Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-06-2008, 07:27 AM   #1
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Two free mysteries at Amazon

The first two books in Julia Spencer-Fleming's cozy mystery series starring Clare Ferguson (a priest assigned to St. Alban's Episcopal Church in upstate NY) are available for free at Amazon. The fourth book in the series is only $6.99, but for some reason, they don't appear to have the third available in the Kindle store. Go figure! But, you don't want to miss out on the freebies.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&sear...pencer-Fleming
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Thanks so much for the link. I've read all the books in the series, so far, and was disappointed that they weren't available for Kindle - I wanted to catch-up before the new book was released.

Great find!
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
How do you learn about such things? Is there a mailing list, or did you just happen upon the info? (Going now to check out these books.)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:56 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
The first two books in Julia Spencer-Fleming's cozy mystery series starring Clare Ferguson (a priest assigned to St. Alban's Episcopal Church in upstate NY) are available for free at Amazon.
Bought, the price was right. Thanks for the info!

I assume Clare is female... Episcopalians allow female priests, right?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
They do.. my girlfriend is planning to be one.

Of course... me being Jewish complicates things. :Grins:

Thanks for the heads up... will check it out!
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:52 PM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
How do you learn about such things? Is there a mailing list, or did you just happen upon the info? (Going now to check out these books.)
It was serendipity. I saw this post about a book for free from the Sony store. So, I went over to Amazon and searched the Kindle store for all books by this author. Saw that these two had excellent prices & bought them right away.

Why did I think one or more might be free at Amazon? Because a month ago, they offered a book for free that Tor was giving away. The trick is, if you hear about a free book anywhere else, check @ Amazon to see if they're playing along.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:27 PM   #7
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Thanks for the heads up, Elsi!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:21 PM   #8
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Anyone else have problems with the formatting of the second of these books? The font is different, or at least bolder, the normal spacing between the lines is gone, and page turning is slowwwww.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:21 PM   #9
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

The dreaded Topaz strikes again!!!!

Has anyone seen Topaz/tpz/azw1 on any books other than the St. Martin's? I've only seen it on a couple of books, and they've all been St. Martin's. Just my taste in books, I guess.

Where's igorsk when you need him?
Old 06-08-2008, 11:17 PM   #10
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
They do.. my girlfriend is planning to be one.

Of course... me being Jewish complicates things. :Grins:
It makes life interesting. I knew a couple, where she was an Orthodox Catholic priest, and he was a reform rabbi. They teamed up a lot on interfaith marriages and counseling, and what one didn't know, the other generally did. He's dead now, alas -- he succumbed to a sudden massive heart attack, after suffering a minor one, getting treatment, and making the lifestyle changes involved in preventing a recurrence. It was a huge shock to all who knew him.

She's really a Roman Catholic at heart, and would switch affiliations in a heartbeat if the RC church changed it's stance on ordaining women, but I don't see that happening.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:23 AM   #11
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

Bad news, Jim. I downloaded the samples of the other two books (3 and 4 in the series) and they were azw1 (topaz), too. On the good news side, though, I would have sworn that book 3 wasn't there yesterday.

I find that I normally read at size 2, sometimes switching to 3 later in the evening. With Topaz formatted books, I find the redraw time at size 2 to be unacceptable, but size 3 isn't terribly bad, just a little slower, so I read most Topaz books at 3.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:46 AM   #12
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
[QUOTE=tlrowley;196119]Bad news, Jim. I downloaded the samples of the other two books (3 and 4 in the series) and they were azw1 (topaz), too. On the good news side, though, I would have sworn that book 3 wasn't there yesterday.

Damn. Doesn't make sense to me that you have an electronic device that supports a rapid redraw speed only to have it defeated by the formatting the publisher uses. I will send off email to Amazon complaining, and will also try to find address for St. Martins.

4-5 seconds to redraw every page is not acceptable and I also note that it really drains the battery. My library has the books so will use that resource for the other books in the series.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:22 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
PDF versions of the books are available for download by filling out a form at the following link:

https://app.e2ma.net/app/view:Join/signupId:38474

I've asked Amazon to delete the Kindle versions from my Media Library and refund the money for the book I purchased that is part of the series.

Edit: I received an email confirmation that I was joining their mailing list but they have not yet provided a download link. I'll post it when I receive it, if I can, so no one else has to sign up for their list.

Edit2: Here ya go.

A Fountain Filled With Blood

In the Bleak Midwinter

Last edited by daffy4u; 06-09-2008 at 08:42 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:08 PM   #14
Elsi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
Bad news, Jim. I downloaded the samples of the other two books (3 and 4 in the series) and they were azw1 (topaz), too. On the good news side, though, I would have sworn that book 3 wasn't there yesterday.
Book 3 definitely wasn't available at Amazon on Friday when I posted the first message. If I like the first two, I'm glad that the rest of the series is available for the Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
I find that I normally read at size 2, sometimes switching to 3 later in the evening. With Topaz formatted books, I find the redraw time at size 2 to be unacceptable, but size 3 isn't terribly bad, just a little slower, so I read most Topaz books at 3.
I normally read at size 2 if there is adequate light. In low-light conditions, I move up to size 3. I played around with the second book (A Fountain Filled with Blood) for a little while. At font size 2, turning the page wasn't terribly slow ... just slower than with the built-in font. At font size 3, it's hardly noticeable that the page turn is slower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
4-5 seconds to redraw every page is not acceptable and I also note that it really drains the battery. My library has the books so will use that resource for the other books in the series.
I'll have to pay attention to the battery load.

One would hope that a software update could improve the font management -- perhaps by caching the font in the Kindle's memory -- to make the page turns take place even faster. If Kindle owners will give Amazon and the publishers (and even the author if you can reach him or her) feedback when a book displays poorly, eventually someone should start paying attention.

There are a lot of people who are employed in book design, and a well designed book is a pleasure to read. Some books just won't work well if the medium limits the font choices or forces use of page images instead of a flowable format. Take a look at what Feedbooks has done with their ePub template (http://blog.feedbooks.com/?p=57 ). It's attractive. It's appealing. Publishers who are turning their nose up at eBooks might be more interested if they had more control over the presentation.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #15
tlrowley
Quilt Geek

Although I agree that the pages are re-drawing slower with Topaz, I think that part of the problem is the changing rhythm - the slightly slower pages are interrupting my flow, and I haven't adjusted to it yet. You know how you instinctively learn when to press the next page button - that changes with the slower re-draw.

I'm glad you see the same differences in 2 vs. 3. It helps to know that I'm not imagining things.

This series is one of my favorites and I'll be buying the new one, regardless. I'm just not boycott material .