Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-01-2010, 06:29 AM   #31
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
If it's of any reassurance, initially I also thought I might have a dud battery. But then I read that the device spends a lot of hidden processing time indexing any new books you have loaded (more than 24 hours for 500 books in my case!) and this can absolutely chew up your battery -- so that it seems initially to have a very restricted capacity.

But you may find if this is the case, that it will even up after the next charge. You can check whether your Kindle is still busy indexing by typing '.' at the Home screen and hitting Enter (the main five-way button).

Also bear in mind that most batteries do not reach their optimum until three full charges -- after which it's slowly downhill all the way.....
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:40 AM   #32
Doug Huffman
Banned
Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.

Location: Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
Device: KINDLE 3 WiFi
I'll briefly review the assertions of battery university above; the KINDLE battery has a time limited life of 3 to 5 years from manufacture, it has a cycle life of 300 - 500 cycles (from full charge to fully discharged), it does not have a memory, the gauge needs an occasional full discharge to calibrate.

How the KINDLE uses the battery is up to its engineers.
Doug Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2010, 12:55 PM   #33
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencek View Post
If it's of any reassurance, initially I also thought I might have a dud battery. But then I read that the device spends a lot of hidden processing time indexing any new books you have loaded (more than 24 hours for 500 books in my case!) and this can absolutely chew up your battery -- so that it seems initially to have a very restricted capacity.

But you may find if this is the case, that it will even up after the next charge. You can check whether your Kindle is still busy indexing by typing '.' at the Home screen and hitting Enter (the main five-way button).

Also bear in mind that most batteries do not reach their optimum until three full charges -- after which it's slowly downhill all the way.....
Thanks for reply.

At the beginning, I uploaded about 40 or 50 books, most of them PDF. I did check your advice about Indexing and no, got no errors or something, it just says did not find the searched text or entry, with makes sense. So, would be a good idea to wait and see what happen?

I am not so worry about the warranty, I did not buy the Amazon one but paid with my AMEX ... their purchase protection plan rocks! I've had zero issues so far with AMEX, they even give me my money back if stolen or broken, which is not the case here but wanted to mention. But of course, if there is some kind of battery issue I would like to catch it soon and keep enjoying the reading, besides I do have a scheduled vacation in 3 weeks and would like to bring my Kindle DXG with me.

Last edited by jocampo; 12-01-2010 at 12:57 PM.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:59 PM   #34
blacklavender
blacklavender began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by terencek View Post

Hi guys,
What good does this indexing process do to the Kindle? Should I stop it? If so, what do I have to do to stop it? I've just transferred about 500 books on my kindle and it does seem to be eating up my battery...
Many thanks!
blacklavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:56 PM   #35
ezy_ryder88
ezy_ryder88 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I just transferred about 800 books on to the replacement Kindle 3 I got yesterday and the battery life went down from full to half in a few hours. A bit more drastic then my original Kindle 3, but seems to be because I put all 800 books on at once this time.

Can anyone clarify how indexing works? Does it index while in sleep mode? I noticed it still hasn't indexed 244 items yet.
ezy_ryder88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #36
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklavender View Post
Hi guys,
What good does this indexing process do to the Kindle? Should I stop it? If so, what do I have to do to stop it? I've just transferred about 500 books on my kindle and it does seem to be eating up my battery...
Many thanks!
Indexing is the process to create some internal pointers or references on digital information. It later allows the software or user, search or find stuff inside your ebook (or databases, when talking about Oracle or SQL)

In your case, when uploading ebooks, Kindle needs to Index those so you can later find and search words and strings. If you upload a lot of them, the process will take longer. You don't have to do anything, is transparent for you. The drawback is that this process will consume battery power so your battery life won't be the same.

You can alleviate that minor issue connecting your Kindle before going bed and leave it like that. You can also upload by batches, like 50 books instead of 100 or more.

Some people experience this battery issue when uploading lot of books, others not or just not so noticeable. I would not worry too much about it and continue using your Kindle.

Hope that helps!
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #37
Carlosc647
Carlosc647 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Battery woes...

I sent back my first Kindle 3 because it wouldn't hold a charge past a day or two. My replacement Kindle is better, but so far the best charge length I've gotten is about 7 days. I attained this by reading less than two hours a day and making sure I only used the WiFi for a few seconds every morning to download the newspaper. The rest of the day I leave the WiFi off. I've managed to drain the battery twice and recharge the unit for about 10 hours each time. This yields the results I've described so far. Calling Amazon didn't do much good. A polite woman basically told me I wasn't using the device right. She suggested I continue to recharge the unit everyday until the problem went away. I'm just curious if this is a common situation. Can anyone share any thoughts?
Carlosc647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:09 AM   #38
y.snaky
y.snaky began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi+3G)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosc647 View Post
I sent back my first Kindle 3 because it wouldn't hold a charge past a day or two. My replacement Kindle is better, but so far the best charge length I've gotten is about 7 days. I attained this by reading less than two hours a day and making sure I only used the WiFi for a few seconds every morning to download the newspaper. The rest of the day I leave the WiFi off. I've managed to drain the battery twice and recharge the unit for about 10 hours each time. This yields the results I've described so far. Calling Amazon didn't do much good. A polite woman basically told me I wasn't using the device right. She suggested I continue to recharge the unit everyday until the problem went away. I'm just curious if this is a common situation. Can anyone share any thoughts?
I have the similar situation. 2 days - with Wireless On and 2 weeks - with Wireless Off. Not so good as others people describe...
Will try to experiment with recharging, rebooting etc...

There one thing I worrying about. The Kindle interface does not support multitasking. But in fact, the device is running Linux operating system, which is multitasking. For example, if you run the browser, there is no way to close it. When you click 'Home' you will still have your browser running in the background. The only way to close the browser is to rebot your Kindle.

Maybe this is the case for those who are experiencing low battery perfomance... I'll try to check this.
y.snaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #39
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by y.snaky View Post
There one thing I worrying about. The Kindle interface does not support multitasking. But in fact, the device is running Linux operating system, which is multitasking. For example, if you run the browser, there is no way to close it. When you click 'Home' you will still have your browser running in the background. The only way to close the browser is to rebot your Kindle.
I'm not sure why this should matter. If you turn wireless (or wireless/3G) off, the webpage is still loaded in memory, but there is no additional drain or attempt to refresh the page as far as I can see. It's a little like opening any of your e-books and having it open to the last page you've read... I think.
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #40
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
Re: Multitasking

I think everybody thinks multi-tasking equates with significant resource use, but with Linux that is not the case (this isn't Windows). Linux is about efficient Resource use, so it doesn't close apps when it is done until another app needs the resources used (if that makes sense).

With the browser, once a page is loaded, resources are no longer needed. The web page can stay loaded without using additional resources, yet by keeping it loaded, it doesn't have to reload the resources when and if you go back to it. It's almost as if the app has gone into sleep mode.

It's efficient. Android does the same thing. It takes more resources (thus battery use) to close and open apps rather than keep them going.

I think we are just all so used to having to close things for Windows because Windows doesn't work on efficient use of memory and resources as Linux (including Kindle or Android) does.

In other words, Linux based OS's don't believe in letting memory sit unused but rather uses it all initially assuming what will need the memory most. As more memory is needed, Linux releases it if the app hasn't already used it. It works quite well and is partially the reason Linux works so well for computers and networking.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote