Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
gatorman
gatorman began at the beginning.

Device: none
combining chapters

I have several chapters done of 34 chapters in a novel. Once I get each chapter as an epub how do I get them all together with a toc for an epub book? Thanks,
gatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorman View Post
I have several chapters done of 34 chapters in a novel. Once I get each chapter as an epub how do I get them all together with a toc for an epub book? Thanks,
If you add them to Sigil:
Drag them in to proper order in the 'book browser';

make each chapter/ additional sections that you want in the TOC have a 'header (level)' at their start.
Press F7 to see (and hide unwanted items) the TOC . OK
now press F8 and adjust the meta-data.

Validate with Flightcrew (fix as required)

Save

A working, but not totally elegant EPUB

To add elegance, A style sheet to rule them all
Some graphics to brighten the scene
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 07:59 AM   #3
gatorman

Thanks so much, I have plenty graphics to brighten the scene but am lost on making a style sheet to rule them all. Hopefully when I get all 34 chapters ready I will post again and get some direction about the style sheet.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:37 PM   #4
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorman View Post
Thanks so much, I have plenty graphics to brighten the scene but am lost on making a style sheet to rule them all. Hopefully when I get all 34 chapters ready I will post again and get some direction about the style sheet.
I don't know what you are using to put your book together but Calibre can convert ODT (Open Office) and TXT files into epub which will give you a big head start.

While going through my mother's papers, after she died, I discovered a folder of her poetry. My wife and I used notepad to transcribe it into digital form. I then used Calibre to convert the TXT file into epub and then edited it with Sigil using the title to create the TOC.

I began the project with some trepidation since I had no knowledge of the inner workings of epub or html, and I thought a style-sheet must have something to do with the fashion world. Since it is fairly logical it wasn't to hard. There are Internet hmtl tutorials, plenty of books you can dissect and a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum who are willing to help.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

Regards - John
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:45 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabby View Post
I don't know what you are using to put your book together but Calibre can convert ODT (Open Office) and TXT files into epub which will give you a big head start.

While going through my mother's papers, after she died, I discovered a folder of her poetry. My wife and I used notepad to transcribe it into digital form. I then used Calibre to convert the TXT file into epub and then edited it with Sigil using the title to create the TOC.

I began the project with some trepidation since I had no knowledge of the inner workings of epub or html, and I thought a style-sheet must have something to do with the fashion world. Since it is fairly logical it wasn't to hard. There are Internet hmtl tutorials, plenty of books you can dissect and a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum who are willing to help.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress.

Regards - John
Writer 2 EPUB does it directly from OO
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
gatorman

I can not figure out how to display more than one chp in the book browser at a time. I go to file open and open a chp but when I open another chp the first one goes away. How to I add chps so they all show in the book browser. Thanks,
Old 01-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You mean you have the chapters as separate epub's? That will not work then. If you still have your source, start working from there. Create one xhtml file and import that into sigil. Or, if you use Atlantis or OO with writer2epub, write the source in one epub file.

It is not really possible to combine epub's without much editing due to duplicate filenames and differences in stylesheets, classes and so on.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote