Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-10-2010, 06:44 AM   #1
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
News for Australian readers

Hi All,

Just saw an ad on ABC for a story on ebooks in Australia on the 7.30 Report tomorrow night (will be Thursday 11th). Might be on interest for some of you, I know I will watch it.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Just in case we miss it (kids and their water polo, I don't know... ) , would you mind posting a summary of what the story's about here afterwards?
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnett View Post
Just in case we miss it (kids and their water polo, I don't know... ) , would you mind posting a summary of what the story's about here afterwards?
I will post links afterwards. The 7.30 report keep transcripts on their website of all their stories as well as allow you to download a vodcast or watch a repeat on iView later.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:35 PM   #4
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
Thanks, Solicitous, I'll set the Foxtel to record it now.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:26 AM   #5
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveMe View Post
Thanks, Solicitous, I'll set the Foxtel to record it now.
It should be on the ABC 7:30 report tomorrow so posting the link should be enough. Will keep an eye out for it.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2010, 06:15 AM   #6
Solicitous
Wizard

Ok everybody, the story was delayed (email from ABC said it was going to be on sometime this week). Well the story was on tonight. Currently there isn't a transcript but it can be re-watched from the 7.30 report website (or possibly through iView).

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/vodcast.htm
Old 03-18-2010, 06:31 AM   #7
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
After watching the video I see they fell into the usual Apple and Kindle are the only devices available.
They also had the "Legion of the Pure" stating that books will always be here but overall it was a pretty accurate report of the near future of ebooks.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:45 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Thanks for the link, Solicitous. It's a pity that the nature of news magazine reports is such that they can only skim the surface and tend to go over the same old ground. But this does serve as a simple introduction in Australia where the scene is perceived as being new (in fact I came across an Australian ebook publisher in the nineties -- the idea died of apathy down Under back then). Those whose interest is piqued can now easily dig deeper. We may see some new members here as a result of TV eposure like this. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #9
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
The sequence could be like this, for a certain Ozzy Austen who has never ever heard of ebooks:

1) Ozzy Austen: "Hey, I'd like to get one of those, I like the Kindle (or iPad)".
2) Ozzy googles "ebook".
3) "Oh, ^^^^ , not Facebook, EBOOK, let me add a dash. E-book."
4) Gutenberg and Calibre appear. "Hmm, the Calibre thing seems strange, manage ebooks? Let me see the Gutenberg thing".
5) "Oooohhh, the classics, let me see if they have [insert classic book].
6) [Insert classic book] appears ready to download. Ozzy can download it in HTML, Plain text, Mobipocket, ePub, Plucker, QiOO.

7a) Ozzy yells in pain, not knowing whatever that maremagnum of letters means, and abandons the effort.
7b) Ozzy yells in pain, not knowing whatever that maremagnum of letters means, finds Mobileread and yells "HALP!!!"
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #10
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
You can also see it on iView: http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/533599

It showed a lot of iPad clips and interviewed a lady with a Kindle. Australians will FLOCK to e-books simply because they have such messed up protectionism on their book industry.

It is cheaper to order books from the US Amazon store and have them flown to Australia then it is to walk down the street and purchase a book from an Aussie bookshop. The government recently swayed to pressure (from publishers/authors) to keep it that way.

So many Australians will jump at buying e-books from iTunes and Amazon. A lot cheaper.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:48 AM   #11
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Ok everybody, the story was delayed (email from ABC said it was going to be on sometime this week). Well the story was on tonight. Currently there isn't a transcript but it can be re-watched from the 7.30 report website (or possibly through iView).

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/vodcast.htm
Many thanks for the link - I didn't even know that it was on the 7.30 Report.
I have only one whinge about it "and middle-aged, cross-eyed old ladies would fall in love with e-books.'

Okay! I'll settle for that! Because it's true, I tell you.

nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:32 AM   #12
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
Thanks heaps for that Solicitous

It is so frustrating that Australia is so behind on the e-book technology. I think the Kindle going international and with the upcoming iPad, it's going to make more people aware of e-book and e-book devices and hopefully the Australian market will become more open to e-books! Hopefully that'll mean that we can start accessing e-books from Australian bookstores and get more reasonable prices *fingers crossed*. And I would love libraries to get on board in Australia!
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:27 PM   #13
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
There are already Australian bookstores selling eBooks - but at those prices I prefer to go overseas. Thanks to the government the prices are just not competitive.
I also get books from the library - sure, not as many available as others but then again, they are just starting out.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:18 AM   #14
Dion
Dion began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver
iRiver eBook readers are for sale, at Harvey Norman Australia
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:29 AM   #15
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
At a massive price, presumably, being them.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote