Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 07-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #361
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
the arc is kobo's multimedia tool much the same as the kindle is amazons and the nook is barnes and noble. ultimately the aim is to get you to buy their products. you would be far better advised to buy an independant product like the asus fonepad, asus/nexus 7, samsung tab7 etc. they are google playstore certified and you will be able to install the individual reading apps you require without being tied to a system. you will also find that you can do so much more with the likes of the asus/samsung tablets as their connectivity is much greater
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #362
nmackinnon
nmackinnon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Yes you can disable the Discovery Bar and regain the real estate. Download and install GoLauncher and it will run like any normal tablet. I've had this since December and it runs flawlessly.
I do not like any program to "predict" what I like based on what I HAVE read because I like variety, not more of the same.
nmackinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2014, 02:18 PM   #363
Yodaweed
Yodaweed began at the beginning.

Discovery Bore

Dear Kobo,

Discovery Bar is horrible, "just try it, you'll like it" I don't think so, been there done that, gone to go launcher. I like tapestry, its nice but I wont be back until I can minimize or disable that "discovery bar" which, lets face it, is nothing more than an advertising banner. Its ugly, intrusive and ruins what is an otherwise very nice interface. At least let us minimize it. Given how much negative response discovery bar has garnered I would think a company concerned with its customers desires would respond and adapt. Your lack of willingness to revisit the issue leaves me to draw certain unflattering conclusions about your company. For this reason not only have I dumped your interface but I have also begun to warn folks about this aspect of going with what would otherwise be a pretty awesome product for the price. But with so many competitors out there why compromise. You may think its a small cosmetic feature but advertising and choice are things most consumers feel pretty strongly about. I mean I signed up just to say this... That's my 2 cents.

Last edited by Yodaweed; 02-14-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Yodaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #364
slate
Connoisseur
slate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura about

Device: N/A
A little late to the party there Yodaweed.

In case you haven't noticed Kobo has abandoned support for the original Arc. The last firmware is dated 2013-05-13 and the two Kobo employees who were once active in regards to the Arc haven't been around in months.

Your points have been made plenty of times in the past. Simply run a different launcher as that is what everyone else has already done.

Bumping a dead thread does nothing for anyone.
slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:16 PM   #365
Canuck77
Canuck77 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Install Go Launcher to get rid of Tapestry etc on the home screen
Thank you kindly!!!

Bye bye horrible book suggester! aka "Discover Bar"
Canuck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2014, 02:52 PM   #366
sus
sus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo original
I've had my Kobo Arc HD since The late Spring and I have been reading constantly. I plugged it in the other night to recharge the battery and now it won't turn back on. Can you help?
sus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:08 PM   #367
sus
sus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo original
Kobo Arc HD

I've had my Kobo Arc HD since The late Spring and I have been reading constantly. I plugged it in the other night to recharge the battery and now it won't turn back on. Can you help?

Thank you in advance Susanne
sus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:15 PM   #368
heleneArch
heleneArch began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Hi all,
I have had my Kobo Arc for slightly over a year, thus warranty is no more.
When I first (back in Oct last year) setup the Arc, I connected to my wifi just fine and I used the tablet daily for reading, and maybe once a week through wifi.

Now this morning, wanted to use the Kobo with wifi: wifi is no more.

I have tried several solutions so far, nothing works. Here's more info --- IF someone (Anyone!) could help me, I'd be grateful.

- couldn't connect to wifi, couldn't find network (WPA), even entering manually just gave me a "can't join network try later" message.
- did a factory reset (I know it means losing everything - books, apps, etc. - on kobo, but I'd rather lose everything than lose my Kobo!
- after factory reset, still no network access (same message pops up
- did a router reset. still not working.
- I am STUCK on Connect to wifi page, and I want out. I just want to read on my kobo.

Yes, it's a hidden SSID, using WPA security, BUT here's the thing: I have 2 other kobos and they are connected fine to my WPA wifi. What gives? Why my ARC...

