Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-09-2015, 10:43 AM   #226
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
the 7" screen on the prs-950 is very noticeably different from the 6" screen. this format looks a lot more like a paperback novel than the 6" screen. i've had a 950 for a while but have given it up for a model with a built-in light.
Yeah, those awful new style paperback books. They are awful to hold. The 950 should have also been made wider.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:44 AM   #227
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
I wouldn't give up my T1 for a light. I have plenty of lamps to read by. :-)
Might consider a 950 for a second unit. I was considering a T2 though.
Don't got for a 950. It's too old and there's no easily replaceable battery for it. So you could end up with a 950 that has poor battery life.
Old 06-10-2015, 02:31 PM   #228
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've found the 950 to be an odd size. I like the size of the H2O much better. I get more text on screen of an H2O then I ever could on a 950. The 950 is too narrow. The 950 is too tall as well. This is the problem with the iPhone 5 series as well.
the reason why the 950 is so tall is that when viewing pdf docs, you could see a third of the doc when the 950 is flipped to landscape view. this isn't a design flaw. it was intended. before the 950 there were almost no alternative for pdf viewing without the image being reduced to the size of the screen (in portrait viewing mode).
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:01 PM   #229
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've found the 950 to be an odd size. I like the size of the H2O much better. I get more text on screen of an H2O then I ever could on a 950. The 950 is too narrow. The 950 is too tall as well. This is the problem with the iPhone 5 series as well.
Well, it's definitely a matter of preference. I've used the 950 for years and been very happy with the size. But, I'm also happy with the size and weight of my iPad mini for reading (larger screen, fairly lightweight). I got my H2O and I think I am going to keep the Voyage instead (I know this is blasphemy to some!) as the H2O simply is not love at first sight the way it was with the 950 and simply not as polished feeling as the Voyage. It is a nice device, however, and I DO prefer the warmer backlighting rather than the bluish tint of my Voyage.. my boyfriend even commented that the screen looked clearer than the Voyage (though I pointed out that actually the Voyage has a higher resolution and therefore theoretically better screen..). It's just that comparing the two devices, I feel like the Voyage got to a final phase and can easily be used near water in a ziploc (since it has page turn buttons) whereas the H2O feels like an intermediate product (to me). The next Kobo may be the perfect Kobo for me but I don't think the H2O is it. It is also noticeably heavier than the Voyage, which may be laughable to some but holding both, I prefer the feel of the Voyage (at the cost of screen size, admittedly, but something about the H2O just didn't draw me in. Maybe if I got rid of the header and footer and took advantage of the screen space.. but in default configurations it's a bit disappointing).

So, for this round's replacement for my treasured PRS-950, I may end up going with Kindle, which I have resisted for years. I prefer ePub (for philosophical reasons really) but there is something to be said about the convenience of having my books auto-delivered at the lowest price on the internet, and Kindle Unlimited, etc. I *still* want a bigger screen than the Voyage, though.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:04 PM   #230
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Lowest price... Google books tends to price match Amazon most of the time.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:20 AM   #231
Shamil
Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shamil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
I use my Sony Reader PRS-T2 every day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	liseuse-sony.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	278.2 KB
ID:	140212  
Shamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:55 AM   #232
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
My local Good Guys shop is clearing Sony T3 case they had a few lighted black and red cases if anyone wants me to pick a spare up for them let me know, the covers are $9Aud Pm me with a location and I'll calculate postage
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 01:08 PM   #233
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
melmac
I am sending you a Pm with my location
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:55 PM   #234
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
Bought a PRS-T1 a few months back on eBay. Really liked it but thought the contrast was a bit low.

I was looking to get a T2 or T3, the latter is more expensive and difficult to find in the U.S.

I noticed the newest models don't have many changes, but they lack mp3 playback. So instead I bought a bundle on eBay that had a new in box T1, a new Sony lighted cover and a second used T1 for $50.

The screen contrast is significantly better on these two than my original purchase which is now in a drawer as a spare. I gave the brand new gear to my dad and I'm enjoying the new-used one even more than my original.

I figure I haven't paid more than $30 for any of these units and I love them to death. I don't know why anyone would part with these for so little money.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:59 PM   #235
c-not-k
Enthusiast
c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony PRS 650, T3, Nook Color
I recently replaced the battery in my 650. The task was easy (Note: I'm an IT guy) and not expensive. I use it every day, and now it goes two weeks between charges again.

I still have my T3 waiting in the wings. It's lighter and faster, but the 650 is just such a quality piece.
c-not-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:24 AM   #236
tropicallie
tropicallie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony600,650,350 T1,NookSTR,GL3,S2TAB,Kobo Mini,KinVoyage
Exactly why my 600 (circa 2009) will never be sold. Yes, it has a glaring screen, and yes, you really have to use some force on that "touch" screen but it is one beautiful ereader to look at and to hold. I wish I was so enamored of my T1 but it's just black plastic like all the other ereaders. I would love to have the insides of the T1 in the case of my red 600. Still on the original battery on my 600, too.
tropicallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:59 AM   #237
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-not-k View Post
I recently replaced the battery in my 650. The task was easy
c, Wish I could find a replacement battery for 950. I've looked everywhere and it's not to be found (at least, not by me).

. . . . . Pete
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:11 PM   #238
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
c, Wish I could find a replacement battery for 950. I've looked everywhere and it's not to be found (at least, not by me).

. . . . . Pete
there are quite a few available on amazon. i just did a simple "PRS-950 battery" search on amazon.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:57 AM   #239
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
there are quite a few available on amazon. i just did a simple "PRS-950 battery" search on amazon.
r, I made the mistake of ordering one of those some time ago. The advertising is false.

None of those are the correct battery.

The vendor refused to refund my money.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:31 AM   #240
c-not-k
Enthusiast
c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.c-not-k could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony PRS 650, T3, Nook Color
I think Sony should have gone upmarket. They've at least done that with their Walkman line. (I have a 32 GB X series, which is selling for around $400, if you can find one. Their current, Hi-Res model is $1,200.) Now, I doubt they'd have many takers for a $1,200 reader, but decontenting to do battle with Amazon and B&N wasn't a battle they'd ever win.)

I would pay a premium for a 650-esque replacement, however.
c-not-k is offline   Reply With Quote