Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-17-2011, 01:50 AM   #1
JaneFancher
Zealot
JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JaneFancher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle2
Kindle page numbers

Got a weird one. Just put my first book up on Kindle and one of my readers says the new page number function doesn't work. She put the file through Calibre to reformat some meta data, and the resultant file does show the page numbers.

I originally made the file that I uploaded to Kindle with MobiPocket Creator and converted to mobi with KindleGen. (Don't ask my why. I use calibre for everything else, but I know how to direct MPC to link the opf file to my TOC so that the kindle Contents tab goes there. I like my one page TOC better than the generated one. Also, I understand KindleGen gives a slightly higher cover image than Mobi or Calibre.

Anyway...just wondering if anyone understands how Kindle is creating these page numbers. Does it need the generated ToC?

As always...thanks!

Last edited by JaneFancher; 03-17-2011 at 01:50 AM. Reason: spelling
JaneFancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:03 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Page numbers are not a function of the file. If you load the file onto your kindle using calibre, calibre automatically generates the page numbers.

Or if you publish your book through Amazon and the user gets the book delivered wirelessly from amazon to their Kindle, then amazon generates the page numbers.

Don't ask me why Amazon came up with this brain dead scheme for page numbers instead of just embedding them in the ebook file itself.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2011, 03:49 AM   #3
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle page numbers are matched to the page numbers of a paper edition of the book, see http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...0505500&#pages

Amazon haven't created page numbers for all Kindle books with paper editions yet. If your book isn't available in a paper edition, you'll definitely not get page numbers. If it is available in a paper edition, you may get page numbers at some point in the future.

Calibre works in a different way - it does a "best guess" of page numbers, and generates them accordingly, so it doesn't depend on a paper edition.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:12 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneFancher View Post
Anyway...just wondering if anyone understands how Kindle is creating these page numbers. Does it need the generated ToC?
Read this thread to see how the page number feature was added to calibre and how it works.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle page numbers, mobi conversion, toc