Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #16
mog
mog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 (NT)
Thank you guys for all your help. I can now put custom screensavers on my kindle ( creation of a "screensaver" folder ).

Quote:
geekmaster: "(...)lot less willing to defend amazon after all the hostile updates that break custom apps in 5.1.0 and 4.1.0 firmware."
..have anyone found a way to run Developer application ( kindlet ) on my Kindle NT 4.1.0fw?
mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #17
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mog View Post
Thank you guys for all your help. I can now put custom screensavers on my kindle ( creation of a "screensaver" folder ).

..have anyone found a way to run Developer application ( kindlet ) on my Kindle NT 4.1.0fw?
There are reports that the jailbreak works on 4.1.0, which then allows kindlets. There are some kindlets (hopefully more get indexed later) in the Master Index sticky, kindlet category. Some kindlets should work on any kindle model, and some may depend on features specific to certain kindle models. If you have not installed the jailbreak, check out the K4 hacking wiki (linked into the K4 category of the master index).

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-13-2012 at 10:47 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #18
mog
mog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 (NT)
Quote:
"Ixtab" Simple JailBreak Method(Alternate way of gaining Root Access)

Download http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16679763/kin...lbreak-1.0.zip
Unzip
Copy RUNME.sh and data.tar.gz to your Kindle
Reboot from settings menu (Settings, then press the "options" button again)
Don't be alarmed if all your books aren't there! In 5 seconds for me they refreshed back.
i have fallowed the lxtab jailbreak ( until now, everything ok ) and now, what is the next step i need to do, to make my kindle open Kindlets ?

PS: do i need to follow "Enable ssh access through wifi" or "Internet Access for Kindle4NT via a Windows XP computer" ?
mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:36 AM   #19
poomex
poomex began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolkodo View Post
You just have to SSH into the kindle (e.g. with the USBnet-methode) and then create a RUNME.sh in the /mnt/us with the following content:

Code:
mntroot rw
if [ ! -f /var/local/adunits.bkp ]; then
	mv /var/local/adunits /var/local/adunits.bkp
	touch /var/local/adunits
fi
mntroot ro
Save, exit and make the following:
Code:
chmod +x /mnt/us/RUNME.sh; mntroot rw
Make a backup about the mntus.params file with this:
Code:
cp /var/local/system/mntus.params /var/local/system/mntus.params.BKP
Extend the original mntus.params with the followings:
Code:
if [ -e /mnt/us/RUNME.sh ]; then
	sh /mnt/us/RUNME.sh
fi
If you would like to see a log then change the "sh /mnt/us/RUNME.sh" with "sh /mnt/us/RUNME.sh > /mnt/us/RUNME.log"

If you are ready, just create and link the screensaver folder, just like before:
Code:
mkdir /mnt/us/screensaver
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/base-mmc
mv /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800 /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800.bkp
ln -sfn /mnt/us/screensaver /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800
exit
As far as I know this is the only black/hackway and there's no "block the ads" and "put screensavers" hack.
I tried it on my own K4 NT SO, works.

From what I have tried to remove the ads it looks like it's enough to do:

Code:

touch /var/local/adunits
You don't need to create the script.
poomex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:19 AM   #20
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by poomex View Post

Code:

touch /var/local/adunits
Just don't forget to revert that change before trying to do the next firmware update that Amazon pushes to you.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:01 PM   #21
nikiiiva
nikiiiva began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 (NT SO)
Hi,
how do you revert change before applying next firmware, and does it have to be done even if I do only factory restore without update? Is that necessary for Gondolkodo's instructions also?

Thanks
nikiiiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #22
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikiiiva View Post
Hi,
how do you revert change before applying next firmware, and does it have to be done even if I do only factory restore without update? Is that necessary for Gondolkodo's instructions also?

Thanks
The steps shown do:
  • Renames a directory ('mv' move to another name)
  • Creates a file by the same, original directory name

To revert those changes do:
  • Remove (rm) the file that was created
  • Rename the directory to its original name with ('mv' from the backup name)

If you let Amazon push you an "automatic" update (v4.1.1?) then it may: install, fail with an error code, or brick the machine.
Can't say which, that update hasn't been shipped yet.

If instead you get the next update (v4.1.whatever) from the Amazon support site, then you have a chance to be sure the original directory and files are back to "factory state" before you install the manually downloaded file.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #23
nikiiiva

So if I understood correctly, I will have to manually change all files to their original state before I do either factory restore to the same firmware or update to the new one when it comes? Also I do not understand what "automatic" update means? I downloaded firmware from amazon and copied it to my device when I updated.

Thanks
Old 06-18-2012, 07:45 PM   #24
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
So if I understood correctly, I will have to manually change all files to their original state before I do either factory restore to the same firmware or update to the new one when it comes? Also I do not understand what "automatic" update means? I downloaded firmware from amazon and copied it to my device when I updated.

Thanks
Modern kindles frequently brick themselves WITHOUT any hacks. Hacks just hasten the process.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #25
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:

Thanks
No.
That is not a general requirement, I was specific in my earlier post.

The "factory restore" does not do what it sounds like outside of the en_LAB126 dialect.

Automatic means the updates which Amazon will download onto your machine while it is connected to Wifi. The machine will then automatically install that update in the process of going to sleep the next time.

What you did is what I meant by a "manual update" - you where in charge of what and when.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:47 AM   #26
nikiiiva

Ok. Now I understand. Thanks. Is there any way to disable OTA update?
Old 06-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #27
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Ok. Now I understand. Thanks. Is there any way to disable OTA update?
Several.
I can not recall if they are indexed.

If you find them (the threads and/or wiki pages) include them in a post as links and I will be sure they get put into the index.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #28
nikiiiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Several.
I can not recall if they are indexed.

If you find them (the threads and/or wiki pages) include them in a post as links and I will be sure they get put into the index.
Found them. Here there are, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169150. There are several methods but no one confirmed that they work on K4 NT. When I try, I will report back there.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #29
Ot70
Ot70 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gondolkodo View Post
You just have to SSH into the kindle (e.g. with the USBnet-methode) and then create a RUNME.sh in the /mnt/us with the following content:

Code:
mntroot rw
	touch /var/local/adunits
fi
mntroot ro
Code:
Code:
Code:
	sh /mnt/us/RUNME.sh
fi
If you would like to see a log then change the "sh /mnt/us/RUNME.sh" with "sh /mnt/us/RUNME.sh > /mnt/us/RUNME.log"

If you are ready, just create and link the screensaver folder, just like before:
Code:
mv /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800 /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800.bkp
exit
As far as I know this is the only black/hackway and there's no "block the ads" and "put screensavers" hack.
I tried it on my own K4 NT SO, works.
Thank you so much man, you gave me a knowledge!!!
Ot70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #30
jack_slapped
jack_slapped began at the beginning.

Device: KSO 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by poomex View Post

Code:

touch /var/local/adunits
I know this is kind of an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone could help me out with removing the ads off of my kindle 4 NT. I tried using these lines of code and got access denied. The username I used was "framework" password "mario". As none of the root usernames would work for me.

I wanted to try this method, but I wasn't exactly sure how to do it. So I decided against it. If anyone could shed some light on how to remove ads on the 4.1.0 firmware I would be very grateful. All the information on the wiki seems to be outdated.

Code:
mntroot rw
	touch /var/local/adunits
fi
mntroot ro
Code:
Code:
Code:
	sh /mnt/us/RUNME.sh
fi

Code:
exit
jack_slapped is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4.1.0, hack, jailbreak, k4nt, kindle 4 nt