ePub Fan
Baroness began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 5
Battle Royale.
Baroness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #17
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I'd say all the out of print titles should come back as ebooks. And, it would be great if I could download an ebook, then pick what language I want to read it in, with the ability To switch back and forth, like you can do with DVDs.

I hope paper books will be around forever. I love them, and they look nice on sheves and in libraries, I just can't be bothered to read them if I can find the ebook instead.
There a some ebooks I read this year that I loved so much that I thought I should get the hard cover versions - only, I realized I would get them for the sake of getting them, as I would never read them.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #18
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
To reread: Tigana and A Song For Arbonne

To read for the first time: Sunshine and Dancers at the End Of Time
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #19
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Colleen McCullough's Masters of Rome series. I've read two, found a hardcover of another one at the used book store, and that's all. I'd like to have the whole series as epubs. I did find that the last two are ebooks now, but I'd like to have the entire series in a digital format.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #20
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
A lot of people can't afford fancy e-readers or have credit cards to buy the e-books, or even money to buy the e-books.
Predicting is often a fool's game. But I think, twenty years hence, eReaders will be less than US$5 (in 2012 dollars), and new English language papers books will be an expensive luxury item. Other languages will be behind on that curve, but moving in the same direction.

If anyone has a big problem with that, well, complaining on the internet will not help. The only thing that will help is to buy paper, not eBooks. I'm not recommending this, as I consider the transition to eReading inevitable.

Why twenty years? Well, a lot of readers prefer paper, and it will take time for them to move over to the cheaper ecosystems.

Quote:
What would happen to public libraries then, if paper books were gone?
The twentieth century was a stupendous period for publishing, and libraries will keep on housing those books for centuries, and keep lending them out for many decades.

Libraries have many missions other than handing out current books. So we're not talking about library extinction. eBooks do, however, create a challenge for them, and I think we will see branch closings.

My neighborhood public library has a sign asking folks to volunteer for the board. I wonder if this might indicate that eBooks are already drawing community interest away from the library.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 12-09-2012 at 09:50 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #21
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
My neighborhood public library has a sign asking folks to volunteer for the board. I wonder if this might indicate that eBooks are already drawing community interest away from the library.
Internet already did that....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #22
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 7" & 10"; 11"(?)-12" Lenovo laptop
A Treasury of the Familiar, edited by Ralph L. Woods; and other books which don't require a concentrated read. One that comes to mind is Cobwebs and Cream Teas by Mary MacKie which is about working in/caring for a National Trust house. Books which can be read a chapter or two at a time; perfect while waiting for an appointment or a short trip on public transportation. Any of the William Least Heat-Moon books...
Anabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #23
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
I have my mom's old copy of this; she used to describe it as a book you can open anywhere and start reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabana View Post
A Treasury of the Familiar, edited by Ralph L. Woods; and other books which don't require a concentrated read.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #24
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
I dont care about existing books but going forward I think the paper book should be phased out.
Why I wonder? If paper books should be phased out it will be only because no-one is buying them. If people buy them then they are fullfilling a purpose for them.

If it is for ecological/dead tree reasons, I wish they would phase out junk mail as I get at least one paper book's worth every week.

Then there is the paper towel, frozen/takeout food packaging, other packaging, toilet paper and other disposable paper products. A paper book is like drop in the ocean compared to that and gets reused more often than that.

I woud not like to live without toilet paper, but I don't see where I need paper towels and all the packaging and junk mail. Still others must need them I assume, just as others may need paper books.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #25
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
One I book I'd like to see as an ebook is Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa. Also wouldn't mine seeing Taiko by the same author.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #26
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness View Post
Battle Royale.
Already an ebook. It was on sale a week or two ago as well.

I'd love to see Pippi Longstocking available as an ebook.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #27
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
Already an ebook. It was on sale a week or two ago as well.

I'd love to see Pippi Longstocking available as an ebook.
I can't believe they are not available as ebooks yet, since they could bundle them with the movies and audiobooks - they could add them to a special edition Kindle fire for younger kids!

Last edited by xendula; 12-10-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #28
xendula
eBookworm

If anyone remembers them from their childhood, Enid Blyton's "The Famous Five" are now available as ebooks, though the US store uses weird covers for them. Here's the UK link.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #29
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
To Kill a Mockingbird. That's #1 for me.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #30
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
To Kill a Mockingbird. That's #1 for me.

eP
Good choice!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote