Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #1
terraskye
Groupie
terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.terraskye knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Mine:Kindle 3(wifi)Sony PRS-300(died)His: Sony Prs-300
One Week Later

And its fitting a bit that this is all post #100 for me too.

I've had my 650 now for exactly a week and I must say that I'm still very happy that I returned my Kobo to purchase it too. I will be returning my Kobo2 when it arrives as I feel that I wouldn't even use it.

I love the screen clarity and what ghosting I do notice doesn't bother me in the least. I suffer from migraines and have had no eye strain or been trigged to getting sick from the page turn flash either.

I don't use the dictionary often but its nice to know its there especially when I'm reading a Simon Green book (with unfamiliar English words)

Downloading books to the reader is effortless oh and yea I like that i can delete from my reader w/out having to hook it up to my laptop like I do when i want to delete music off my itouch.

I read for three hours straight last night and it was awesome I've read a total of 3 book on it too in the last week. Wonderful!

I think for a first ereader its been perfect for me.

I'll probably still order a Kindle 3 for the ability to order books from amazon.com but not until December and only if I feel that it would beneficial in having more access to more ebooks lol
terraskye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:52 AM   #2
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
I've also just bought a 650 and I'm loving it as much as you are !

I was slightly disappointed with the touch screen, I still need to press down pretty hard on the screen when I want to open a book. But I guess that's because I'm used to an iPhone touchscreen. The other day I thought my GPS was broken because I couldn't input an adress. Then I figured out I wasn't pressing down hard enough

I don't use the touchscreen for page turning, reading seems much smoother when you just use the button to turn the page.

I've used the dictionary a couple of times now, and I really like this feature. It's a really fast way to look up a word without interupting the reading flow too much.

Quote:
I've read a total of 3 book on it too in the last week.
I can only dream about reading 3 books a week. I count myself lucky if I can finish one book every week.

Thinks ... Maybe I should work less ... Or just stop reading those big fat books

Quote:
I'll probably still order a Kindle 3 for the ability to order books from amazon.com but not until December and only if I feel that it would beneficial in having more access to more ebooks
I'll be ordering another reader as well at the end of this year. Not really because I think I need another reader, but because I'm such a gadget freak
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 06:05 AM   #3
k.rad
k.rad began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridal View Post
I've also just bought a 650 and I'm loving it as much as you are !

I was slightly disappointed with the touch screen, I still need to press down pretty hard on the screen when I want to open a book. But I guess that's because I'm used to an iPhone touchscreen.
You shouldn't need to press hard -- in fact you can actually open a book/link without even touching the screen at all if your finger is very close to the screen, but not quite touching it. I think the main reason for poor or no response is that it will only respond to one finger on the screen at a time, with nothing blocking the IR sensors either.

Quote:
I don't use the touchscreen for page turning, reading seems much smoother when you just use the button to turn the page.
I often use the buttons, but I also like to swipe. It depends on how I'm holding the device. It's nice that both options are always there.
k.rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:00 AM   #4
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
yeah, I don't have to push on my 350 screen, just the lightest touch works it perfectly, in fact, softer than the iphone even.....
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:00 AM   #5
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.rad View Post
I think the main reason for poor or no response is that it will only respond to one finger on the screen at a time, with nothing blocking the IR sensors either.
I use one finger, so that can't be the problem ... I just opened some books on my reader as a test, and the screen seems more responsive than it was at first. I haven't used my reader this last week because I'm reading a paper book my mom lent me.

At first I had to press down on the screen, and now a light tap does the trick. Pretty weird But it's still not as responsive as my beloved iPhone

The first day I got my 650 my cat (4,7 kg) decided to walk and sit on my reader, he put his big paws right on top of my screen. Maybe that had something to do with it
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #6
k.rad
k.rad began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridal View Post
But it's still not as responsive as my beloved iPhone
Yeah, yeah. Why don't you just go and read a nice long book on your beloved iphone then

The new Sony touchscreens are pretty responsive and fast, though the rest of the hardware doesn't always quite keep up and respond in kind, unfortunately. For an example, try typing something out as fast as you can on the onscreen keyboard and then watch the screen as it catches up.

I don't think cat butts are recommended as a stylus either.
k.rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:32 AM   #7
Iridal
Mysteriarch

Quote:
Yeah, yeah. Why don't you just go and read a nice long book on your beloved iphone then
Nah, the screen is too small. I would need an iPhone with a bigger screen for that. Hmmm ... Wait ... Oh yeah, I should get an iPad

Quote:
I don't think cat butts are recommended as a stylus either.

Especially not if the cat's butt covers the whole screen.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
cmdahler
Addict
cmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notescmdahler can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
You shouldn't need to press hard -- in fact you can actually open a book/link without even touching the screen at all if your finger is very close to the screen, but not quite touching it. I think the main reason for poor or no response is that it will only respond to one finger on the screen at a time, with nothing blocking the IR sensors either.
In my line of work, we use a touch screen similar to the new Sony's design: IR sensors in an array around the screen. It's always a funny joke with people new to the device to take a little piece of paper and wad it up into a tiny little ball, no bigger than a BB, and just set it in the corner of the screen. It blocks the IR sensors in that upper corner, but in the dark you can't see the little bit of paper, and even in daylight, to someone who doesn't know how the thing works, it just looks like a little piece of debris and you don't even notice it. But putting that little piece of paper there and blocking those upper sensors renders the entire screen useless. The new guy will poke and poke at the screen and will finally say, "This damn thing must be locked up." Someone else says, "Really? Let me see..." and quickly scoots the little bit of paper out of the way so the screen works fine. "Hmm, works fine for me, I don't know what the problem was." Then he scoots the little bit of paper back to the corner and the new guy still can't get the screen to work. Silly little prank, but it does illustrate with these new readers from Sony that if you let any dirt or other debris get caught in the corners of the device and block any of the IR sensors, the entire screen will act like it's locked up.
cmdahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #9
Iridal
Mysteriarch

That's a mean little prank ... I love it

So maybe that's what happened with my reader. Now that I think of it, I did clean the touchscreen when I finished my book ...

Thanks for the insight cmdahler !
Old 10-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #10
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
cmdahler, great info and even funnier prank, love it......

Iridal.....mmmm maybe your cat left some 'debris' on your screen then, oh yuck !
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote