Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-15-2022, 06:18 AM   #1
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Saved Searches in toolbars & menus, including favourites

May we have saved searches on Favourites Menu? (please, please...)
:P
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 07:47 AM   #2
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
You can make an action chain to show the saved search (I believe selection modifier should work) and then add that to the menu.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2022, 08:02 AM   #3
Comfy.n
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
You can make an action chain to show the saved search (I believe selection modifier should work) and then add that to the menu.
wheeeeeeeeeeeee

that did it, thanks!

Old 09-15-2022, 09:22 AM   #4
Comfy.n

Quote:
I have generated a FM clone dedicated to display saved searches from Action Chains.
File is attached in case someone wants to use it.

(edit: now I have icons for searches matching my rules for emblems in cover grid)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MWSnap0601 2022-09-16, 05_51_28.png
Views:	122
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	196574  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Searches Menu.zip (38.9 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by Comfy.n; 09-16-2022 at 04:59 AM.
Old 10-16-2022, 06:54 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
It might make more sense to have Saved Searches as an item that can be added to any toolbar/menu (which FM would inherit), like the Virtual Libraries and Manage Categories.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2022, 07:29 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
It might make more sense to have Saved Searches as an item that can be added to any toolbar/menu (which FM would inherit), like the Virtual Libraries and Manage Categories.

BR
Like this?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Clipboard01.png
Views:	81
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	197230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard03.png
Views:	87
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	197231  
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 05:58 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Like this?
Not quite, the Add, Get and Manage actions appear to be missing.

It seemed to me that Comfy's request that SS be accessible via this plugin would be best satisfied by making SS a regular toolbar/menu item.

However, I don't use Saved Searches. For searches I want permanently I create VLs, and any short term needs are usually in search history. Pssst - any chance search history could be stored on a per library basis rather than globally

In the interest of de-cluttering. If SS is made available as a toolbar/menu item perhaps there should be an option in Preferences->Searching to hide the button, ditto the VL button, ditto the FTS button.

Which leaves us with Advanced Search, which I do use - so I would quite that to be available on toolbars and menus on a similar basis.

BR
Old 10-17-2022, 06:23 PM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Not quite, the Add, Get and Manage actions appear to be missing.
Those aren't in comfy.n's image. He seems to be proposing a list of existing saved searches. Not their names, but the search expressions.
Quote:
It seemed to me that Comfy's request that SS be accessible via this plugin would be best satisfied by making SS a regular toolbar/menu item.
I thought that is what I showed. I don't see the need to add Manage etc operations to that menu.
Quote:
Which leaves us with Advanced Search, which I do use - so I would quite that to be available on toolbars and menus on a similar basis.

BR
I think I am getting into "No good deed left unpunished" territory/

An action to display a menu of saved searches (named Saved Searches) is now in calibre source. It can be added to the toolbar, the menu bar, or the book context menu, etc. It can be given a keyboard shortcut. Favourites sees it so it can be added to the Favourites menu. This is something I will use so I had the incentive to go this far.

Last edited by chaley; 10-17-2022 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Added shortcut possiblity.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 06:40 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Moved from Favourites Menu PI thread

BR
Old 10-17-2022, 08:17 PM   #10
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I tested it. I very much like seeing hierarchical searches being subfoldered, considering that it's kind of a nonstandard use.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-17-2022 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 08:18 PM   #11
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post

An action to display a menu of saved searches (named Saved Searches) is now in calibre source. It can be added to the toolbar, the menu bar, or the book context menu, etc. It can be given a keyboard shortcut. Favourites sees it so it can be added to the Favourites menu. This is something I will use so I had the incentive to go this far.

Is it a plugin or a chain action???
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 08:26 PM   #12
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunhill View Post
Is it a plugin or a chain action???
Built-in toolbar option. You'll need to run from source or wait for the next update.

EDIT: Here's a screenshit:

Name:	2022-10-17 21_27_35-calibre.png
Views:	126
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	197240

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-17-2022 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-17-2022, 08:41 PM   #13
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Built-in toolbar option. You'll need to run from source or wait for the next update.

EDIT: Here's a screenshit:

Attachment 197240
Great we wait for Friday!!
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 08:45 PM   #14
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Unless another surprise bug appears I think the next update is the 28th.
Old 10-17-2022, 08:58 PM   #15
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I do think it might make sense to copy the three options from the search bar menu (add, manage, get expression) here. Maybe for slightly selfish reasons; personally I try to avoid the menu because the damned thing fills up a third of the screen (no exaggeration; see attached screenshot).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2022-10-17 21_58_05-.png
Views:	150
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	197241