.

Lets look at one thing. WiFi apps. I have looked at most of the Android Apps for WiFi and tried to use them. I even tried to take a short cut and look at the paid ones trying to find one really good one that would just hook me up with the public WiFi spots without me asking for a password or something.

I did like the 2 or 3 that showed me where public wifi spots were relative to my position but the old android settings app did just as well except for that characteristic. My GPS units will give me better locations of restaurants etc, that I can be fairly certain will have a wifi spot.

My point is that 100 good apps OR FEWER should suffice except for the games.
The other 100 thousand or more is just redundant!
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote