Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-11-2023, 02:56 PM   #1
pupdeg
pupdeg began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2016)
Removing margins from recent firmware

With the recent 5.16.2.1.1 jailbreak, I wanted to try out KOreader. Worked very well to get rid of margins, I could have text right up to the edges, but sadly, the renderer has no support for vertical text and doesn't look like it'll ever get it, so it's pretty much useless for most of my use cases.

The stock experience supports vertical formatting no problem, but has awful fat margins on all 4 sides, with top and bottom seemingly mandatory. Looking around I found some info about reducing these on much older hardware like the Kindle 2, but I can't find anything more recent than that. Negative margins through Calibre might help with the sides, but they don't help with all the wasted vertical area. Has anyone found a way to reclaim some of the screen without having to manually edit every book?
pupdeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 05:40 AM   #2
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
There used to be a way to reduce margins on devices using firmware 5.x branch but IIRC since somewhere around 5.10.x that stopped working. The same code is still there (or at least it was there when I last tried doing those JAR edits on firmware 5.13.6 on Kindle PW3) but probably the hardcoded values get overridden someplace else since changing values in that known location doesn't change anything.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1795

I'm not even sure if after editing JAR files on newer Kindle models that are using verified boot ( or whatever it is called) those devices would even boot successfully.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2023, 06:48 AM   #3
pupdeg

My oasis might be able to downgrade far enough back to make that work, it's a pain in the ass finding any info but given it came out in 2016 it can probably run 5.9.X. Ideally it'd be nice to have an option for newer FW though, but I guess most people just use KOreader.
Old 11-12-2023, 07:50 AM   #4
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

First Oasis model?

Old 11-12-2023, 10:45 AM   #5
pupdeg

First model was 8th gen, 9th was the second one. Where do you find those older FWs, searching came up empty.
Advert
Old 11-12-2023, 05:23 PM   #6
shamanNS
Guru

Here is the firmware version number history:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=200203720

As for downloading actual firmware bin files you will need to edit (change version / build number) a link for latest firmware to download the older firmware instead.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW

Last edited by shamanNS; 11-12-2023 at 05:26 PM.