Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
Alan Woodhouse
Alan Woodhouse began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Question Unable to load additional books onto Kobo from Calibre

When I attempt to load books onto my Kobo I receive the following error message:

calibre, version 0.7.47 ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>Name Error?</b>:global name 'time' is not defined

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\init.py", line 250, in dispatch File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 1214, in books_uploaded File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 383, in add_books_to_metadata File "<string>", line 372, in add_books_to_metadata File "<string>", line 683, in init

Name Error?: global name 'time' is not defined

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Calibre 3 times. As per the other recommendation from Calibre I have searched for calibre.exe and device.pyo on my system and neither were found.

The problem is still occuring.

Help!

Thanks
Alan
Alan Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Assuming you're on Windows, if your search can't find calibre.exe, you're either searching wrong or there's no way on earth Calibre is even able to run. If you're not on Windows, it's no surprise the calibre.exe can't be found...
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
Alan Woodhouse

Unable to load additional books onto Kobo

Hi
Sorry I wasn't clear. I am using a HP laptop with Win 7 Pro. I deleted the program (Claibre) and then I searched for calibre.exe and device.pyo after I deleted the program as per a suggestion from Calibre. I didn't find either file. I reinstalled Calibre again and the problem still exists.
Suggestions?

Thanks
Alan
Old 03-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

If you uninstalled the program, of course you wouldn't find the files. Which "other recommendations" and "suggestions" are you even talking about?
Old 03-04-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
Alan Woodhouse

Ok let's start from the beginning. When I tried to install additional books on my Kobo I received the following message:

calibre, version 0.7.47 ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>Name Error?</b>:global name 'time' is not defined

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\init.py", line 250, in dispatch File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 1214, in books_uploaded File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 383, in add_books_to_metadata File "<string>", line 372, in add_books_to_metadata File "<string>", line 683, in init

Name Error?: global name 'time' is not defined

I sent in a ticket to Calibre and was advised to uninstall Calibre and reinstall.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Calibre 3 times. When that didn't work I was advised to uninstall Calibre again and then search my computer for any remaining Calibre files such as calibre.exe and device.pyo.
I searched my system neither were found.
I reinstalled Claibre and tried to load books onto Kobo again but the same error message came up and the books wouldn't load.
When I contacted Calibre again I was advised to submit the problem to this group.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to correct this problem?
Thanks
Alan
Advert
Old 03-04-2011, 04:20 PM   #6
Manichean
Wizard

Having a link to the ticket would be nice.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
Alan Woodhouse

Ok here are the links:
http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/9170
http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/9267#comment:1

Thanks
Alan
Old 03-04-2011, 04:40 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The problem is that the traceback makes no sense.

The line "File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 383, in add_books_to_metadata" refers to real code in 0.7.47, where the device driver is called. However, the line "File "<string>", line 372, in add_books_to_metadata" refers to nothing, and the line number makes no sense for the kobo driver. First, the <string> indication means that what is running is *not* part of calibre,. Second, that line number is not inside add_books_to_metadata, and the file name of <string> indicates that something bizarre is happening.

Have you installed a different driver, perhaps as a plugin? Have you installed calibre source? Have you put a driver in calibre's installation folder? You have clearly done *something*.

In any event, it is clear that you are not running a standard calibre release. Why that might be is a mystery, and one that we cannot solve. Only you know what the history of your installation is.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:54 AM   #9
Alan Woodhouse

Hi
I have completely reset my Kobo and deleted Calibre and reinstalled numerous times on my HP Laptop running Win 7 - 64 bit and the problem still remains. I have no idea where it is coming from. Earlier this year I had a problem that was fixed by resetting my Kobo. Before I was able to fix the problem I was advised from the Calibre website to add the following Kobo plugin to help with identifying the problem (kobo-plugin.py)

Is it possible that his plugin is causing the problem? I thought it would have been removed when I reset my Kobo and reinstalled Calibre.

Thanks
Alan
Old 03-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Reinstalling wont remove the plugin, you should manually delete it via preferences->plugins
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #11
Alan Woodhouse

Thanks Kovid
It looks like removing the plugin solved the problem
thanks again
Alan