So right now. I'm missing my daily dose of reading, until I can bypass this wi-fi setup page.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
heleneArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:46 PM   #369
heleneArch
heleneArch began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
update on previous post

I tried a neighbor's open connection, still won't connect, tried an open connection at starbucks, still nothing, always the same message "Unable to join this network now, please try later".

At some point, I got a screen that showed it was connecting to an open wi-fi, however as soon as the "downloading updates" appeared, I got a second popup over that, which said "kobo setup wizard has encountered an error".

At this point, nothing is helping.
Anyone have any idess or suggestions?
heleneArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:46 AM   #370
Tony Jaques
Tony Jaques began at the beginning.

A possible repllacement screen

Hi There,
This does not seem to be a particularly technical forum,
but nevertheless there may be someone who has learnt the
hard way what I wish to know.
My Kobo Arc will not respond to touch down the right hand
side of the screen. Having taken the unit to bits (and yes,
put it back together again) it would appear that screen
replacement on the Kobo Arc is quite straightforward - if
only one could find a replacement screen!
Looking at comments sprinkled around the internet it
would seem that Kobo won't supply any spares, won't repair
the Arc, and indeed is reported as totally unhelpful. If
anyone knows any different I would be pleased to know.
The only place that I have see the screen advertised is
at digital-home123 on Ebay, but there are two problems with
that: One is that the illustrated screen shows only one
connector - the screen for the Arc has two. The other is that
the Arc is described there as a 'phone. And as we all know
the Kobo Arc isn't one.
So; questions
Has Kobo also made a 'phone called the Arc?
Has anyone here bought the advertised screen,(they seem
to have sold quite a few) and is it the correct one for the
Arc?
Has anyone come across another source for the screen?
Anyone got a useless Arc for sale that has failed for
some other reason, such a battery failure or USB connector
failure? Incidentally these would also be very easy DIY
replacements if spares could be got.

Even if you can't help thank you ploughing through this.

Tony...
Tony Jaques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:19 AM   #371
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi mate as you have figured out Kobe customer support is beyond a joke. If you are desperate to save your tablet look for second hand ones with good screens. Mine is still going but is my toilet device for watching TV in the tub. When it dies no loss. Had I done a bit more homework I never would have bought it. Rooting it did make it slightly more usable but lack of connectivity made it useless on the move. Good luck but your money would be better put towards a new tablet.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:52 AM   #372
Tony Jaques
Tony Jaques began at the beginning.

Hello Stevov,
Thank you for the reply. I did wonder if there was anyone about (the previous post being 2011). I would like to get the Arc usable again, partly because Kobo seem to be against the idea, and partly because I have bought an Oshion tablet to replace it. It is good, for what it cost (£30), but it is not as good in some ways as the Arc.
I wonder if Kobo are daft enough to believe that anyone would buy from them twice!
Tony...
Tony Jaques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:11 PM   #373
stevov
Groupie

Amazon has had their 7" tablet on sale for the past week for 35 quid. No name brands equal no service.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:35 AM   #374
Alvi
Alvi began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc 7
Hello,

I have a Kobo Arc 7 and I have been having a problem with it. The screen/touches work on their own. For example, I try entering my password, it goes on to add more letters to it. I have done 3 resets/factory resets. The problem is still present. I can't enter my kobo account details. I think it has become like this after it has updated. Moreover, it is saying "Unfortunately, Kobo Setup Wizard has stopped"... And it will also not change position when i turn my Kobo up/down/right/left.

Has anyone experienced this? Do you know what I can do?

I don't want to lose my Kobo. I have it since 3 years now. I need my daily dose of reading!!

Thanks.
Alvi

Last edited by Alvi; 12-27-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Alvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:24 AM   #375
GinRummy
GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ali,
This has happened to me as well.
The only thing I have found helps is cleaning the screen.
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote