Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
tashk
Hello, I'd like to know w
tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Paperwhite 2013
Question Public WiFi / Traffic Encrypted?

Hello,

when I connect my K4NT to an open (public) and unencrypted Wifi network in order to download documents that were previously sent to my Kindle email address, will the traffic between Amazon's server and my Kindle be encrypted?

In other words, would it be possible for an adversary to read/access my documents by capturing the unencrypted data packets sent within this Wifi network?

Thank you!
tashk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
An "adversary"? Goodness, how dramatic!

No, it's not encrypted, and you shouldn't send anything sensitive.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
tashk
Hello, I'd like to know w
tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.tashk juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Paperwhite 2013
Harry, thank you for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
An "adversary"? Goodness, how dramatic!
Thanks again; I always try to add drama and suspense wherever I go. For instance, I have spent the last six weeks in my secret lair, capturing and analyzing the Kindle's WiFi traffic.

By now I'm fairly confident that data transferred between Amazon's servers and my Kindle is actually encrypted: When the Kindle downloads a book or document from Amazon, it sends and receives encrypted httpS data packets, as opposed to the unencrypted http packets caused by the Kindle's web browser. In other words, I can use my notebook to see the web pages accessed by the Kindle's browser, yet I cannot see the books sent by Amazon's servers.

However, since I'm relatively new to WiFi traffic analysis, it is quite possible that my interpretation of what I have seen is flawed. Surely someone else, preferably someone less incompetent than myself, must have analyzed the Kindle's WiFi behavior before and be able to confirm or contradict my findings?

Is there any official documentation or statement regarding the Kindle's public WiFi security?
tashk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
encryption, security, ssl, wifi, wlan