Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-07-2014, 08:27 PM   #136
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Free from RosettaBooks:

The Scandalous Marriage (The Dukes and Desires Series, Vol. 7) M. C. Beaton

http://www.amazon.com/Scandalous-Mar...dp/B00CMAS7WO/
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:45 PM   #137
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
But sometimes when reviews complain about how horrible and mean a heroine is, I want to click BUY right away because I'm so sick of heroines that are ... so meh.
I know I'm late to this conversation, but I'm on this side of the fence.

I drop and delete a book if the heroine/main female character is an obvious doormat. I don't mind if she's sweet and gentle, real women can be either of these things without being weak and completely lacking in willpower. Sadly, the mousy type that's incapable of saying no to anyone in her life in case it hurts her feelings, has been way too common in the free books I've been reading lately... last night this obnoxious character type showed up in two books in a row, and that irritated me so much that my dog picked up on my quiet fuming and slunk out of the room.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #138
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
I was just scanning over the thread and noticed the posts about calibre and drop box. I have drop box on my computer. So if I create an account I can access calibre and add all my books to my drop box account directly?

Thanks for the suggestion for ebooks sites too.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:07 AM   #139
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Syncing incrementally to Dropbox is a good idea. Auto-sync is a bit scary for me though. I prefer control, esp since I have limited bandwidth on the weekends (country house). Does anyone use a separate sync-program? If so, which one?
Thanks!

Never mind: Only have 3.5 GB on Dropbox and Calibre Libraries are over 5 GB (over 6000 books)! I backup the databases to an external drive a few times a week though.

I've put tons of time into designing and populating my Calibre databases, after reading the comments on this thread, and now have reset and reloaded my Kindles based on db (toReads). Really helps focus reading and keeping track. I sometimes wonder if I should have limited the db to "really good-known authors-paid" books and not included everything, but I am a hoarder by nature. Never know when you might need....

Last edited by rgeorg; 02-08-2014 at 03:21 AM.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:33 AM   #140
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I have a lot of libraries. My main library, which goes to my ereaders/tables/phones, is automatically synced with dropbox, another libraries are at places not synced.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2014, 05:05 AM   #141
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
Syncing incrementally to Dropbox is a good idea. Auto-sync is a bit scary for me though. I prefer control, esp since I have limited bandwidth on the weekends (country house). Does anyone use a separate sync-program? If so, which one?
Thanks!
I use manual sync program myself. I like total control but most Sync programs are like greek to me and I don't trust them not screw up with all the settings. So I use the little sync add on that comes with File Menu Tools for years and I trust it. It works perfectly and is so simple to use as you can see in the screen shot that's all there is too it. You just right click on the source folder and then choose Synchronize and this little window pops up. it remember the settings most of the time but there is option to save it as a profile if you want.

It then searches the the two folders and pops up a tree list window. Icons in green are new items to be added, items in red are to be deleted. It's that simple. I've never had it screw up, it works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sync.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	118843  

Last edited by Blossom; 02-08-2014 at 05:08 AM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:41 PM   #142
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am not sure where to get this sync add-on. Is it the SyncToy addon from Microsoft? It isn't in my win 8.1 laptop.

OK - I downloaded SyncToy from MS (free) and it seems to work almost as you described. Just has to be started as a program rather than accessible from File Tools.
Easy to setup though.

Trying to get windows software from Copy.com (15 or maybe 20 GB free storage) but PC flags it as malicious software???

I could just use SyncToy with my external hard drive, would be much faster than copying the entire DBs over each time for backups. I'll have to try and set that up later. Cloud storage would be useful for remote access, if I can get that working.

Meanwhile I want to improve my searching skills on Calibre and see how to set up Virtual Libraries. This is really fun!
Old 02-08-2014, 12:46 PM   #143
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
I use SyncToy and back up to an external hard drive, a flash drive, a laptop and (secritly) hubby's hard drive (the last two are done over the network).

Overkill much? Nah.

I want to *know* where my files are, not in a Cloud somewhere, but that's just me.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #144
rgeorg
Guru

I backup to 2T WD disk I bought about a year ago, 3x a week. And I have an older disk that I update once a month just for safety.

I am still considering cloud storage. I'll probably test with just 1 DB.
The SyncToy should be very useful to cut down the time for the backups, although I'll also do "full" backups regularly.

Last edited by rgeorg; 02-10-2014 at 02:25 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #145
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
I am not sure where to get this sync add-on. Is it the SyncToy addon from Microsoft? It isn't in my win 8.1 laptop.

OK - I downloaded SyncToy from MS (free) and it seems to work almost as you described. Just has to be started as a program rather than accessible from File Tools.
Easy to setup though.

Trying to get windows software from Copy.com (15 or maybe 20 GB free storage) but PC flags it as malicious software???

I could just use SyncToy with my external hard drive, would be much faster than copying the entire DBs over each time for backups. I'll have to try and set that up later. Cloud storage would be useful for remote access, if I can get that working.

Meanwhile I want to improve my searching skills on Calibre and see how to set up Virtual Libraries. This is really fun!
No it's a free program called File Menu Tools it has lots of nice adds on like Move To, Copy To, Pack to Folder and Synchronize. I've been using it for years. You can pick and choose which add on to enabled and they go on the right click menu. I love this program.

Last edited by Blossom; 02-08-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #146
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
No it's a free program called File Menu Tools it has lots of nice adds on like Move To, Copy To, Pack to Folder and Synchronize. I've been using it for years. You can pick and choose which add on to enabled and they go on the right click menu. I love this program.
A new toy
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #147
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
@Amazon:

A Field of Poppies
Sharon Sala

Two families. One secret.
Separated by a river and twenty years of lies.

Five minutes changed Poppy Sadler’s life forever. Tick. The hospital called. Her mother’s battle with cancer was finally over. Tock. The police showed up at her door. Her father’s body has just been pulled from the River. Tick. Murdered.
Tick, Tock. Five minutes and a secret is coming undone.

Across the river, Justin Caulfield’s vast fortune can buy him anything but more time. Tick. A deadly disease is stealing his daughter’s life. He needs a miracle. Tock. The person he never doubted names the price he never knew he owed. A price more than one man can pay. Tick. Betrayed. Tick, Tock. Twenty years of lies may cost him his very soul.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #148
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Free @ Amazon

The London Belle by Shirley Kennedy
This book is a Regency historical romance originally published by Signet in 1999.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:39 PM   #149
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Well, a deal that I think a lot of you will enjoy as IIRC military romance is a hit with you?!

$.99 The Titan Series: Military Romance Box Set: (3 novels + 2 novellas) by Cristin Harber

All books rated over 4 at GR.
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:57 PM   #150
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2u View Post
Well, a deal that I think a lot of you will enjoy as IIRC military romance is a hit with you?!

$.99 The Titan Series: Military Romance Box Set: (3 novels + 2 novellas) by Cristin Harber

All books rated over 4 at GR.
Nice! I've already gotten 1 & 2 and of course I haven't read them yet but might as well get the rest for this price. Couponable at Kobo
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote