Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-18-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
First Time User - ePub Customization?

Just got my PocketBook 360 and updated the firmware, but now I'm a little lost. On the pre-loaded FB2 books, there's a menu option called "Settings" where I can set the margins and text size. However, all my books are in epub and when I pull those up on the device, the "Settings" option is replaced with the "Contents" which takes me to the table of contents navigator.

I really want to be able to set text size and margin size on my epubs in the same way that the device lets you do so for the FB2 files. Can this be done? Thanks!
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Yes, you can read epub's just like you read FB2 files. But only if they have no DRM. Once you've "liberated" your files, just open them with FBReader, and you will have the exact same options.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Just got my PocketBook 360 and updated the firmware, but now I'm a little lost. On the pre-loaded FB2 books, there's a menu option called "Settings" where I can set the margins and text size. However, all my books are in epub and when I pull those up on the device, the "Settings" option is replaced with the "Contents" which takes me to the table of contents navigator.

I really want to be able to set text size and margin size on my epubs in the same way that the device lets you do so for the FB2 files. Can this be done? Thanks!
This is because there are several different applications that can be used to read books on PB360.
FB2 file is opened by FBReader.
epub is opened by an epubreader by default. But you can also open an epub file by FBReader, if it isn't DRM protected.

Simply go to the library, put cursor on an epub book, press *and hold* an OK button and from menu select "open with" and select FBReader.

There are several third-party versions of FBReader that have even more configuration options than the default FBReader.
There is also Coolreader that you can install to read epub files and it has yet another set of unique features.

see:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67149
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65865
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=124867
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69185
and other threads in this subforum.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, I see that now - long press, open with --> FBReader. Thank you.

I think there's a way to set FBReader as the default reader?

EDIT: Thanks so much for the links - I'll check those out right now. (This is why I love MobileRead and all its fantastic members!)
Old 04-18-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Quote:
OK, I see that now - long press, open with --> FBReader. Thank you.

I think there's a way to set FBReader as the default reader?

EDIT: Thanks so much for the links - I'll check those out right now. (This is why I love MobileRead and all its fantastic members!)
For that you have to create a file called "extensions.cfg" in /system/config ,to tell your reader which program to use for the different files.
I uploaded one version for you, but it might not work, because I have a new model, but ther are plenty versions for the 360 around here, and at least you should get an idea how it works.
Caution: if you start messing around with this file all is case sensitive, and if nothing is working anymore just delete it and no harm done.
Attached Files
File Type: rar extensions.rar (368 Bytes, 122 views)
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

OK, looks like I got the default stuff sorted out, thank you. I am really glad that I was linked to the FBReader180 thread because that seems like a really good reader, however I'm disappointed that I can't seem to get the "page turning from tilting the device" aspect to work.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...59#post1498959
Old 04-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
It takes practice but it does work.
Also, if you don't need separate customizations for separate ebooks the hacked ADE will let you customize the display of DRM'ed ebooks. And keep an eye on the evolution of coolreader for PB, its not fully baked but it is already useful and geting better.
Have fun!
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #8
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

The "hacked" ADE?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #9
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The "hacked" ADE?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84033

You can put a userstyle.css that overrides the default settings of DRM'ed ebooks.
At a minimum, you can set the base font face and margins. If you know a bit of css coding you can get fancy. It's not trivially easy like fbreader or coolreader but its not hard.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:26 AM   #10
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
Sounds like a good idea for a 'helper' app that will give you an interface to choose those options and code them into userstyle.css !
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:50 AM   #11
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Is this userstyle.css a file that you just put in once, like the extensions.cfg? Does anyone have a sample file that I could see/modify?
Old 04-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #12
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Is this userstyle.css a file that you just put in once, like the extensions.cfg? Does anyone have a sample file that I could see/modify?
Hi annardoll, I am also "studying" to get ready for when I'll put my greedy hands on my new PB360 - as far as I understand, it is just an issue of following this "tutorial" by jackie_w, while if you want to become more adventurous you can use the links put by fjtorres foru posts down in that same thread. The "userstyle.css" file jackie_w is referring to can be still downloaded here.

And do not forget to download the Themes from the sticky!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:22 PM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Yes, it is a plain text file you place in the main memory of the 360.
I could upload mine but all I did was tweak jackiew's sample to set the default font to Georgia and force margins. Since css files are human-readable, that kind of mod is just a matter of substituting short text strings.