Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-31-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
canicula
Enthusiast
canicula doesn't littercanicula doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, MacBook Air
Lightest tablet PC?

I really need something to read A4 PDFs on. an Iliad is the best choice in the eInk department at present. If I could get a light tablet PC it might be a better choice. Actually thin and light. Probably a slate rather than one with a twistable screen and keyboard.

Which are the lightest slate type tablet PCs on the market?

Ian
canicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:27 PM   #2
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by canicula View Post
I really need something to read A4 PDFs on. an Iliad is the best choice in the eInk department at present. If I could get a light tablet PC it might be a better choice. Actually thin and light. Probably a slate rather than one with a twistable screen and keyboard.

Which are the lightest slate type tablet PCs on the market?

Ian
You may want to check out Motion Tablet PC

They have several, one small and light but very expensive. A couple of others a little bigger and it would seem to me better for reading PDFs but they do weigh more.

I have had one of their older Tablet's for several years. Works great!
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #3
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
I second the Motion, or the Sahara.
Still we are speaking of 1,5 kilos or more.

I myself have a Toshiba M200 almost 3 years old now and that puts’ me into the 2,1 Kilos.
I have a 10.4” Acer C110 as bakup - old and can not be found anymore - and this one weights 1.35 Kilos.

A tabletpc is perfect for reading A4 PDF’s.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:41 AM   #4
pbananth
Enthusiast
pbananth is on a distinguished road

Device: Ebookwise 1150,EBOOKWISE 1200,JOINTECH JE 100
what about fujitsu u1010 ?
screen size around 6"
in india HCL introduced 7" touchpad swivel Laptop..Milleap Y,
whether it will be useful..
pbananth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:35 PM   #5
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
The fujitsu u1010 is not a tabletpc but a Umpc.
It can read A4 PDF's quite well (half page at a time).
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
I've been looking at UMPCs - these are laptops & tablets that have screens smaller than 10". They usually are in the 4" to 8" screen size, and can have extra large batteries that last up to 12 hours. Weight is usually under 2 lbs, before the extra large battery.

Check out www.umpcPortal.com

For tablets, Fujitsu is the best, but they cost quite a bit. I picked up a Stylistic 3400 used on eBay for $300 loaded, but battery life is limited, even with extra batteries and external dual chargers. You don't need a lot of processor to read pages.

I've seen the Fujitsu St5111 listed as a good option, but we're talking $2500.

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
canicula
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the pointers.

Ian
Old 02-14-2008, 02:18 PM   #8
canicula
Enthusiast

For the record. I ended up getting a MacBook Air. I needed something light to use when travelling. I'm a Mac user. So I got the Air. No more aching shoulders after traipsing through airports!

It's very nice :-) The screen is excellent. It'll do for my PDF reading needs when away from home when I don't want to have paper copies of docs.

Ian
Old 02-15-2008, 01:17 AM   #9
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by canicula View Post
For the record. I ended up getting a MacBook Air. I needed something light to use when travelling. I'm a Mac user. So I got the Air. No more aching shoulders after traipsing through airports!

It's very nice :-) The screen is excellent. It'll do for my PDF reading needs when away from home when I don't want to have paper copies of docs.

Ian
HA!!! now that was a surprise. But the MBA is a really elegant device. Has a few issues to around, but the only one that would frustrate me is the recessed USB port. I hardly ever use a DVD/CD drive other then to watch DVD's so I would not miss it. And at 3lbs, plenty of processing power and a slick sexy design...nice decision!!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #10
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
The fujitsu u1010 is not a tabletpc but a Umpc.
It can read A4 PDF's quite well (half page at a time).
I'd stay away from this model for reading, it's screen is too small and Fujitsu wasted a ton of space regarding screen real-estate. Secondly, it's actually quite think for an UMPC, the sales pics are way deceptive on how it actually looks. In case you're wondering, I've played around with this one off and on at the local PCDepot here in Japan (just saw it again last night next to the resolution-challenged Asus Eee PC).

I wouldn't recommend anything less than 7" for reading off of. I have a couple OQO's and the screen is too small to make it useful for reading Techie PDF's (not to mention the keyboard crampage).

Now thos St models from Fujitsu look nice, I'll keep my eyes open for a hands-on. Glad to hear you got an Air, hopefully you got a good deal and didn't get ripped off on it. I'm still awaiting the HTC Shift, though I'm torn that they've taken so long to get it to market so I wonder what their support would be like...

Last edited by Azayzel; 02-15-2008 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Oops, finished reading rest of posts RE: Purchase
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:12 PM   #11
Redfox
aka Anne Lyle
Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
The Samsung Q1U is only 900g (less than a pound) and has a stunning 7" 1024x600 screen - another serious possibility for anyone wanting a light, reasonably-priced tablet UMPC.

I bought one a few months ago, but have decided to sell it in favour of an iRex iLiad, because what I mainly want a mobile device for is reading and making notes - and since I spend all day looking at a computer screen, e-Ink is nice and restful for my eyes
Redfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #12
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfox View Post
The Samsung Q1U is only 900g (less than a pound)
You sure?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:41 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfox View Post
The Samsung Q1U is only 900g (less than a pound)
Ahem!

1 kg = 2.2 lb

Therefore 900g = 0.9 x 2.2 = 2 lb
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:37 AM   #14
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Ahem!

1 kg = 2.2 lb

Therefore 900g = 0.9 x 2.2 = 2 lb
So for the cost of another lb the OP got a whole laptop.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:14 AM   #15
sheygetz
Connoisseur
sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.

Device: KPW G2 , 10" tablet
1.2 kg!

FSC Lifebook P1610
http://extranet.fujitsu-siemens.com/...book_p1610.pdf
sheygetz is offline   Reply With Quote