Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-30-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
h1ro
Enthusiast
h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.h1ro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Glo HD
[pw] disabling kindle upgrades

The tricks that change some variables responsible for the minimum percentage of battery in the upgrade script don't really make a difference here.
After experiencing this problem twice I got angry and just put an "exit" in the first line of the script. Still I get updates and I don't know what triggers it.

How can I prevent updates reliably without cutting network access completely? Is there a special update server?

As an alternative I would consider denying all access and then just whitelisting manually all hosts I want to access with the kindle. Then I could replace the "send to kindle" function in my chrome with something that just uses rsync like on all my other computers. But sadly I couldn't find any good way to format things properly for the kindle. The extension still does the best job and it needs the official kindle email sync to work.
h1ro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by h1ro View Post
The tricks that change some variables responsible for the minimum percentage of battery in the upgrade script don't really make a difference here.
Just read that thread fully, from the first post to the last. You'll find full description of OTA update process and the point of minimal changes for disrupting it only without affecting any other processes. While it was tested on Kindle Touch, there is no difference between PW and KT in this aspect. Or you can disprove this statement by your experience after trying it (I'm certainly interested in testimonials).
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Just read that thread fully, from the first post to the last. You'll find full description of OTA update process and the point of minimal changes for disrupting it only without affecting any other processes. While it was tested on Kindle Touch, there is no difference between PW and KT in this aspect. Or you can disprove this statement by your experience after trying it (I'm certainly interested in testimonials).
I did read it (again) today and I did notice something that would probably explain both the comment about error code 003 and the above posted experiences.

As far as I can see (without actual testing) is that the described method only interferes with the in-system updater.

It would not interfere with the other ('auto-pilot') updater in the initramfs.
That updater has its own certificate storage (in the initramfs) which our (MR) certificate addition does not affect.

It is the 'auto-pilot' updater that generates the E003 code when people try to install our packages by re-starting (or re-booting) the Kindle instead of using the home -> menu -> settings -> menu -> update Kindle proceedure.

O.P: Check your notes - see if the downloaded updates where executed on a re-start or re-boot.

I.E: the only way to prevent the forced update is to either prevent the *.bin from showing up on /mnt/us or detecting it and moving/re-moving it early in the shut-down sequence.

Last edited by knc1; 01-30-2013 at 03:59 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
As far as I can see (without actual testing) is that the described method only interferes with the in-system updater.

It would not interfere with the other ('auto-pilot') updater in the initramfs.
That updater has its own certificate storage (in the initramfs) which our (MR) certificate addition does not affect.
Yep, really, if PW update was downloaded OTA but neither applied, nor removed (which is true for method used by OP: with upstart script modification), it will be nevertheless applied on reboot (after long power button press or selecting Reboot menu item).

(While in other method, mentioned in my post, update bundle isn't downloaded at all.)
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote