Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you think an iPad Mini will ship this year?
I believe it is for real, and I want one 32 35.16%
I believe it is for real, not interested in one 45 49.45%
I don't think it is coming soon, but I'm interested 6 6.59%
I don't think it is coming soon, not interested 6 6.59%
I will only get one if it blends 2 2.20%
Other (explain in post) 0 0%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #61
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
As far as actual Apple device users criticizing Apple products, if they do, even when they have a very legitimate reason to, they often get persecuted beyond belief by the loyalists. I've been an Apple device owner/user on and off since I bought an Apple II+ way back in 1981, which is before many of the loyalists were even born. But try to even ask about short battery life in any iPod touch model, especially on the official Apple forums, and you can expect to be called every name in the book. Apple turns a blind eye to such rude and unjust behavior. However if you retaliate to their vulgar name calling by simply calling them fanboys Apple will ban you for life from their forums. So what I'm trying to say here is that there is little incentive for the average Apple device owner to criticize any device as they have certainly seen what the anonymous loyalists will do to them. They surely won't get a legitimate answer to their question or a workaround to their problem, so why bother....
Hmmm... never been on an Apple forum. I wonder how long it would take me to get banned?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #62
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
The new connector also has an embedded chip which, apparently, will make it hard to create knock-offs. It's for security though, it's no money grabbing scheme.
It also assigns pin functionality.

Also when you combine a USB 3.0... and I'm sure this connector can support USB 3.0, even though the current cable is only USB 2.0... with HDMI you're looking at a connector area about the same size as the old Dock connector this replaces.

So sure it is propriatary, but still it has serious advantages.

Last edited by Dylrob; 10-18-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 09:31 PM   #63
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
Yes, no one likes having a new connector, but the last one is very old (its been around for so long) and after a year or so we won't even notice it. Its just the transition
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:55 PM   #64
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
It also assigns pin functionality.

Also when you combine a USB 3.0... and I'm sure this connector can support USB 3.0, even though the current cable is only USB 2.0... with HDMI you're looking at a connector area about the same size as the old Dock connector this replaces.

So sure it is propriatary, but still it has serious advantages.
But there is certainly no need to make it proprietary. USB can do what you need to do, you can charge, transfer files, have digital audio or digital video out, remote control devices like cameras, connect keyboards and mice and so on. Standards are there for a reason, to make everybody's life easier.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #65
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But there is certainly no need to make it proprietary. USB can do what you need to do, you can charge, transfer files, have digital audio or digital video out, remote control devices like cameras, connect keyboards and mice and so on. Standards are there for a reason, to make everybody's life easier.
You can't send a direct video signal over USB (otherwise would would be the point of mini-HDMI?). You can't even stream uncompressed video over USB 2.0, which has a smaller micro connector than USB 3.0.

The ideal situation would be for Apple to submit this new Lightning connector as an industry standard. Certainly they have done so with other connectors in the past. Specifically FireWire and MiniDP. Will they do so with this? Probably not. But still physically it is a better connector. Offering more functionality for the size and being easier to use.
(Don't tell me you haven't tried to insert a USB connector the wrong way on occasion!)

Last edited by Dylrob; 10-18-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Advert
Old 10-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #66
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
You can't send a direct video signal over USB (otherwise would would be the point of mini-HDMI?). You can't even stream uncompressed video over USB 2.0, which has a smaller micro connector than USB 3.0.

The ideal situation would be for Apple to submit this new Lightning connector as an industry standard. Certainly they have done so with other connectors in the past. Specifically FireWire and MiniDP. Will they do so with this? Probably not. But still physically it is a better connector. Offering more functionality for the size and being easier to use.
(Don't tell me you haven't tried to insert a USB connector the wrong way on occasion!)
You can get video out with a USB to MHL converter, plenty of phones do that.

We certainly do NOT need a new standard. USB -> Standard. MHL -> Standard. Why define a new one???
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #67
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

Quote:
You can get video out with a USB to MHL converter, plenty of phones do that.

We certainly do NOT need a new standard. USB -> Standard. MHL -> Standard. Why define a new one???
MHL is barely a standard. Already we've seen Samsung release their own proprietary version that is physically incompatible. Considering they are currently the world's largest handset manufacturer, that is a serious problem! And there is still the fact that this connector is smaller than a microUSB 3.0 and easier/more user friendly.

Last edited by Dylrob; 10-18-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #68
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'll end up trying it but I don't have an IPAD for comparison. Final specs I haven't seen but anyone else feel calling it its MINI rather misleading if it really isn't close especially?

On that note, cannot help feeling some would be glad they didn't buy big brother with this labelled MINI if they don't like it.

Last edited by robertc88; 10-19-2012 at 11:10 AM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #69
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300com View Post
Mini iPad WiFi + Cellular 8 GB - 349, - Euro
Assuming that translates to US $349, this is available with Verizon LTE and battery life is comparable to the bigger iPad, I'd like to have one of these for use as GPS, wifi hotspot and occasional web browser. The iPad is a pain to carry around all the time. Unfortunately, the Nexus 7 doesn't have built in cellular data support and tethering to the cellphone kills the cellphone battery in just 3~4 hours.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #70
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
As far as actual Apple device users criticizing Apple products, if they do, even when they have a very legitimate reason to, they often get persecuted beyond belief by the loyalists. I've been an Apple device owner/user on and off since I bought an Apple II+ way back in 1981, which is before many of the loyalists were even born. But try to even ask about short battery life in any iPod touch model, especially on the official Apple forums, and you can expect to be called every name in the book. Apple turns a blind eye to such rude and unjust behavior. However if you retaliate to their vulgar name calling by simply calling them fanboys Apple will ban you for life from their forums. So what I'm trying to say here is that there is little incentive for the average Apple device owner to criticize any device as they have certainly seen what the anonymous loyalists will do to them. They surely won't get a legitimate answer to their question or a workaround to their problem, so why bother....
That is interesting. There is one other type blog/forum that is typically very thin skinned one way.

The purpose of this "one way only" type attitude is to fan the fever pitch of the majority. Anyone not in harmony is simply called a troll and banned to the cheers and affirmations of the majority.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:08 AM   #71
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
... Unfortunately, the Nexus 7 doesn't have built in cellular data support and tethering to the cellphone kills the cellphone battery in just 3~4 hours.
This is why I choose to have a portable wifi device rather than anything tied to any one gadget. My current device (I have three) works on 3 bands: 850/900/2100 but doesnt do LTE. No matter, where I live its nearly non-existent anyway. But what it means is that it doesnt matter what I take with me, it works with the gadget (netbook, MBP, iPad, iPhone, Android phones and possibly soon an android 7" tablet). Sure, there's limited battery life (currently about 5 hours IIRC) but for the amount of time I genuinely need a connection whilst out and about on anything but my phone, it becomes irrelevant (I rarely use more than an hour anyway).
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #72
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Tick....tick...tick....
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #73
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #74
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
This is why I choose to have a portable wifi device rather than anything tied to any one gadget. My current device (I have three) works on 3 bands: 850/900/2100 but doesnt do LTE. No matter, where I live its nearly non-existent anyway. But what it means is that it doesnt matter what I take with me, it works with the gadget (netbook, MBP, iPad, iPhone, Android phones and possibly soon an android 7" tablet). Sure, there's limited battery life (currently about 5 hours IIRC) but for the amount of time I genuinely need a connection whilst out and about on anything but my phone, it becomes irrelevant (I rarely use more than an hour anyway).
I did have a MiFi, too. It was a pain to use compared to just using the built-in wifi hotspot functionality on any of my smartphones (both Android and iPhone) and it kept overheating after 1-2 hour's use. It's not like battery life was any better either (~4 hours) so I got rid of it. My favorite device to use as wi-fi hotspot is the iPad LTE because of the super long battery life. With a full charge, I was able to use it as wi-fi hotspot for over 24 hours. The thing is, while I don't need constant connectivity, I do access the internet intermittently and having to wake the MiFi from suspend and wait for a connection to be established just takes too long.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #75
jswinden
Nameless Being

iPad mini has 7.9" screen at 1024*768 pixels = 162 ppi. That's not particularly impressive for reading. It looks nice, but screen wise it is a year behind the Fire HD and similar 7" tablets. It is certainly a good choice for those wanting a smaller iPad for web surfing, etc. I don't think it will be very good as an eBook reader though. I suspect the iPad mini 2 will have retina and then it will be a terrific reader.