Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
gfd
gfd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Xperia Z Tablet
Angry Tablet Reader

Greetings
I have just purchased a Sony Xperia Z tablet. I want to use it for reading amongst other things. The issue is a lack of a good reading app. I convert PDF files to epub as it seems to scale better on my tablet.

I have aldiko, moon reader and fbreader on my machine. I have tried numerous others, but they don't show images. The three mentioned above, show images as well as text, but each has its quirks.

I have ezPDF, and the new reflow option is great for text, but doesn't show images.

I use PDFMate to convert to epub. The program is set to extract images as well as text.

The concern with the readers mentioned above, is that the images are disjointed from the describing text. Perhaps it is a function of conversion. So....after all this:

-is there a PDF app that reflow text and images correctly?
-is conversion to epub the issue?
-is there an epub reader that can render text and images better than than the ones above?

What would be great, would be an app that converted to epub and then read the file.

Any, and all, help will be most appreciated.
gfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfd View Post
The concern with the readers mentioned above, is that the images are disjointed from the describing text. Perhaps it is a function of conversion.
Unfortunately, this. PDF is designed for fixed layout pages. It really doesn't work well for reflowable pages.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I've used Mantano to read a couple of PDF's if you click the view tab at the bottom of the screen you can select a reflow mode only trouble is one PDF could work brilliantly and almost seem like an epub and another could be a bit of a disjointed mess.

PDf just isn't a good format for anything but printing, Mantano is the best I've seen so far at dealing with them though.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:30 AM   #4
gfd

Thank you both for your replies. I can convert all of my pdf files to epub. What is the best program/procedure to maintain the same layout? As I mentioned above, I have a couple of epub readers now. What is the best epub reader? I don't need all the bells and whistles. Looking for good performance and book like feel.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 07-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfd View Post
Thank you both for your replies. I can convert all of my pdf files to epub. What is the best program/procedure to maintain the same layout? As I mentioned above, I have a couple of epub readers now. What is the best epub reader? I don't need all the bells and whistles. Looking for good performance and book like feel.

Thanks again for your help!
For book-like feel, the best one I've found was CoolReader. I like FBreader better though, because CoolReader crashed with some large books that FBReader handled perfectly.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
It usually is very, very difficult to convert pdf to anything else, and get good results. Instead use a good pdf viewer/reader that allows you to adjust margins, zoom and/or reflow if possible. I use Mantano Premium. It also works great with epub.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
If you simply want to read the text - if you're not interested in the images - there are tools available that will extract the text from a PDF and store it in a new text file, which is usually easy to read on a tablet.

One that I've used with some success is http://www.extractpdf.com/.

However, these tools are very hit-and-miss. The quality of the results depends on how the text is laid out, especially in relation to images and other objects. It works OK if the document contains a single flow of text. But in the worst cases, the resulting text might be completely jumbled and garbaged.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
gfd

Thank you all for your help. I agree that the pdf conversion kind of sucks. Looks like the epub conversion gets confused with images and the text that describes the image.

I have tried Montano free version and I wasn't impressed. Does the premium version do a better job of rendering the media?

Old 07-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Well, I don't think there is much difference in the rendering between the free and the premium version. Mostly differences in customization and other features. That said, I have never had any problems or surprises regarding rendering with either pdf or epub. It just is as it is supposed to be. And I like the ability to automatically zoom in and hide the margins for pdfs. It often makes full page viewing possible, without panning. And the reflow is helpful as well, when layout isn't important.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:54 PM   #10
gfd

I went with the premium version of Mantano. I would like to thank you all again for setting me straight on these issues and I wish you a great day!