Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #181
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
He fixed the unit at the price of a lot of discord but he leaves behind a unit that is working smoothly which makes it a great time to get out while the getting is good.
After today reading this description of what smooth working in a Microsoft development unit really means, I wondered if it had been a mistake for me to say something nice about Win8:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57...-mr-windows-8/

Discussed in my link above, and consistent with it, is this Manu Cornet* (http://www.bonkersworld.net/organizational-charts/) cartoon:

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 11-14-2012 at 08:24 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #182
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
After today reading this description of what smooth working in a Microsoft development unit really means, I wondered if it had been a mistake for me to say something nice about Win8:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57...-mr-windows-8/
The issue isn't Win8 but Winofsky's inability to play nice with the other kids.
Kids that bring in a *lot* of money, too.
Ballmer wants the different units to integrate better and generate better synergy and, above all, more cash.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2012, 06:50 AM   #183
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The issue isn't Win8 but Winofsky's inability to play nice with the other kids.
Kids that bring in a *lot* of money, too.
Ballmer wants the different units to integrate better and generate better synergy and, above all, more cash.
Yes exactly. It's a one-man problem. I've seen it in many companies I've worked for as well as some I've only heard about....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #184
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Just saw this article about Win8 Pro:

http://www.informationweek.com/hardw...disa/240142137
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #185
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Just saw this article about Win8 Pro:

http://www.informationweek.com/hardw...disa/240142137
Completely worthless article. Microsoft said at the original Surface event the Pro would be available about 90 days after the RT, putting it around January. I'm not seeing any disarray, other than the author himself. Of course Microsoft is going to try to sell what they have available. But the demonstrations they are pitching to enterprises right now this guy is so worked up about are mainly about Windows 8 as a whole, not the Surface.

Last edited by pl001; 11-15-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: addition
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #186
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
Completely worthless article. Microsoft said at the original Surface event the Pro would be available about 90 days after the RT, putting it around January. I'm not seeing any disarray, other than the author himself. Of course Microsoft is going to try to sell what they have available. But the demonstrations they are pitching to enterprises right now this guy is so worked up about are mainly about Windows 8 as a whole, not the Surface.
I wouldn't call Mr. McDougall a blithering idiot, only misinformed! For instance Samsung has been shipping a Clover Trail based Ative Smart PC tablet for nearly a week now, when he said the chip is not ready. He also seems to be a bit confused about the various versions of Windows 8 (x86).

Happily, unlike Win7, if you don’t have an Active Directory network, the basic version should work just fine.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #187
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl001 View Post
Microsoft said at the original Surface event the Pro would be available about 90 days after the RT, putting it around January. I'm not seeing any disarray, other than the author himself. Of course Microsoft is going to try to sell what they have available. But the demonstrations they are pitching to enterprises right now this guy is so worked up about are mainly about Windows 8 as a whole, not the Surface.
Keep in mind that this is what journalists do for a living and they don't see it as deceitful any more than a fiction writer views a story's complication as immoral: They spin conflict, tension and intrigue out of the dynamics of public events wherever possible. Tension and anxiety make readers keep reading.

That said, I think your diagnosis is not only correct but obviously so for anyone who watched the entire MS presentation.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #188
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
This is unfortunate. Although Twitter has no official Win8 client, they are refusing to allow Tweetro to distribute more than 100,000 user tokens.

App.net looks more tempting all the time.

Story here: http://www.windowsobserver.com/2012/...-token-limits/
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #189
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From NBCNews.com:
http://www.nbcnews.com/business/team...ture-1C7121763

Quote:
Microsoft -- which Ballmer rechristened as a "devices and services company" last month -- has all the parts, analysts say, but has failed to put them together. Now Ballmer looks set to reshape the company to try to make that a reality.

"I certainly expect the org chart to look a lot different six months from now," said Brad Silverberg, who ran the Windows unit during its massive growth spurt in the 1990s. "There will be attrition from Steven's (Sinofsky's) people and Steve Ballmer will have a chance to create a more harmonious organization."

Ballmer replaced Sinofsky with two executives with a reputation for cooperation. The move marks the third time in the last few years that Ballmer has replaced a single unit head with two leaders sharing responsibilities.

More fundamental organizational shifts could be in the cards.

"A lot of things are up for grabs," said David Smith at tech research firm Gartner. "How the management is structured -- there could be more changes."

No room for an empire builder
Sinofsky, a 23-year Microsoft veteran, built up a walled empire around his Windows unit.

His hard-charging but methodical style, which took on the name "Sinofskyization," alienated other groups in the company, especially the Office unit, the other financial pillar of Microsoft's success.

"Steven is a brilliant guy who made tremendous contributions to Microsoft," said Silverberg. "But he was also a polarizing guy, and the antibodies ultimately caught up with him."

The decision not to share the latest internal test versions of Windows 8 and keep the Surface tablet a secret until just before its announcement especially upset the Office group, which insiders say accounts for the lack of a fully featured Office suite on the Surface RT tablet.

Last edited by fjtorres; 11-16-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #190
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Microsoft -- which Ballmer rechristened as a "devices and services company" last month
Will they eventually have to change the name of the company? I mean, Microsoft sounds a lot like a company making non-mainframe software.

When it comes to devices, I really like my new self-built Windows 8 computer. And my Kindle Keyboard is good enough to be worth repairing. As to services, I've pretty much decided against paying Microsoft $49 a year to host my freeware program. SkyDrive, I guess, is another service. The price there is sure right (free), but I'm satisfied with equivalent I get from Google. So I'm gonna say I need neither Microsoft's devices nor it's services. I consider myself pro-Microsoft, but if Microsoft becomes a devices and services company, Linux will be looking better.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #191
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
if Microsoft becomes a devices and services company, Linux will be looking better.
Microsoft has *always* been a software *tools*and virtualization company. In their world, everything has an API and SDK, and everything is programmable. (Even Word Processors and Drawing programs--witness the evolution of Visio once they took it over.)

Skydrive and Hotmail/Outlook are just components of the real "services" product they are developing; Windows Azure. And minor ones at that.

What Ballmer was buzz-wording about is that MS is looking to grow in two new (for them) directions; consumer devices and corporate hosting services. XBOX, Surface, and other gadgets will reach out directly to consumers in markets where OEM partnerships are a liability and the corporate services will reach out to business looking to get rid of their data centers and attendant overhead.

The middle ground of packaged software and OEM-supplied hardware will continue as usual; it's just MS playing the usual game of "what's mine is mine, everything else is negotiable." PCs and Servers are their domain and they have no intention of giving it away--they are not SGI--but they aren't going to keep on handicapping themselves by playing the OEM game in other markets. If that means playing Apple and Google's games, they'll do it. (Just like they played Sony's game to get into the fight for the living room, a place where neither Apple nor Google has had meaningful success.)

That is what Surface is about and what Azure is about; playing new games in new ways. Different tools for different markets.

The strategy is fine. The tactics and execution? Time will tell.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #192
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Went to the Microsoft store last night, to look at the Surface RT. Very impressed, and liked the keyboard cover -both of them. But I tried to log in to work, and as reported, it didn't work. But, they had the new Acer ultrabook, and that was nice. I think I will go with an Ultrabook anyway - right now, I am lying on the couch, typing. Don't think that would work with the Surface Pro. (A little bit of rationalization, because I want a new computer now.)
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #193
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
So I finally got my hands on the Surface last Thursday and used it for a few days. My overall impressions are very positive. It looks great, is extremely light for its size (exactly the same length as my Kindle DX but a lot narrower) and the build quality seems to be excellent. I was very surprised how well the Touch keyboard works, I really wasn't expecting this. Battery life is very, very good. But I really wish the angle of that kickstand was adjustable, hardware wise this and the proprietary power adapter are my only complaints. The full size USB port is also great, just plug in a mouse, keyboard, HDD, whatever, that doesn't need drivers. With the mouse Office apps work just like they do on any PC and the same goes for connecting to our server via RDP.

OS-wise I love the side-by-side apps. That alone puts it way ahead of the competition. Although I wish they had gone farther and allowed four apps and also allow for two windows of equal size side-by-side. There actually is one app (Windows 8 tools) which allows you to display up to 7 smaller windows with preset tools within one part of the split screen. Very handy for the clock, weather, battery display, etc. Which brings me to one glaring oversight --- battery status and clock are not usually visible. These are essential on a mobile device. The OS seems very smooth, apps open and close almost instantly, with few exceptions. The sync feature is also a great idea, as soon as had logged in all the different keyboards for various languages with the appropriate settings from my laptop where installed.

Flash works great right out of the box (you may have to edit the white list manually), Hulu, Amazon instant video, ARD and ZDF from Germany, all work fine. Unfortunately there is no Java support.

Lack of apps definitely will be a concern for most at this time, though I am pretty sure it will get better very soon. I personally just want to see a pressdisplay app and some more browser options --- although IE 10 seems really excellent. But if you like to play a lot games and are constantly looking for new apps, Windows RT definitely is not for you. At this moment a lot of audio and video files cannot be played -- but we know that Windows RT supports all of these and developers have announced that they are already working on apps that can play these file types.

I tried the Kindle app and I was really surprised at how good text looked in spite of the low resolution. And I held the device really close up to my face.

Final verdict is that for me the Surface RT can do about 90% of what my PC can do, which is a lot more than I can say about Android. I am generally happy with the interface, though Android is a lot more customizable, but the Surface can definitely hold its own as a tablet.

Last edited by HansTWN; 11-17-2012 at 11:29 PM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:10 AM   #194
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
...also allow for two windows of equal size side-by-side.
You freely can divide the screen estate between any 2 apps: There's a slider at the edge of the first app you "pull down". You can move this slider freely. The next app then takes the rest of the screen. 50:50, 25:75, 75:25 or whatever you want.

Last edited by mgmueller; 11-18-2012 at 02:16 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:13 AM   #195
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
...Which brings me to one glaring oversight --- battery status and clock are not usually visible. These are essential on a mobile device...
I agree, it would be more convenient to have those in sight permanently.
But:
a.) You can place respective tiles next to your other apps.
b.) Within any app, briefly (2cm or so) flick from the right bezel into the screen. At the bottom you see WiFi, clock, battery and so on. Takes less than half a second and has all the info you normally would have in the task list of Windows 7.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote