Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #46
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelsound View Post
Thanks for working on this!
Agree +10000000

I really hate the fonts of this pw2 , and hope for this hack works fine in the future
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:32 PM   #47
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
I'm insanely glad to hear it works at all, and can live without a fancy Aa menu. Very much looking forward to any viable way of replacing/overriding the current fonts.

(I still remember the very first K2 font hack with no menus or options at all, so ANYTHING usable will be welcome. Nothing fancy required.)

Thanks, NiLuJe!!!
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2013, 03:09 AM   #48
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Success !!!! Replaced Caecilia Condensed with Trebuchet.

Many many thanks NiLuJe !!! Great job, as always !

Edit: Now, I would discourage anyone without KUAL experience to try that one now. Let it be tested for a few days first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_12_01T09_07_00+0100.png
Views:	963
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	116037  

Last edited by aceflor; 12-01-2013 at 03:16 AM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:06 AM   #49
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Thanks Aceflor and NiLuJe, it works for my Pw2 too ;-)

Last edited by ersott; 12-01-2013 at 05:11 AM.
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:14 AM   #50
levante
Connoisseur
levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: kindle NT, PW1, PW2, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
If you're expecting shiny bloated Aa menus, then you're SOL .
I didn't know. Only a new font replacing caecilia condensed then.
A family of four files.ttf I suppose, is it this ok?

Thanks
levante is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2013, 05:33 AM   #51
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by levante View Post
I didn't know. Only a new font replacing caecilia condensed then.
A family of four files.ttf I suppose, is it this ok?

Thanks
Yep
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #52
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
If you can, yeah, having the four styles is best, obviously, but technically, you don't even need to, the rendering engine will 'fake' the missing styles if need be (note that this probably works better with a custom freetype override, though).

It also handles CFF fonts fine, so the TrueType format isn't a hard requirement either .

And I do concur with aceflor's comment: not for the faint of heart .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #53
levante
Connoisseur
levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.levante beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: kindle NT, PW1, PW2, Kobo H2O
Installed and working.
A little confusing, yes.

Thanks again
levante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #54
chipf0rk
chipf0rk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd gen)
That's awesome to hear, however I can't quite figure out how to get it working.
I put a four files for four styles of Adobe Garamond Pro in the directory, the Font Overrides menu detects this properly, and I can apply it to any family. However, I don't see any real changes.
Is this the actual way to achieve replacing Caecilia Condensed with any font? Or did I miss something? What are the default font family overrides, exactly, seeing as I could only override Futura, the default sans font, and not Helvetica, etc?
I didn't really find anything fully clear on this, so I'd be eternally grateful if you could help me out here
chipf0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #55
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@chipf0rk: There's a button to show the current font the alias points to, as well as one to reset it to the defaults.

Each of the four base families can be overriden (serif: Caecilia Regular, sans: Helvetica, mono: KindleSymbol, condensed: Caecilia Condensed), but since I don't care about condensed, and I don't recommend overriding a font used it the UI (ie. sans/serif/mono), I went with condensed.

So, yeah, while you *could* override more than one family, I don't really recommend it .

You'll have to restart the framework (there's a button for that in the Fonts menu) for the changes to be taken into account (or update the cache if it's the first time the fonts have been introduced, in which case the framework restart is part of the process).

I'll probably tweak the doc a bit when I make the proper release, so don't hesitate to ask, it'll help me make it clearer for everybody else .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-01-2013 at 03:21 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #56
ameho
ameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueameho can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@chipf0rk: There's a button to show the current font the alias points to, as well as one to reset it to the defaults.

Each of the four base families can be overriden (serif: Caecilia Regular, sans: Helvetica, mono: KindleSymbol, condensed: Caecilia Condensed), but since I don't care about condensed, and I don't recommend overriding a font used it the UI (ie. sans/serif/mono), I went with condensed.

So, yeah, while you *could* override more than one family, I don't really recommend it .

You'll have to restart the framework (there's a button for that in the Fonts menu) for the changes to be taken into account (or update the cache if it's the first time the fonts have been introduced, in which case the framework restart is part of the process).

I'll probably tweak the doc a bit when I make the proper release, so don't hesitate to ask, it'll help me make it clearer for everybody else .
http://amzdigitaldownloads.edgesuite...c8/zh-Hans.bin
http://amzdigitaldownloads.edgesuite...1218410/ja.bin

I think these two interesting files may give you some inspiration on fonts hack.
ameho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #57
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Just wanted to say I got this working very nicely on my PW2. Thanks for clarifying how to do so! I'm very excited about not having to re-convert all my files to embed fonts anymore
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #58
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Thank you so much!! Font replacement working well on my PW2. Happy!
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #59
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Woohoo! JSWolf's CharisSIL looks great as a Caecilia Condensed replacement on the PW2. Nice and dark!

Font here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=67

Thanks, NiLuJe!!!
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:38 PM   #60
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipf0rk View Post
That's awesome to hear, however I can't quite figure out how to get it working.
I put a four files for four styles of Adobe Garamond Pro in the directory, the Font Overrides menu detects this properly, and I can apply it to any family. However, I don't see any real changes.
Is this the actual way to achieve replacing Caecilia Condensed with any font? Or did I miss something? What are the default font family overrides, exactly, seeing as I could only override Futura, the default sans font, and not Helvetica, etc?
I didn't really find anything fully clear on this, so I'd be eternally grateful if you could help me out here
Kual > font overrides > condensed > custom

Do you see garamond there? If yes, select it, then open a book, select any other font, click home, open book again, select Caecilia condensed.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fontconfig, fonts, freetype, hacks, paperwhite, touch