Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-27-2010, 03:30 AM   #1
oddeyed
hi there!
oddeyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3rd Generation - 3G + Wifi - Graphite
Post Limitations of Global Wireless

So, I know that the Kindle with Global Wireless gets free Wikipedia access in the UK. But I can't seem to find out what (if anything) else it can do.

So, have any Kindle owners in the UK have success with either:
  • Feedbooks Newspapers
  • Feedbooks 'Kindle Download Guide'
?

I also was wondering if there is a way using software hacks or something to get the basic web browser on a UK Kindle.
oddeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:43 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Amazon book store and Wikipedia are all you get.

Please don't attempt to hack it. Remember that 3G data traffic costs Amazon real money. If you start using your Kindle for "unauthorised" web access, the almost inevitable result is going to be that you get "cut off".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
oddeyed
hi there!

Damn it.

Can we lobby amazon or something? Cos that seriously sucks. I mean, I was that close to buying a Kindle but they ruined it.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Believe me, you're not going to want to use a Kindle for extensive internet access - eInk screens just aren't suitable for it.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:20 AM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Go with an iPad...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Believe me, you're not going to want to use a Kindle for extensive internet access - eInk screens just aren't suitable for it.
I disagree. I find the eink screen on my DX to be quite nice for reading news, blogs, essays, and articles that I find on the web. It's also good for checking emails. While I don't think extended internet access ought to be free, I don't see why they couldn't charge you an access fee for more extensive access. Downloading rss feeds or mobi files from feed books or Mobileread shouldn't cost that much.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Amazon book store and Wikipedia are all you get.

Please don't attempt to hack it. Remember that 3G data traffic costs Amazon real money. If you start using your Kindle for "unauthorised" web access, the almost inevitable result is going to be that you get "cut off".
NOt if they don't find out, and hack is good
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
TMark
TMark began at the beginning.

Device: none
That kind of short term thinking will have you running around in circles.
TMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
oddeyed
hi there!

yvanleterrible - Nope, I defo need e-ink.

It's not so much the big web surfing that I want, it's the feedbook applications that I am more interested in.

It seems pointless for amazon to block them to me. It's hardly any traffic at all, I'd happily pay the tuppence for the 3G usage.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:27 PM   #10
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
Well the other thing to think about this is how many devices honestly have internet access built in?

I think much of this might have to deal with some of the economic and political concerns in some other countries.

I've been to China and the internet there is odd to say the least. Sometimes sites work..sometimes they don't work. Sometimes they work in some places and time and other times they don't. There's no list of banned sites etc.

I highly doubt that after making one international version that amazon would tolerate a country asking to put filters on a kindle. With that being the case the exclusion of the internet was the easiest thing to do..

Besides wikipedia is pretty huge these days when you think about it.

Web browsing on the kindle is OK but it's more of an added bonus for me, not the primary drive.
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:14 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

What happened to you, Phillip?
Old 03-02-2010, 02:09 PM   #12
forkyfork
Zealot
forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.forkyfork once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: It's a long story ;)
So just to clarify, if I buy a Kindle in the US and use it in the US, there are no restrictions. But if I travel abroad, there are? That kinda bites, since I was planning on traveling abroad for quite some time..
forkyfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #13
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
You will be using a network that Amazon has to pay for additionally. so you willl have to pay for additionally too....
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:59 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkyfork View Post
So just to clarify, if I buy a Kindle in the US and use it in the US, there are no restrictions. But if I travel abroad, there are? That kinda bites, since I was planning on traveling abroad for quite some time..
Remember that 3G data traffic costs "real money", and data roaming charges tend to be very high. In Europe, data roaming on 3G generally costs something of the order of $5 per MB (yes, per MB).
Old 03-05-2010, 04:08 AM   #15
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I'm very happy with my Kindle, and often pay my $2 for the convenience of their service...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote