Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
JAcheson
Tech Writer
JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JAcheson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Nook Color, Nook Simple Touch, Vizio Tablet, Nexus 10
Earl: a 6" E-ink Android Tablet with Solar Panels and Radio

Meet Earl

"Earl" is an Android tablet with a 6" e-ink screen and solar cells on the back, designed to be a back-country survival tool with GPS and preloaded maps. It also is set up to read Epub, Mobi and PDF.

Further, it has a fairly decent radio in it:
Quote:
Worldwide FM band (64–108 MHz). Worldwide AM band (520–1710 kHz). Shortwave band (2.3–21.85 MHz). Longwave band (153–279 KHz). NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) Weather Band using SAME technology (162 MHz).
The tablet has a 3000mAh battery rated for 20 hours of active use. The solar cells are supposed to recharge it in 5 hours.

Originally seen on Engadget.

Frankly, I'm interested in the thing just to have a full-fledged Android tablet with an e-ink screen.
JAcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I like it!

I don't know why I'm so into things like this I'm not a survivalist, a prepper, nor am I even especially outdoorsy, but if I was in the business of designing gadgets, this is the kind of gadget I'd want to design.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Me want. I'm not the outdoorsy type either but the IP67 rating would make it an ideal reader in the bath or by the beach/swimming pool.

Android 4.1 means I can use Mantano Reader Premium or a host of other Android reader apps that, for some reason, have better library management and user-friendly features/options compared to commercial e-ink readers.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I'm an outdoorsman more in theory than in practice, but I like that it's designed to operate as a self-contained unit--a tri-corder of sorts, for the Trekkies out there

Too many apps and utilities on mobile devices demand a data connection for no good reason whatsoever (usually DRM and/or cross-marketing with social networks). My main interest in tablet technology from the start was offline reading and reference.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I'm an outdoorsman more in theory than in practice, but I like that it's designed to operate as a self-contained unit--a tri-corder of sorts, for the Trekkies out there
...and I guess THAT explains why I like it.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Android 4.1 means I can use Mantano Reader Premium or a host of other Android reader apps that, for some reason, have better library management and user-friendly features/options compared to commercial e-ink readers.
Specs are impressive, solar cells a natural pairing with power-savvy tech like eInk. But when it comes to using of-the-shelf Android apps on eInk screen, I want to see it in action first. If it is as fast as Aura HD, they have a winner.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Interesting concept that definitely intrigues me. But, I have two reservations that make it a no-go. The first one is its size. It's too large to be lugging around on the trails. 5" would be much better. The second problem is it's lack of a hardshell snap-on cover to protect the display.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 05-13-2013 at 10:38 PM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #8
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Interesting concept that definitely intrigues me. But, I have two reservations that make it a no-go. The first one is its size. It's too large to be lugging around on the trails. 5" would be much better. The second problem is it's lack of a hardshell snap-on cover to protect the display.
I don't think the one inch should be showstopper. And it will hopefully be rugged enough without a cover, but you could always provide your own. I'd rather carry the extra inch of useful device than a cover if its not needed
Old 05-13-2013, 11:14 PM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Cool! I've been wondering why e-ink readers don't have solar cells like lots of calculators do.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:15 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I don't think the one inch should be showstopper. And it will hopefully be rugged enough without a cover, but you could always provide your own. I'd rather carry the extra inch of useful device than a cover if its not needed
It has the same dimensions as a 7" tablet. That's too large for one handed use.

I'm sure it's a rugged device; but for outdoor use, the display needs hardshell protection similar to the snap-on covers used by OtterBox and Seidio.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:03 AM   #11
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Wait, it has (or will have) a flexible e-ink display? And solar? Neat.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:22 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Wait, it has (or will have) a flexible e-ink display? And solar? Neat.
Yep; flexible is a big plus.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:10 AM   #13
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I would have jumped in if it had 5" screen. Having said that, I love the concept. Flexible Eink screen, android 4.1, built in GPS, AM/FM, solar charger, waterproof , and more, what’s not to like
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #14
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
They won't offer a European version until the end of the year.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #15
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
"Lunar" mode for nighttime illumination also doubles as an emergency lantern.
I wonder if that's anything like a front light or how it works for reading at night? It really sounds like an interesting device.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
earl, gps