Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-31-2007, 03:17 AM   #1
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
Problem Reading RTF how to even begin to diagnose??

Ok I had some PDF they were just text so to make life easier I opened them in acrobat and did a save as and changed to RTF. No problem saved it dumped it to the memory stick stuck it in the player.

Almost all the files do not work. I select a book it does its "formatting" thing but when its done it still shows total pages as ZERO and if I try to select begin reading anyway the reader reboots.

Suggestions? how do I tell what is goofy with these files? I do not have nor want sony connect software installed. I just dump my files onto the memory card and go on my way.

How do I tell what is "goofy" about these files thats ticking off my reader?

Update - if I save as txt and then open txt and saver as RTF it works fine but I lose too much formatting namely the vertical spacing between paragraphs which makes it way to hard to read.

so something I am losing in the conversion fixes it I need to figure out what it is so I can get rid of it without converting to txt and losing the formatting.

Thanks!
Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/

Last edited by nerys; 08-31-2007 at 03:43 AM.
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:58 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
Ok I had some PDF they were just text so to make life easier I opened them in acrobat and did a save as and changed to RTF. No problem saved it dumped it to the memory stick stuck it in the player.

Almost all the files do not work. I select a book it does its "formatting" thing but when its done it still shows total pages as ZERO and if I try to select begin reading anyway the reader reboots.

Suggestions? how do I tell what is goofy with these files? I do not have nor want sony connect software installed. I just dump my files onto the memory card and go on my way.

How do I tell what is "goofy" about these files thats ticking off my reader?

Update - if I save as txt and then open txt and saver as RTF it works fine but I lose too much formatting namely the vertical spacing between paragraphs which makes it way to hard to read.

so something I am losing in the conversion fixes it I need to figure out what it is so I can get rid of it without converting to txt and losing the formatting.

Thanks!
Chris Taylor
http://www.nerys.com/
I had a similar issue with RTF written out by the ABC Amber converters. WHat you need to do is load the RTF into Word and save as RTF again. This will fix the problem with the screwy RTF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2007, 06:58 PM   #3
nerys
Addict

I do not have word will open office ? also I have been cleaning up the files (getting rid of beginning and ending detritus and so far they have all worked after I have done this. I just have no idea what it is that I am removing thats fixing it. IT MIGHT be links. I noticed so far all the files had blue links at the end so it could be that?? not sure. I will try to deduce what it is but its so hard to tell if its something invisible that I am removing and not the visible content.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:12 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
OpenOffice or even WordPad should do for this purpose, sometimes it seems like Word is just so ubiquitous that we forget that a lot of folks don't use it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 07:18 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's due to bad software that writes bogus RTF files. You'll need a program such as Word (possibly Open Offic) to rewrite the RTF to remove all the crap the bogus software writes. ABC Amber LIT converter writes piss poor RTF.
Advert
Old 08-31-2007, 07:47 PM   #6
nerys
Addict

actually it was a PDF (made by amber lit it seems) that I opened in acrobat to saver as RTF resaving in wordpad did not fix it. I will try open office.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:54 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
actually it was a PDF (made by amber lit it seems) that I opened in acrobat to saver as RTF resaving in wordpad did not fix it. I will try open office.
I've found that ABC Amber writes some really sloppy files. PDF & RTF are really sloppy files. Try ABC AMber to write the PDF as DOC and then read the DOC in Open Office and output as RTF.

The other thing to do is load the RTF into Book Designer and convert it to LRF or use rtf2lrf (part of libprs500).
Old 09-03-2007, 03:07 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If it's a text only PDF pdf2lrf should do the trick.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote