Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-24-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Battery Charging Stations

I have my Sony 505, and iPhone and Nokia phone, and camera batteries (two different models) that all need recharging on a regular basis. The camera batteries need to get recharged almost daily, the iPhone and Nokia about every other day, and the e-reader about once every 10 days. I made a 'charging station' out of an outlet strip that has an on/off button for each outlet, keeping all my chargers plugged into the strip all the time, using the on/off buttons when I connect a device. Everything is kept neat, all the wires bundled and out of the way, with only the micro plug wires or docks visible and accessible. Very convenient for me.

Do you use a charging station/dock for all your devices?

Is it a dedicated unit or did you make it yourself?

What is your normal procedure for charging?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I use a "squid". all of the charging devices are plugged into it with the excess cord coiled up and tie wrapped. they all sit on the second shelf of my nightstand with the cords going out the back. best I've been able to come up with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	squid.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	55653  
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's a similar idea to what I use. Mine is simple in 'stick' form with on/of switches for each tap.

I'm lucky in that all my transformers for the chargers will fit side by side on the strip.

They are selling something here that designed to hold all the ugly transformer boxes in one closed and covered container, with only the electric cords coming out to be seen. I was thinking of getting one for my external hard drive transformers (I use five external drives, plus sound system transformer, etc) just to clean up the look under my computer desk.

Stitchawl
Old 07-25-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
with all of my devices they absolutely will NOT fit side by side so I had to get the "squid". when I was in California I had a very tiny nightstand and couldn't do the same thing so had one of those boxes with just a few plug ins. I only kept my phone and Kindle on it.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
They are selling something here that designed to hold all the ugly transformer boxes in one closed and covered container, with only the electric cords coming out to be seen.
I'd be a little wary of that. Some types of transformer can get very hot, and shut in a sealed box you could have problems.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

if it is similar to what I had, they aren't tightly sealed. there is a hole in the back for cords, and it is hinged to easily open and close
Old 07-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #7
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I have a single cord that is beside my bed on my nightstand.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #8
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd be a little wary of that. Some types of transformer can get very hot, and shut in a sealed box you could have problems.
Harry, trust the Japanese to think of fire safety... There is an exhaust fan in the box. The transformers all plug into the box's internal outlets so there is only one wire coming out to the mains, a large exhaust fan on the side pulling air through the box, and a unit on/off switch.

The Japanese are sooooo fire conscious (stemming from the old days when houses were made of wood with paper walls, and heated with charcoal braziers, ) that most folks turn off ALL heating devices at night, even in winter. There are neighborhood groups that take turns walking the streets each night about 10pm, clacking together wooden blocks, to remind people to turn off heaters, electric rugs, electric water heaters, etc. Many older folks turn off ALL electrical devices every night before going to bed! My in-laws all do this, in all the various family homes.

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 07-25-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:18 PM   #9
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Ooh, I like that power strip with separate on/off switches....wonder if they sell them in the States?

I just use a regular power strip, but with everything plugged into it, if I need to charge one gadget, all the adapters get power. I try to charge more than one thing at a time, but it just doesn't always work out that way.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:58 AM   #10
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Ooh, I like that power strip with separate on/off switches....wonder if they sell them in the States?

I just use a regular power strip, but with everything plugged into it, if I need to charge one gadget, all the adapters get power. I try to charge more than one thing at a time, but it just doesn't always work out that way.
"Adapters!!!" THAT was the word I was trying to think of, not 'transformers!' Yes, they do sell them in the States. That's where I bought the one I'm using right now for my charging needs. My computer strips are all surge protectors that I bought here in Japan.

Stitchawl
Old 07-26-2010, 05:23 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Harry, trust the Japanese to think of fire safety... There is an exhaust fan in the box. The transformers all plug into the box's internal outlets so there is only one wire coming out to the mains, a large exhaust fan on the side pulling air through the box, and a unit on/off switch.
Good, that sounds fine, in that case!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:11 AM   #12
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
You can buy little teeny extension cords (about 6" long) to plug adapters into strips they don't physically fit into. They can be a sanity saver when you have to plug into a UPS whose manufacturer was unable to imagine that people might actually own more than two wall warts.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:25 AM   #13
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I just have a power strip at my night stand. To help keep the cords organized I use these: http://www.askmen.com/daily/photo_bl...brilliant.html
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:35 AM   #14
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Good, that sounds fine, in that case!
Harry, the Japanese firemen come around to everyone's homes once a year checking to see if we are plugging too many lines into a wall socket!

If a firefighter has a fire in his own home, he loses his job!!! They take fire prevention really seriously here!

Frankly, so do I. With so many electrical devices used with computers, i.e. printers, scanners, amped speakers, desk light, not to mention the computer itself, I had two new 3-wire grounded (Earthed) circuits run to where we plug in our toys just to handle the extra load.

Stitchawl
Old 07-26-2010, 07:42 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I have a small powerstrip on my desk (something like Stitchawl posted, except with only 3 outlets). I use that when I need to charge something, or if I have my laptop on my desk. But I often charge my JE100 at work, by connecting it to my PC. My phones are more often empty than not, which is why I only want phones with a very good battery life...

I never leave adapters in it, I'll just plug them in when I need to.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote