Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #961
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDwarf72 View Post
For progress loging purpose:
I've used inf.wizzard suplied in libusb. I've created specific driver for my machine and it worked.

Ok, I've moved a bit. I flashed the diags but failed to flash diags kernel as it says file too large.
The only file that should be too large to flash is the main partition. Both main and diags kernels, and diags partition should be small enough to flash with fastboot, if they do need to be flashed.

You need to be in diags ssh to flash the main partition, using the dd command.

There is no reason why your diags kernel should be too big unless you have the wrong file...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #962
jdunner3
jdunner3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
K4NT without any screen saver

All of these restores seem to be for completely bricked Kindles. Fortunately my Kindle is fine other than the fact I tried some screen saver hack that I shouldn't have.

Is it possible to undo the following hack? I am hoping going back into diag/usb mode via Putty and inputting some command lines will do the truck. Or do I have to completely follow the various PDF guides?

Here are the steps that I have done...

mntroot rw
mkdir /mnt/us/screensaver
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/base-mmc
mv /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800 /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800.old
ln -sfn /mnt/us/screensaver /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800

Thanks in advance for any help!
jdunner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #963
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdunner3 View Post
All of these restores seem to be for completely bricked Kindles. Fortunately my Kindle is fine other than the fact I tried some screen saver hack that I shouldn't have.

Is it possible to undo the following hack? I am hoping going back into diag/usb mode via Putty and inputting some command lines will do the truck. Or do I have to completely follow the various PDF guides?

Here are the steps that I have done...

mntroot rw
mkdir /mnt/us/screensaver
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/base-mmc
mv /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800 /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800.old
ln -sfn /mnt/us/screensaver /mnt/base-mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver/600x800

Thanks in advance for any help!
If you understand the linux commands that you typed, you will see that you renamed the original 600x800 folder to 600x800.old, and you created a symlink in its place. Just delete the symlink and rename the original folder back to 600x800:
PHP Code:
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/mmc
cd 
/mnt/mmc/opt/amazon/screen_saver
rm 600x800
mv 600x800
.old 600x800
cd 
/
umount /mnt/mmc 
EDIT: You may also delete the screensaver folder off your USB partition if you no longer need it.

EDIT2: I previously simplified and reversed the original "screensavers hack" commands, but now I just modified the commands to NOT make root writable, and now I also unmount the main partition. Because the modifications were done to the mounted partition, there was no need to make the booted diags partition writable. Also, not all kindles have /mnt/base-mmc but they do have /mnt/mmc, so because I support all eink kindle models I prefer to use what they have in common.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-06-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #964
jdunner3
jdunner3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Thank you! That is what I get for typing in commands that I do not understand!
jdunner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:28 AM   #965
WhiteDwarf72
WhiteDwarf72 began at the beginning.

Device: K4B
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
The only file that should be too large to flash is the main partition. Both main and diags kernels, and diags partition should be small enough to flash with fastboot, if they do need to be flashed.

You need to be in diags ssh to flash the main partition, using the dd command.

There is no reason why your diags kernel should be too big unless you have the wrong file...
I've downloaded kernel file from the urls provided in this thread. The file is 5,003kB, but I don't know what is diags ssh.
WhiteDwarf72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 03:34 AM   #966
geekmaster

Quote:
I've downloaded kernel file from the urls provided in this thread. The file is 5,003kB, but I don't know what is diags ssh.
You only need to flash stuff you do not already have installed. You can flash everything but main partition from fastboot. Once you have diags SSH access you can flash the main partition with dd.

First, you need to flash a diags partition that has SSH built in (and a matching diags kernel). Then you can start an SSH shell (where you can type linux commands into your kindle), by using the diags N-U-Z-X menu selections. You can use PuTTY in windows, or ssh in linux on the host PC after you have started an SSH session in diags. From there you can use the linux "dd" command to flash the large main partition. This can take a LONG time (several hours on some kindle models). Be sure to have a fully charged battery before doing this. This should already be in the "small debricking guide for noobs"

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-07-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:44 AM   #967
WhiteDwarf72

Ok. Fundamental question, does the K4 diags, featured in this thread, have ssh? If so, how to start ssh shell?

I was closely following the guide for noobs. And there was no mention of ssh shell. I'm a proper noob guys.

Last edited by WhiteDwarf72; 01-07-2013 at 03:49 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:27 AM   #968
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
PS: The ssh client is also part of the standard Max OSx install not just Linux.
(And *bsd, and ...)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #969
WhiteDwarf72

I think, when I successfully unbrick mu K4 I'm gonna make a guide for proper noobs. But I'm going to ask my way through and not get intimidated by all this geek talk;P

Last edited by WhiteDwarf72; 01-07-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:51 PM   #970
geekmaster

Quote:
I think, when I successfully unbrick mu K4 I'm gonna make a guide for proper noobs. But I'm going to ask my way through and not get intimidated by all this geek talk;P
Yeah, that's what silver18 said. Then he wrote the "small debricking guide for noobs".

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-07-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #971
WhiteDwarf72

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
First, you need to flash a diags partition that has SSH built in (and a matching diags kernel).
Quote:
A similar method can be used with a K4, which already has SSH built into the diags partition, so NO need to reflash mmcblk0p2 on a K4.
So I assume the diags do have SSH.

Quote:
You only need to flash stuff you do not already have installed.
Does that mean that perhaps I can skip flashing diags and go stright to main kernel?

And once again how to start SSH shell?
Old 01-07-2013, 04:48 PM   #972
geekmaster

Quote:
... Does that mean that perhaps I can skip flashing diags and go stright to main kernel?

And once again how to start SSH shell?
If your K4 diags has SSH, you do not need to flash diags or the diags kernel.

And to repeat, use PuTTY for windows SSH, or built-in ssh command if running linux.

And you need to understand linux commands to do anything useful with SSH access to your kindle. Especially, do not do anything harmful while in there poking around "under the hood" with full root access...

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-07-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #973
WhiteDwarf72

Ok I moved another bit, but I'm stuck on "network adapter device". My PC sees the USB Ethernet/RNDIS device but when I go to Advanced tab in device properties there is no such field to put in the IP address. I can supply screen shots if I'm difficult to understand...

BTW how can I exit from diags mode?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #974
geekmaster

Quote:
Ok I moved another bit, but I'm stuck on "network adapter device". My PC sees the USB Ethernet/RNDIS device but when I go to Advanced tab in device properties there is no such field to put in the IP address. I can supply screen shots if I'm difficult to understand...

BTW how can I exit from diags mode?
You need to choose "manually assigned IP address" or something similar before you can fill in the IP and subnet fields.

To exit diags, it needs a special XML file on the USB partition. You can create that by selecting the first diag on the main diag menu. Then you can select "disable diags" in the exit menu to reboot to main...
Old 01-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #975
WhiteDwarf72

I'm just thinking, as I have a laptop hosting PCLinuxOS. Wouldn't be simpler to do the whole debricking in Linux? I have to admit that I'm pretty illiterate in Linux and I'm half way through the debricking process on my Win7 already. I'm stuck in diags as stated in my post above. I'm going to post some screen shots later to be better understood.

Also, as I already flashed diags partition and diags and main kernel. Do I need to flash them again or can I skip this and pick up where I've dropped?

Last edited by WhiteDwarf72; 01-08-2013 at 08:33 AM.

Tags
debricking