Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-04-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
WordCountess
WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Best Toddler/ Young Children Books

I am a mother of 5 kids; ages 2, 3, 5, 8, and 10. Another one is on the way But I'm looking for suggestions for children's books- specifically kids 5 and under. We love Beatrix Potter, Dr. Suess, Shel Silverstien, and Marc Brown. Who are a few other great children's authors worth reading? Or what are some recommendations for 'toddler age' books that you've found to be a big hit with your kids?
WordCountess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
One book I really like, but it's quite a sad one, is "Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch.
Usually, children around me like the "Gaspard and Lisa" series by Anne Gutman. They also like books which include a CD, like "The Animal Boogie"
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Eric Carle and Maurice Sendak. We love Chicken Soup with Rice and Alligators All Around.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I love the Oliver Jeffers books especially How to Catch a Star, Lost & Found, and The Incredible Book Eating Boy.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Mo Willems' books are very funny.

I love Elisa Kleven's multimedia artwork, and this one has a wonderful story too (not available in ebook, though!):

http://www.amazon.com/Ernst-Elisa-Kl...keywords=ernst

Also take a look at Elsa Beskow, whose books are classic and charming.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Not exactly an author, but a style of book for toddlers that went over well with my daughter was the ones that replace a word in each sentence with a small picture. Example would be a series of Scooby-doo books where it would read like: "Scooby saw a [picture of a sandwich] on the table." At an early age, the kids love to be able to add their two cents in and can call out the item as your finger gets to it while tracing the words. Also, as they progress, they pick up on actual printed words in the books.

For early readers, I would suggest the Junie B. Jones series by Barbara Park. As a good starter set for K to 3rd, they also seemed to keep a sentimental value for my daughter who had a hard time passing them along to younger cousins even after she stopped reading them routinely.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
My kids enjoy The Magic Treehouse series by Mary Pope Osborne. They are chapter books but are written so that even my 4 year old enjoys listening to them. (We've been listening to the audiobooks in the car.)

We also enjoy books by Jan Brett -- Gingerbread Baby and The Mitten are the ones we've read the most.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
thersites
Enthusiast
thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thersites ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad & PocketBook 360
For the 2 younger, try Lynley Dodd's Harry Maclarey and Slinky Malinki stories. They're silly with great word play and nice drawings. There are occasional rhyme issues due to differences in her New Zealand English from American English (e.g., paw rhyming with door), but these only crop up in a couple places out of about 8 books. Our kids' favorites vary over time, but I'd recommend "Harry Maclary and Zachary Quack" and "Slinky Malinky" as good starters.

James Harriot's children's collection is great (selections from his numerous books about himself as a country vet appropriate for children).

Jan Brett's stories are nicely done & well illustrated. We get her Christmas collection out every year during that season, and our older pulls it out at other times of the year for us to read.

Cheers,
Dave
thersites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
WordCountess
WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

for all of the awesome suggestions! I love the Magic Treehouse Books- and my kiddies do too. The idea of the Scooby Doo books with the pictures seems lovely! I will certainly look into those. In fact I will look into all of the books listed. Thank you guys!
WordCountess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have three books by Michael Yu that my 5-year old son likes: The Dragon Egg, A Dragon's Quest and Playtime With Monster.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I liked "The pokey little Puppy" when I was a little kid and "The Three Billy Goats Gruff." Not sure who the authors are. Uncle Wiggily by Howard R. Garis is also good. Several of the Uncle Wiggily books are now out on Kindle for only a few dollars too.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #12
steven522
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I liked "The pokey little Puppy" when I was a little kid and "The Three Billy Goats Gruff." Not sure who the authors are.
These would probably have been the Little Golden Books series, not sure who or if the author was credited to be. These would be another excellent set for smaller children if you can find the more durable hard cover versions.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #13
steven522

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordCountess View Post
The idea of the Scooby Doo books with the pictures seems lovely! I will certainly look into those.
Go to Amazon and search for Scooby Doo Picture Clue and you should see a selection. You can then browse the book and see how the layout is for word/picture replacement.

We found ours in local bookstores about... oh, man, was it actually 12 years ago... getting old... anyway, I'm not sure if they are still on shelves or not. They are a Scholastic series, so who knows.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #14
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
We have some of those Scooby Doo books and I'm sure we got them from the Scholastic flyers. My kids and I don't care for them -- half the time the kids didn't know what the pictures were supposed to represent and they found it more frustrating to have to remember that between readings than to learn the names and words. We have a couple of other books that do that too, although I can't recall what those characters are offhand.

When we shop for books, if I open it up and it has those pictures for words, the kids will put it back because they don't like them. Your mileage may vary.

The kids love Scooby Doo so we have other early reader books that have been read frequently. Any Early Reader book with recognizable characters is fun for them.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #15
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
Not exactly an author, but a style of book for toddlers that went over well with my daughter was the ones that replace a word in each sentence with a small picture.
The word you're looking for is ``rebus''.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote