Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
kjboland
kjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Mini
Calibre epub not transfered

Having been frustrated with Kobo's inability to change font size (despite this being a key point it pushes), I have tried most of the solutions: eg using Validate in Sigil and then epubfix and manually checking the page_style.css.

I have one book which will not show on the Kobo. Calibre seems to transfer it, but it has a size of 0.0 MB. When I look at the device in Calibre it seems to be readable, but when the Kobo is ejected, it does not show on the menu. I have tried copying it using file manger, to no effect.

I have reconverted the epub using calibre, but that does not seem to help.

DOes the 0.0MB indicate something is wrong ? What can I do to be able to see the file on the Kobo.

(not at all impressed with Kobo, given all the hype about font sizes, something that constantly hangs is a disgrace. Seeling that posts go back to 2010, how can kobo continue to sell product which does not do what they say it will do. As a newcomer to ebooks, I thought that issues should have been ironed out. I was wondering about the glo, but have been put off Kobo by this petty problem,
kjboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If the epub is copied to the device and then not added to the devices library, there is a problem with the epub. Viewing it in the calibre viewer is not a good test as it is fairly forgiving for errors in the epub. But it is unusual for an epub that has gone through a calibre conversion to be a problem.

A few questions to see what is going on:

- As you are using calibre to put it on the device, have you checked that the file has been copied to the device? Make sure it is actually on the drive of the device.

- When you disconnect the device, does it show the processing screen?

- When you reconnect the device, is the epub still on it? I'm expecting that it will have been deleted by the processing.

You can check the epub with EpubCheck or by opening it in Sigil. Both will show errors in the structure of the epub. Otherwise, if you can post it, someone can have a look at it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 03:51 AM   #3
kjboland
kjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura aboutkjboland has a spectacular aura about

ANSWERS

Thank you for the reply: here are some answers:- As you are using calibre to put it on the device, have you checked that the file has been copied to the device? Make sure it is actually on the drive of the device.

Yes. Using File Maanger I can see it.

- When you disconnect the device, does it show the processing screen?
No, but it comes and says you can disconnect device.

- When you reconnect the device, is the epub still on it? I'm expecting that it will have been deleted by the processing.
In file manager yes, but not in Calibre Device Window.

I get no problem found in validating with Sigil. I attach epub.

Thanks for looking at this
Attached Files
File Type: epub Faith and Practice - KJ Boland.epub (176.4 KB, 264 views)
Old 10-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
I tested this on my Kobo Touch. There are no problems transferring it with Calibre and it reads correctly on the KT.

Hopefully, someone who has a Mini will test it out.
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
It worked when I dragged and dropped it onto the device. It also worked when I right-clicked on the title and chose "Send to Device". So I ended up with 2 copies which open up ok to read.
PS I used Calibre to do it. Version .0.9.3, clicked on "Device" on the Calibre Toolbar and it shows up as my latest book on the main memory of the device. It did take a bit of time though, didn't show up at first, took about 2 minutes or so. I then looked for the book on the Mini once I had ejected it; it was there.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 10-26-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 12:10 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As with the others, I didn't have any problems putting the book onto my Touch.

When it was loaded I had a look at the font change. I did have a problem with changing the font. But, it was a known issue. Firstly, the font would change OK. But, if I made few changes without leaving the book, my Touch would hang. This is known to happen, but it happens a lot quicker with this book than with any other I have tried.

Also, the margins don't change because the left and right margins are set in the book. To get rid of them, in calibre go to "Page setup" in the conversion options and set the margins to "No margins". You can do this per book, or in the preferences for all future conversions. If you set the defaults to this, the Modify ePub plugin will remove the margins without a conversion.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:26 AM   #7
kjboland

sqlite ??

Hello all, and thanks for taking the time to look at the file.

THis would seem to indicate it is the Kobo, and looking at some other threads I see there could be an issue with the sqlite file. I downloaded the sqlite expert, which does not show an error, but I can't see what to then.

Is there a way to force a reset of this file? I did try the sqlite download and then the command prompt stuff, to no avail.

Also, I was interested in the question about when ejecting, does it say processing. AS it doesn't what can I do.

Any suggestions for a better clean up of the reader?

(I did load the pristine sqlite file, which shows all the free books, but none that I then transfered using Calibre (I am now on .9.4)

THanks again for your time and help.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjboland View Post
Hello all, and thanks for taking the time to look at the file.

