Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-11-2008, 06:04 AM   #16
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's always fraustrating when you can't figure out HOW something like this happened, isn't it? You don't think there's a possibility that you could have inadvertently put your hand on it while you were sitting up in bed, or anything like that?
The observations supports the theory that i broke in normal use and Bookeen should replace it. See, easy to figure out!
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:09 AM   #17
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
And the bad thing is, if you break the glass, you might not even see it at first. Its just a tiny fracture. And then you leave it lying around and several degrees of temperature change cause the fracture to grow. That way it seems like the glass has got broken just by itself.

Fortunately for Bookeen and all the other manufacturers, glass breakage is soo seldom, that a general production fault is not likely at all.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2008, 10:51 PM   #18
JWLaRue
Addict
JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JWLaRue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (blue, of course!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
There is even a wikipedia entry for spontaneous breaking of glass:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_glass_breakage

So if it can happen with certain types of glass why rule out that it can happen for an E-ink device?
This wikipedia article appears to be speaking to tempered glass. Does anyone know if the e-ink screens use some form of tempered glass?

-Jeff
JWLaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:53 AM   #19
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLaRue View Post
This wikipedia article appears to be speaking to tempered glass. Does anyone know if the e-ink screens use some form of tempered glass?
Just to avoid misunderstanding. What I objected to was the unfounded claim that glass do not break spontaneously. There did not seem to be any reason to think so and for a ceratin type of glass it was documented.

And tribble says that the glass can break and you will notice it later. So obviously it is possible for Bookeen to break the glass and you will see it later.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #20
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Another possibility is the manufacturing tolerances of the mounting. There could be stress placed on the glass due to the mounting tolerances being at extreme ends, e.g. the upper left mount point at positive extreme and the lower right being at negative extreme. This condition would be rare in the manufacturing process but the glass would be under constant stress such that a slight knock or even temperature change could cause the break.

Tommy is correct in that the break seems "spontaneous" (i.e. no overt cause for the break) and in fact is not the fault of the user. However the statistical odds are for the user causing the break so the manufacture would accept that as the manner of breakage.

As Harry says this would be extremely rare. But that doesn't help the person who experiences it. Unfortunately we don't hear about the hundreds, thousands, or hundred of thousands of units that don't break in this manner, so it seems like it happens too much for it not to be a manufacturing fault.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2008, 12:50 AM   #21
binzer
Zealot
binzer doesn't litterbinzer doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
So um...

My Cybook screen is broken too (seriously). It looks like the OP's, but more blank screen, and less text. It still turns on and off just fine, and the entire thing looks completely undamaged.

wab, when you turn yours on, does the blank part of the screen flash, and the text not do anything?

Anyways, I just emailed support. My Cybook hasn't left its leather case since the day I got it, and I'm very very sad.
binzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:08 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Can you post a picture showing what the screen looks like?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:20 AM   #23
minigrrl
minigrrl began at the beginning.

Device: eReader on many Palms, Treos & iPhone, Cybook Gen3 x2, Pocketbook 360
Another broken screen...

And mine is broken too - I've only had it a week and I KNOW I didn't bang it as I've been extra super careful with it as I read this thread only a few days after I got the thing. I'm devastated and not very happy as I live in Australia and shipping is going to be expensive and also take forever.

I also don't see how this could not be a manufacturing fault. There is no way I banged it or sat on it or put my hand on it. It worked this morning, it doesn't work tonight.

And to be honest, if it's that delicate, is it really worth having?

I'll post a picture in a while.
minigrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:43 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please do post pictures. If it's a problem with the screen controller (ie an electronic problem), it will be repaired under warranty. It's only if you've broken the screen substrate that it won't be. It's easy to tell from the appearance of the screen which of the two it is.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:46 AM   #25
minigrrl

Pictures attached.

Pictures of broken screen both off and on...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BrokenScreen_Off1.JPG
Views:	633
Size:	342.1 KB
ID:	13467   Click image for larger version

Name:	BrokenScreen_Off2.JPG
Views:	541
Size:	383.7 KB
ID:	13468   Click image for larger version

Name:	BrokenScreen_On1.JPG
Views:	559
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	13469   Click image for larger version

Name:	BrokenScreen_On2.JPG
Views:	529
Size:	343.7 KB
ID:	13470  
Old 06-13-2008, 05:51 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's the substrate, unfortunately - you can see the visible crack running top to bottom in all the pictures.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:03 AM   #27
minigrrl

I know the screen is broken - it's pretty obvious.

It just seems very strange that it would have broken without anything actually happening to cause a break. It's only a week old and I've treated it with kid gloves - maybe bedside tables have a secret party life we don't know about - I should probably check for beer caps under the bed!
Old 06-13-2008, 06:06 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

How annoying . All I can suggest is contacting Bookeen and see what they say. From what you say, it does sound like a manufacturing defect, I agree.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:30 AM   #29
minigrrl

Yeah, I've emailed them, just have to wait and see what they say.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:54 PM   #30
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please do post pictures. If it's a problem with the screen controller (ie an electronic problem), it will be repaired under warranty. It's only if you've broken the screen substrate that it won't be. It's easy to tell from the appearance of the screen which of the two it is.
Sounds like a bunch of people have the same issue without any physical jolts. It could be from a bad run of screens.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, cybook, screen