Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-13-2008, 03:43 AM   #1
Pengo
Pengo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Calibre won't convert without outside connection?

Hello,

New here and thinking about purchasing an eink device. Naturally, I wanted to try converting a few ebooks with calibre to lrf to get an idea of how they would work and look on a Sony device.

I noticed with v0.4.95 (not sure about prior versions) calibre will not
convert a book unless allowed through firewall to a remote connection. It will hang - the hourglass will keep turning forever. This is with allowing it to 'connect' to port 127.0.0.1 on calibre startup and upon initializing a conversion (calibre.exe and calibre-parallel.exe).

If I do allow calibre.exe to connect to my gateway/router IP in addition to 127.0.0.1, it'll convert quickly and with no problem.

Upon verifying this several times, I ran Wireshark to see what it was
connecting to when 'let out'. It connects to 82.94.237.219 which when checked with ARIN and Ripe Network resolves to Python Software Foundation.

A search on these forums and the faq on the calibre site didn't seem to have information on this (or I missed it).

Is this normal behaviour?

Thanks for your time and excellent software.
Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 04:15 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
127.0.0.1 is localhost
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2008, 04:35 AM   #3
Pengo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
127.0.0.1 is localhost
Yes, i am finding calibre.exe connects to localhost upon startup, and calibre-parallel.exe does as well when beginning a conversion.

However, calibre.exe also attempts to connect to my router's IP 192.xxx.xxx.xxx(dns) (then goes to 82.94.237.219) upon starting, and, if denied, when i try to convert an ebook (allowing calibre-parallel.exe to connect to localhost), it will hang.

Sorry if I am missing something. Could it be because i don't have dns addresses forwarded to the pc? It is handled by router (dns addy's same addy as default gateway).

Last edited by Pengo; 10-13-2008 at 04:43 AM. Reason: add dns handled by router info
Old 10-13-2008, 04:51 AM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I expect it's checking for the latest version to see if it's up-to-date - Maybe try disabling that in the configuration & see if that makes a difference? I doubt Kovid meant for conversions to block if the network access failed, but if you really want to be 100% sure, the source is available - I'm sure he'd appreciate a patch! :-)
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:11 AM   #5
Pengo

Heh, I am far from a programmer or a network administrator. If the tone of my posts appeared in any way ungrateful, I assure you this is not the case. I wouldn't know what to do with a source and the only patches I could provide have nothing to do with software (maybe sheet metal ).
This was just something I noticed and was wondering if this was 'normal'/supposed to be happening or if it was something I've done (or not done) in the configuration of calibre or network settings.
I'm sure it's nothing to be concerned about either way, but if anyone can confirm this also occurs for them and is 'normal' and intended, then I'll know i haven't messed anything up.
Thanks,
Advert
Old 10-13-2008, 09:59 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengo View Post
Sorry if I am missing something. Could it be because i don't have dns addresses forwarded to the pc? It is handled by router (dns addy's same addy as default gateway).
Turn off "Show notification if a new version exists" in the config dialog and see if that stops happening.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:45 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It does go online to check for new versions. But that should most definitely not prevent conversions from happening. Conversions will fail if it cant connect to localhost as conversions are run ina separate process that talks to the parent process using TCP/IP sockets.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote