Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #16
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdean256 View Post
I am interested in this function, but am not in a position to help with the debugging. But it seemed that this approach would work for a find file utility - populate a folder with shortcuts to files that match a search expression. Is that feasible?
Hi td,

Sorry for the late reply, I somehow missed your post. This would certainly be possible, but searching in all the different files-formats of the DR will require a lot of code, so it will not be anything that I will create on a short notice...

Marcel.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:51 AM   #17
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
Hi td,

Sorry for the late reply, I somehow missed your post. This would certainly be possible, but searching in all the different files-formats of the DR will require a lot of code, so it will not be anything that I will create on a short notice...

Marcel.
Just searching for file names would be major step forward. A lot of times I can remember a portion of a file name but not the subdirectory I assumed was so logical a location for it at the time. If I need a more extensive search, I use Google Desktop with the mirror image I have of the DR on my desktop computer.

td
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #18
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Just searching for file names would be major step forward. A lot of times I can remember a portion of a file name but not the subdirectory I assumed was so logical a location for it at the time. If I need a more extensive search, I use Google Desktop with the mirror image I have of the DR on my desktop computer.

td
Aha that sounds a lot easier, that should be somewhere within my capabilities :-). But giving the other things I want to do, this will not be in the near future... (Anyone has a time multiplier for sale, I could use some extra time?) Maybe there is someone else willing to create this? I can give support via e-mail!
Old 01-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #19
Mackx
Guru

Has anyone installed the patch for the recent files?
Old 01-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #20
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
It might be a good idea to create a new thread with files and instructions included.

Thanks again, Mackx!
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2010, 06:49 AM   #21
jbbebg
Enthusiast
jbbebg began at the beginning.

Device: prs 500, prs 505, Irex Iliad, Irex Digital
Dear Mackx,

I use recently used files since the day of the publication. I did not find any bugs. It's true that the shortcuts amount increase, but it can be deleted by regular delete command. I think it's a good feature and I am waiting for the functionality of the last opened file. Anyway usage of just one opened file (opened and used at the shutdown) or all (opened and not used at shutdown) will be great.

Thank you,
Happy New Year, and a lot of successful iRex projects and regular personal project also, of course.
Regards,
jbbebg
jbbebg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:30 AM   #22
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbebg View Post
I use recently used files since the day of the publication. I did not find any bugs. It's true that the shortcuts amount increase, but it can be deleted by regular delete command. I think it's a good feature and I am waiting for the functionality of the last opened file. Anyway usage of just one opened file (opened and used at the shutdown) or all (opened and not used at shutdown) will be great.
Hi jbbebg,

Thanks for the feedback, good to hear you like it. An initial version of the auto-start functionality is under test (and the first issues are already found ...). I guess I will need at least 2-3 weeks to get a version that is good enough to publish here.

Regards,
Marcel.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #23
tjdean256
Zealot

I have been using the feature too and have not encountered any problems. I would caution about automatically opening open files. A problem could arise when encountering a file that does not behave well. There needs to be some way of killing the problem file as it tries to reload after a reset. Also, I don't mind the list of the files in the Recent folder growing as files are opened as the shortcuts can be easily deleted in bulk from the desktop.

td
Old 01-04-2010, 12:49 PM   #24
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
I have been using the feature too and have not encountered any problems. I would caution about automatically opening open files. A problem could arise when encountering a file that does not behave well. There needs to be some way of killing the problem file as it tries to reload after a reset. Also, I don't mind the list of the files in the Recent folder growing as files are opened as the shortcuts can be easily deleted in bulk from the desktop.

td
Hi td,

Thanks for the feedback. Removing the SD-card is always a solution, the problem file (or the data stored in dr1000.ini, used by the new functionality) can be deleted. I also build in a mechanism that deletes the entries from the registry (gconf) before starting them, so after a reset, all should be cleared (but I have not tested this ...).

I currently have problems with the auto-shutdown mechanism. I can detect it (using sysPrepareUnmount), but I seem to be too late to store the open file(s) in gconf and get them saved to dr1000.ini (standard mechanism of DR firmware) ... but searching for a solution ...
Old 01-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #25
tjdean256
Zealot

Quote:
Hi td,

... Removing the SD-card is always a solution, the problem file (or the data stored in dr1000.ini, used by the new functionality) can be deleted...
Of course. Good point!
Old 01-04-2010, 02:44 PM   #26
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Of course. Good point!

I think I also found a solution for my problem, although this looks more like a hack then a solution ... I react on a call of the setSplashShow("shutdown") event being sent to popupmenu. This catches both the 'manual' shutdown and the automatic shutdown. More news to follow in due time.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #27
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
Cool feature, Mackx!

Quote:
I currently have problems with the auto-shutdown mechanism. I can detect it (using sysPrepareUnmount), but I seem to be too late to store the open file(s) in gconf and get them saved to dr1000.ini (standard mechanism of DR firmware) ... but searching for a solution ...
DR1000's System Daemon emits the sysPrepareUnmount signal just before exporting the GConf registry to dr1000.ini, so there is only a very small window to save something. I'm not sure that storing the data to the registry is the best option anyway. GConf is, as its man page says, "a system for storing application preferences. It is intended for user preferences; not configuration of something like Apache, or arbitrary data storage.not intended to be used as a generic data storage."

That does not mean it can't be used for this, but why not save it in a plain text file or separate ini file on the SD card? It would at least work around the issue.
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:19 PM   #28
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gertjan View Post
DR1000's System Daemon emits the sysPrepareUnmount signal just before exporting the GConf registry to dr1000.ini, so there is only a very small window to save something. I'm not sure that storing the data to the registry is the best option anyway. GConf is, as its man page says, "a system for storing application preferences. It is intended for user preferences; not configuration of something like Apache, or arbitrary data storage.not intended to be used as a generic data storage."

That does not mean it can't be used for this, but why not save it in a plain text file or separate ini file on the SD card? It would at least work around the issue.
Hi Gertjan, I am 'new' to linux programming, so I just copied some behaviour of existing DR-apps, thanks for pointing this out to me. I found a new way around the problem, but will keep this in the back of my mind. Are there some helper functions to handle ini-files (I will probably find them if I search long enough, but I am hoping you knowledge can help me quicker :-) ?
Old 01-05-2010, 02:46 AM   #29
Gertjan
ex-IRX developer
Gertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litterGertjan doesn't litter

Device: Irex DR800S, DR1000S, iLiad
Quote:
Are there some helper functions to handle ini-files (I will probably find them if I search long enough, but I am hoping you knowledge can help me quicker :-) ?
GKeyFile in GLib is a very nice set of utility functions to read, write and parse Windows-style ini files. erconftool uses them too.
Gertjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:42 AM   #30
Viacheslav
Connoisseur
Viacheslav doesn't litterViacheslav doesn't litter

Device: iRex DR1000
I have just installed the patched ctb with recent files functionality (v1.0) and made some addons:
- a new settings icon
- a Russian translation for the settings applet.
Attached Files
File Type: zip addon.zip (14.3 KB, 221 views)
Viacheslav is offline   Reply With Quote