Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-10-2016, 11:24 AM   #16
melovesflying
Groupie
melovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
About only thing you haven't tried is removing internal uSD card and install new image.

I assume It has a good battery and eink screen someone will buy it for those parts. Sell it on ebay or Mobile Read Flea Market. The buyer would have to be in your country to make shipping costs worth while.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124
True. I'm too scared to open it up.

If there's a slightly small chance (which I doubt) that Kobo would be willing to let me send my device to their local partner and get a replacement from them, I'd get it and sell it. I'm planning to get the Paperwhite while it's on sale right now as it's cheaper.

To everyone who helped, thank you!
melovesflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:19 PM   #17
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Instructions how to open your reader remove uSD card and clone it to another uSD card same or more GBites or use known good image from davidfor is covered by posts on MobileRead Forum including links to youtube videos. If you are not comfortable doing this any smart phone repair shop could follow those instructions and install new image. But, this will void warranty that Kobo and your local Kobo dealer will not honour. I opened a Kobo Wifi with a broken screen that couldn't be fixed without a replacement screen and my Kobo Mini to install larger uSD card. Only difficulty was double sided sticky tape holding it together could and might have caused a careless me to flex screen damaging it. This risk is reduced by keeping reader face down on table edge as you pry it open.

You can reduce warranty return cost by having someone flying to USA or Canada mail it to Kobo after arrival.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2016, 04:04 AM   #18
melovesflying
Groupie
melovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy bluemelovesflying can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kobo Aura, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Instructions how to open your reader remove uSD card and clone it to another uSD card same or more GBites or use known good image from davidfor is covered by posts on MobileRead Forum including links to youtube videos. If you are not comfortable doing this any smart phone repair shop could follow those instructions and install new image. But, this will void warranty that Kobo and your local Kobo dealer will not honour. I opened a Kobo Wifi with a broken screen that couldn't be fixed without a replacement screen and my Kobo Mini to install larger uSD card. Only difficulty was double sided sticky tape holding it together could and might have caused a careless me to flex screen damaging it. This risk is reduced by keeping reader face down on table edge as you pry it open.

You can reduce warranty return cost by having someone flying to USA or Canada mail it to Kobo after arrival.
I might do that if I find someone flying off to Canada anytime soon. But for now, I switched and just bought a Paperwhite. Reading is a vice of mine and I'm not used to not having an ereader everywhere I go. Can't resist Amazon's deal for that. :P
melovesflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:39 PM   #19
Cedros
Enthusiast
Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara; Kobo H20v2; Kobo Glo HD;
In the last week or so my Kobo Glo HD (purchased ten months ago) has developed the same problem. When I open the sleep cover, the Kobo reader does not wake up. So far, closing the cover and reopening it has worked. The cover is looser now than when new and I wondered if that has anything to with it. So far it's an infrequent problem and I'm hoping (like hope works with these devices!) it doesn't get worse.
Cedros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:54 PM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedros View Post
In the last week or so my Kobo Glo HD (purchased ten months ago) has developed the same problem. When I open the sleep cover, the Kobo reader does not wake up. So far, closing the cover and reopening it has worked. The cover is looser now than when new and I wondered if that has anything to with it. So far it's an infrequent problem and I'm hoping (like hope works with these devices!) it doesn't get worse.
My guess would be that the cover is stretching and not closing as square as it used to. That is putting the magnet in the cover in the wrong place to trigger the sleep and wake. The device is probably actually sleeping because of the time-out rather than the cover closing. I had a cheap cover for the Aura H2O that this happened with. If I wasn't careful, the cover would be at an angle when it closed and didn't trigger the sleep. The official Kobo cover worked a lot better.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2016, 12:55 PM   #21
Cedros
Enthusiast
Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cedros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara; Kobo H20v2; Kobo Glo HD;
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
My guess would be that the cover is stretching and not closing as square as it used to. That is putting the magnet in the cover in the wrong place to trigger the sleep and wake. The device is probably actually sleeping because of the time-out rather than the cover closing. I had a cheap cover for the Aura H2O that this happened with. If I wasn't careful, the cover would be at an angle when it closed and didn't trigger the sleep. The official Kobo cover worked a lot better.
I bought the Kobo sleep cover at Chapters when I bought my Kobo Glo HD. But, yes, that is exactly what's happening: the sleep cover has stretched (frequent use and I carry it everywhere in a backpack or purse) and it does close at an angle and has to be straightened. Thanks. I'll watch that.
Cedros is offline   Reply With Quote