THis would seem to indicate it is the Kobo, and looking at some other threads I see there could be an issue with the sqlite file. I downloaded the sqlite expert, which does not show an error, but I can't see what to then.
My feeling from what you are saying is that you database and SQL knowledge is not high. If that is the case, there isn't much you can do. If I had it in front of me I might be able to find something going on in it, but I'm not sure
Quote:
Is there a way to force a reset of this file? I did try the sqlite download and then the command prompt stuff, to no avail.

Also, I was interested in the question about when ejecting, does it say processing. AS it doesn't what can I do.
When you put a book on the device and unplug it, it should go through all the new books and add the to the database. While this is happening a black screen is displayed with a processing message. Under this is a percentage complete. Have you seen this at all? Have you managed to get any books into the devices library? Is the book that you posted the only one that you have put on and hasn't gone into the library?

If the answer to these questions is no, then I maybe one of the other books might be the problem. When the Kobo devices process books, if they find a bad book, they don't process any more after that. If that book stays on the device, the book will stop the processing every time it is seen. What I would do is:

- Connect the device to the PC
- Go into the drive for the device and delete all the non-Kobo books.
- Disconnect and let it start up.
- Do a power off and restart. This should clean-up the database of the books you just deleted.
- Connect to the PC and add the book you posted to the device. Don't use calibre, just copy it to the root directory and eject the device.

Does the processing screen show up? Does the book get listed?
Quote:
Any suggestions for a better clean up of the reader?

(I did load the pristine sqlite file, which shows all the free books, but none that I then transfered using Calibre (I am now on .9.4)
If the above doesn't help, I would suggest a factory reset. Then use the Kobo desktop application to install the latest firmware and finish he setup. Afterwards, put the book on it and see what happens.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
kjboland

NOW Different

After this I did another factory reset after deleting (after copy) of the sql file. After that did the Kobo firmware upgrade.

Next using Calibre I transferred the trouble file as the first one in. THis worked fine and showed. When I reconnected the device and tried to copy more files they do not show. Now the only one I can see (after a number of copies) is the trouble one.

IS the device at fault, or is it me??

thanks again
Old 10-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #10
kjboland

Final understanding

Thanks to you all.

Rereading David's suggestion that it may be another book causing the issue: this would fall in line with my last experience. I have LEARNT to install one at a time and then Eject and check it out. Painful.

Is this a Kobo issue. I am thinking of the GLo. I love the Kobo reading experience once I can get to read it: is it worth going with it.

Thanks again for your help and time,
Old 10-27-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Would be better if Kobo Readers would show error message. Remove Book XXX it can't finish loading and will corrupt files.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:19 AM   #12
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is it a Kobo issue? This only happens with "certain" sideloaded books and I've had it happen with my Sony as well...
Old 10-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #13
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Yes Sony T1 has problems loading some books that have to be removed to make reader operational again.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #14
kjboland

Hi filmo. Fully agree. I needed to spend a huge amount of time, and start from scratch, to find which ebook was causing the problem

If, as stated here the Kobo (does something in the background) to check out files, and then finds one and all others are not read-in, why can it not have an error report which shows what has happened.

Given the huge issues with the Kobo and epubs, and having to take out style sheet information for it to be able to change font sizes, I can not say I would believe Kobo could come up with the goods.

Sadly Far Eastern producers do believe in quality and product testing. I am still amazed that Kobo has issues today, for which one can look at threads started in October 2010 - two years ago!!! I say sadly as the basic reading is great, (but I am new to ebooks), frustrated by long hangs when trying to change fonts. This was the reason I got into trouble with Epubs, in trying to make them work on the Kobo; I suppose I will need to learn by trial and error what it is about certain epubs that cause them not to work on Kobo.

AS a final point - I went for Kobo as I did not want to be tied to any particular supplier of books (eg Kindle). JUst a same the quality is so poor.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
Cdesja5
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjboland View Post
Hi filmo. Fully agree. I needed to spend a huge amount of time, and start from scratch, to find which ebook was causing the problem

If, as stated here the Kobo (does something in the background) to check out files, and then finds one and all others are not read-in, why can it not have an error report which shows what has happened.

Given the huge issues with the Kobo and epubs, and having to take out style sheet information for it to be able to change font sizes, I can not say I would believe Kobo could come up with the goods.
Kobo is no different than Sony in this... Sideloaded books can have all sorts of formatting issues that have nothing to do with the reader itself. In my experience you generally won't find this type of problem with kepubs or other books purchased from reputable ebook stores.

Tags
0 file size, calibre, epub, kobo mini