Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #46
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Something else I discovered with the pdocs/cover problem. I sent a few mobis, via email, to my pdocs while the same books were already on the regular bookshelf. Surprise - the pdoc covers appeared normally under Documents and on the carousel.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #47
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Something else I discovered with the pdocs/cover problem. I sent a few mobis, via email, to my pdocs while the same books were already on the regular bookshelf. Surprise - the pdoc covers appeared normally under Documents and on the carousel.
Were these sideloaded books or Amazon books?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #48
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Were these sideloaded books or Amazon books?
All were side-loaded that had been converted from epub.

Side note: I did not check but assume the cover dimensions were within the max that will display as a pdoc.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #49
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
All were side-loaded that had been converted from epub.

Side note: I did not check but assume the cover dimensions were within the max that will display as a pdoc.
Thanks off to try it!
Old 04-14-2012, 11:05 PM   #50
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
It seems to only work one way. You must sideload the book first and then add it as a pdoc second for the cover to show up on the carousel. If you try to sideload the book of a pdoc you still have a white cover.
Advert
Old 04-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #51
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Why not just buy Amazon eBooks? Also, how come so many eBooks? I read 2 eBooks at one time and it takes me a couple of months to finish one.

I leave almost all my eBooks in the Cloud at Amazon and just store a few current ones on the Fire.

Amazon's prices for eBooks beat almost every other source. Why even bother with other sources?

The Department of Justice is suing 5 publishers and Apple for inflating eBook prices. Amazon is the only outlet which DEFLATES eBook prices. Amazon even posts a note on the eBook page if the publisher inflated the price.

Finally, with Amazon Prime one can borrow lots of eBooks at NO cost.

Last edited by sirmaru; 04-15-2012 at 09:04 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #52
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"Why not just buy Amazon eBooks? Also, how come so many eBooks? I read 2 eBooks at one time and it takes me a couple of months to finish one.

I leave almost all my eBooks in the Cloud at Amazon and just store a few current ones on the Fire.

Amazon's prices for eBooks beat almost every other source. Why even bother with other sources?"

Well to be fair some people are more prolific readers than others
I have read Eight novels since Dec when My KF arrived and many of us also read alot of other lengthy personal docs.

I personally am not having any of the problems described in this thread
as I use a third Party Epub reader and have not even seen the ugly Stock book shelf launcher in months
but I hope the other people get their problems sorted about soon.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #53
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Price comparisons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
I have read Eight novels since Dec when My KF arrived and many of us also read alot of other lengthy personal docs.
Have you compared prices of those 8 ePub novels with Amazon's prices? I used to always compare prices between Amazon, Sony and Barnes&Noble. Amazon always came in lowest and I stopped comparing prices now for a year.

Those pDocs seem like eBooks as well the way folks are referring to them. I have a hunch they overpaid a lot compared to the same eBooks on Amazon.

If price is really a factor, one can just borrow without any additional cost from the Amazon Lending Library if one has Amazon Prime which also offers free 2 day shipping on all other Amazon products for one year.

I certainly have no idea why folks would pay higher prices from non-Amazon sources and then convert them with Calibre to an Amazon format or use other eReader Apps to read them on the Fire.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:32 AM   #54
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
You guys could also take advantage of things like Book Lending: http://booklending.com/
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #55
sirmaru
Wizard

Amazon users can lend to each other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
You guys could also take advantage of things like Book Lending: http://booklending.com/
Amazon users can lend PURCHASED eBooks to each other as well. The borrower can keep the eBook for 3 weeks.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #56
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It seems to only work one way. You must sideload the book first and then add it as a pdoc second for the cover to show up on the carousel. If you try to sideload the book of a pdoc you still have a white cover.
Well, yes, that is why I emphasized my statement in bold, "books that are already on the bookshelf...." Obviously, an existing thumbnail (book) is recognized by the addition of the pdoc version.

Last edited by Skydog; 04-15-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #57
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Have you compared prices of those 8 ePub novels with Amazon's prices? I used to always compare prices between Amazon, Sony and Barnes&Noble. Amazon always came in lowest and I stopped comparing prices now for a year.

Those pDocs seem like eBooks as well the way folks are referring to them. I have a hunch they overpaid a lot compared to the same eBooks on Amazon.

If price is really a factor, one can just borrow without any additional cost from the Amazon Lending Library if one has Amazon Prime which also offers free 2 day shipping on all other Amazon products for one year.

I certainly have no idea why folks would pay higher prices from non-Amazon sources and then convert them with Calibre to an Amazon format or use other eReader Apps to read them on the Fire.
Some prefer indie publishers, sites with a specific genre, etc., where they sell books in multiple formats with NO DRM and at the same price, possibly less. Many have been loyal customers for years and continue to support their favorite publishers/retailer(s).
Old 04-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #58
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:

Pdoc = personal document - it is not puchased and it is not some special format. These are your own personal documents added for viewing. There are various formats that one can upload. The only difference with a book is the method of delivery - sending to the Fire's email address results in the book appearing as a personal document under the Documents tab or side-load to appear on the bookshelf under the Books tab.

Detailed information here (scroll two-thirds down the page):

Sending Personal Documents to the Kindle Fire
Old 04-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #59
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Why not just buy Amazon eBooks? Also, how come so many eBooks? I read 2 eBooks at one time and it takes me a couple of months to finish one.

Amazon's prices for eBooks beat almost every other source. Why even bother with other sources?
I do buy some books from Amazon but even they need work in Calibre. My books must have indentations, a blank line after each paragraph, marked chapter headers and a working TOC and Kindle navigation. Font tags and embedded fonts have to be removed as well to work on the Kindle correctly. It drives me nuts when publisher add font size tags to a Kindle book.

I've read 43 books so far this year with a goal of a 100 books for the year but I think I will probably pass it. Last year I read 61 books but I was still playing sims now I read full time. I also read up to three books at a time.

I will always shop where the books are the cheapest. I am on a tight budget I can afford not to be frugal so Fictionwise gets most of my business with their wonderful coupons specially for Harlequin. Kobo use to get more of my time but they started charging me state and county tax on all purchases. Still if they are cheaper than the other places with coupon I will still buy from them. Books on Board is usually cheaper than Amazon so I shop there when I have a purchase over $5 and I get reward dollars back. Then their is Smashwords and well... you get the idea.

I need pdocs to work correctly. I own 3 Kindles and they need to stay in sync with each other so I can pick up where I left off and get my bookmarks and notes.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #60
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Well, yes, that is why I emphasized my statement in bold, "books that are already on the bookshelf...." Obviously, an existing thumbnail (book) is recognized by the addition of the pdoc version.
It's a little more work but it may keep from having to clear data so much. Last night I had to do it 3 times as my covers went white again during a normal sync!