Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Erase and deregister

Is this fairly easy or are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

I want to give my Nook Color to a relative since I upgraded to a newer model and thought it best to start with a clean slate.

Once I'm done, can I re-register it in her name?

I haven't had the best of luck with B&N support, so counting on the MR community for best advice.

Thanks!
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Erase & Deregister will remove your content and make it ready to register to a new account for her.

It does not reset any device settings you might have set IIRC. So assuming you've registered it to your WiFi for instance it would remember your network unless you delete that separately. The system partition where these settings reside can also be reset, but it's a bit more complex (interrupt Boot eight times and it will do a restore) and for most folks not needed.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Erase & Deregister will remove your content and make it ready to register to a new account for her.

It does not reset any device settings you might have set IIRC. So assuming you've registered it to your WiFi for instance it would remember your network unless you delete that separately. The system partition where these settings reside can also be reset, but it's a bit more complex (interrupt Boot eight times and it will do a restore) and for most folks not needed.
That's not correct, Erase & Deregister effectively returns the device to factory settings - it remembers nothing from the previous user, so any settings (like Wifi, screen timeout, ...) and any data stored on the internal memory are gone.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Thanks! It looks pretty straight-forward, but most of the info I could find online was for resetting rooted Nooks.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
That's not correct, Erase & Deregister effectively returns the device to factory settings - it remembers nothing from the previous user, so any settings (like Wifi, screen timeout, ...) and any data stored on the internal memory are gone.
Okay, if you say so. All I could go by was memory and I did find a few threads on the B&N forums saying exactly what I posted, perhaps it was a glitch for those folks. :shrugs:
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Okay, if you say so. All I could go by was memory and I did find a few threads on the B&N forums saying exactly what I posted, perhaps it was a glitch for those folks. :shrugs:
It's indeed as I specified. After all a "master clear" is that, clearing all data and restoring to factory defaults; I have done that myself a few times on my devices, and it always goes back to factory defaults, as new.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote