Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #526
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourl29 View Post
Does it indeed have a warm white front light, as a poster here said, and as I 've seen in some pictures of it? It would be great to start moving away from the insomnia inducing blue one used by both the kpw and the glo.

I don't mind if it has a yellowish hue, I do mind though if it keeps me up at night as my tablet does via the blue light waves they use. Good reading material should keep us up at night instead, not the colour of the led.
Yes, warm white is a GREAT way to describe the Aura HD light! And the light is evenly distributed across the page - no pinkish blotches like those that have plagued the KPW. I have been disappointed with the KPW light integration. The Aura HD got it right!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #527
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I just compared across Aura vs Glo using the same book and found that the Aura had 4 more physical lines on the page, but 8 more lines worth of content than the Glo with the same font/line spacing/margin settings.
Hm. 8 more lines. (Assuming you mean 8 more Glo-length lines.) If I take my Kindle as an example, assuming the Kobo can display roughly the same amount of text, that would mean 8 x 48 = 384 extra characters. It now displays 29 x 48 = 1392 chars.

The Aura therefore displays 1.2759 times more (27.59% extra) characters than the Glo. This is fairly close to the maximum of 28.44%, which is the extra physical space the Aura has as compared to three Glo.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #528
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
I've noticed that my Aura's battery indicator has been stuck on 100% for the last 72 hours or so. I've done enough on it (wireless update, reading with light on) to have surely drained the battery some. I normally have it set to go into sleep mode, but have tried shutting it down a few times. Still, it's 100%

I remember the Glo having a battery indicator issue when it was new, but it went away on it's own, but never was it stuck on one particular number.

Any ideas?
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #529
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
I've noticed that my Aura's battery indicator has been stuck on 100% for the last 72 hours or so. I've done enough on it (wireless update, reading with light on) to have surely drained the battery some. I normally have it set to go into sleep mode, but have tried shutting it down a few times. Still, it's 100%

I remember the Glo having a battery indicator issue when it was new, but it went away on it's own, but never was it stuck on one particular number.

Any ideas?
I got my Aura Wednesday morning. Today, Saturday afternoon, it is 94%. I read a lot and use the light at 35% when I read.
It was 100% both Thursday and Friday.
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #530
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCowboy View Post
How on Earth did you manage to get one from Smiths? I ordered mine about 30 seconds after they were announced in the UK and mine hasn't even shipped yet. Smiths aren't saying it's out of stock, but they're hardly busting a gut to get them to customers. So much for 'release date 25th April'.
I was told that the 25th was when all the WH Smiths shops with "Kobo Stores" inside would get them. When I realised that my local shops didn't have any, I asked for the nearest ones that would. My choices were Brighton and Guildford, and London, I guess.

Anyway, I hope yours has arrived by now! I am thoroughly enjoying reading on mine. Got the updated Calibre and copied over my whole library this afternoon.
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #531
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by geormes View Post
I got my Aura Wednesday morning. Today, Saturday afternoon, it is 94%. I read a lot and use the light at 35% when I read.
It was 100% both Thursday and Friday.
Maybe the battery really is as good as Kobo claims. If that's the case it's better than what the Glo was giving me.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:45 PM   #532
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
I was told that the 25th was when all the WH Smiths shops with "Kobo Stores" inside would get them. When I realised that my local shops didn't have any, I asked for the nearest ones that would. My choices were Brighton and Guildford, and London, I guess.
I was told that my local WH Smiths wouldn't be stocking it, despite having all the other models. I want to see one before buying, but don't want to have to make a 40 mile round trip to the nearest Kobo Store.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #533
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
That was me. The Kindle doesn't have a blue light. It's quite white, but it looks cold compared to the creamy looking light of the Aura. The Aura has a yellowish light, which is, IMHO, even preferable to perfect white. Still, this is more of a matter of taste than anything.
not just a matter of taste, but health

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsle...s-a-dark-side/

"Study after study has linked working the night shift and exposure to light at night to several types of cancer...

While light of any kind can suppress the secretion of melatonin, blue light does so more powerfully. ...

... compact fluorescent lightbulbs and LED lights ... tend to produce more blue light.

The physics of fluorescent lights can't be changed, but coatings inside the bulbs can be so they produce a warmer, less blue light. LED lights are more efficient than fluorescent lights, but they also produce a fair amount of light in the blue spectrum."

Sounds like the aura has more aggressive coating on the leds, which may be a good thing health wise, not just aestheically.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #534
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I assume that your exposure to the light of your e-reader will not be so prolongued and so extreme that it'll cause you cancer.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #535
Lyn2012
Addict
Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lyn2012 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPhone 8, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
not just a matter of taste, but health

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsle...s-a-dark-side/
The physics of fluorescent lights can't be changed, but coatings inside the bulbs can be so they produce a warmer, less blue light. LED lights are more efficient than fluorescent lights, but they also produce a fair amount of light in the blue spectrum."
Interesting when the full spectrum incandescent daylight bulbs that are supposed to be better for your health are actually blue glass.
Lyn2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:04 PM   #536
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor View Post
I was told that my local WH Smiths wouldn't be stocking it, despite having all the other models. I want to see one before buying, but don't want to have to make a 40 mile round trip to the nearest Kobo Store.
Yeah, I know how you feel. I wanted to see it before buying, in my case sufficiently enough to warrant making a 40 mile round trip... It is annoying that not all the shops will have them in stock.
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #537
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
Maybe the battery really is as good as Kobo claims. If that's the case it's better than what the Glo was giving me.
And much better than the KPW, too!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #538
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I just counted the number of lines and the number of words per line on my screen. At the size I use, I had 29 lines of text and the lines, in general, had 10 or 11 words. I can't do pictures, sorry.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #539
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I just counted the number of lines and the number of words per line on my screen. At the size I use, I had 29 lines of text and the lines, in general, had 10 or 11 words. I can't do pictures, sorry.
Thanks. 10 or 11 words comes down to 50-55 characters/line. Not good enough for me. The KPW already has 29 x 48 with my current settings. You either use a much bigger font or spacing than me, or the Aura indeed is quite inefficient with its screen space.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:35 PM   #540
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Thanks. 10 or 11 words comes down to 50-55 characters/line. Not good enough for me. The KPW already has 29 x 48 with my current settings. You either use a much bigger font or spacing than me, or the Aura indeed is quite inefficient with its screen space.
Unless taming uses a line height smaller then 1.3, it is going to be an inefficient waste of screen space as 1.3 is just too big.

I'm going to put together one more War of the Worlds that has the font size set to a specific size. That way, I can compare the screen shot to my 650 and see how much more text I get on screen in comparison.

The problem is that you cannot compare your PW to taming's Aura as you don't know the settings for the Aura vs your PW. But I'll know with the next version of WOTW and can do a proper compare for you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote